Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yes, you did warn about this problem if I remember correctly, I've just made an image of my SD card work so far and now about to embark on the start up scripts which I have already got from your google drive site.
    Am I pushing my luck now to ask how I make my FR24 callsign a link on the web like yours ?
    Thanks for all your help and patience.
    T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

    Comment


    • to set the sig

      go to top right on the forum page, select settings - then in the left panel "edit signature"

      My sig is as below but with square brackets where curly ones are shown (I've swapped them in this post to prevent the forums software processing them)

      You'll see I've used http://goo.gl to reduce the size of the embedded URL, by the way this works because I have a fixed IP address from my ISP - if yours changes you may have to use dynamic DNS so there is a way from the internet to you as well as the more normal one where it's you going to the Internet


      {URL="http://goo.gl/3ntNoc"}T-EGBB19{/url} : RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home brew collinear 7m above ground level.
      Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-12-07, 17:05.

      Comment


      • I get Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 82.34.224.150:8080 ... I guess you've set port address translation up on your router to allow inbound port 8080

        Virgin media might not allow incoming connections.

        Comment


        • Virgin Media do block some ports, but this is mainly to stop viruses and trojans.

          http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...MER_TYPE=Cable

          It looks like 8080 is allowed according to Port Forwarding Ports List.

          http://portforward.com/cports.htm
          AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

          Comment


          • Originally posted by speedbird1960 View Post
            Virgin Media do block some ports, but this is mainly to stop viruses and trojans.

            It looks like 8080 is allowed according to Port Forwarding Ports List.
            Yep, that dawned on me earlier whilst out for my evening walk !! All set up and working now - I presume I'm not opening anything that will allow nasties to get in ??
            I set up crontab using Peter's config as 0 */5 * * * and expected the RPi to reboot at 8pm (20:00) but nothing happened ??

            John
            Last edited by milair; 2013-12-07, 20:09.
            T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by milair View Post
              Yep, that dawned on me earlier whilst out for my evening walk !! All set up and working now - I presume I'm not opening anything that will allow nasties to get in ??

              John
              Good to see you have got up + running and you have got great coverage overlapping Peters.

              Also you are showing on the Map.
              TOM26W
              Boeing 737-8K5
              Registration G-FDZJ
              Radar T-EGMC14

              Spotted another one of yours.
              IB3166 / IBE3166
              Iberia
              Aircraft(A333)
              Airbus A330-302
              Registration EC-LYF
              Radar T-EGMC14
              Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-12-08, 16:47.
              AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

              Comment


              • Originally posted by milair View Post
                Yep, that dawned on me earlier whilst out for my evening walk !! All set up and working now - I presume I'm not opening anything that will allow nasties to get in ??
                I set up crontab using Peter's config as 0 */5 * * * and expected the RPi to reboot at 8pm (20:00) but nothing happened ??

                John
                Doesn't reboot the pi, just restarts dump1090 and fr24feed - The linux should be very solid, and we only read from the SD card so shouldn't cause problems there

                Great coverage!

                We'll have to get speedbird on a Pi too

                Comment


                • Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                  We'll have to get speedbird on a Pi too
                  I have thought about getting a Pi, but i don't have much spare cash with the family commitments.

                  How much would it cost for the full set up.
                  AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by speedbird1960 View Post
                    I have thought about getting a Pi, but i don't have much spare cash with the family commitments.

                    How much would it cost for the full set up.
                    Raspberry Pi starter kit 43.95 from Amazon (Pi, case, sd card and 1A power supply). Dongle about 6 ebay. Mcx pigtails to suit antenna feed ... maybe 3 ebay ...dongle and mcx converter from China.

                    Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                      Raspberry Pi starter kit 43.95 from Amazon (Pi, case, sd card and 1A power supply). Dongle about 6 ebay. Mcx pigtails to suit antenna feed ... maybe 3 ebay ...dongle and mcx converter from China.

                      Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk
                      Thanks Peter, if i decided to go for it maybe the cost would probably be around 100 including cabling, i might get myself a money box and start saving.
                      AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by speedbird1960 View Post
                        Thanks Peter, if i decided to go for it maybe the cost would probably be around 100 including cabling, i might get myself a money box and start saving.
                        Or maybe Father Xmas could buy you a RPi on its own from Amazon, 27, as Peter says the Dongle is 6, case 2.50 off Ebay (but not important if you are going to leave the Pi in one place) I'm using a Nokia AC50X phone charger (Ebay 7.50) to power it as they are very efficient. I brought some MCX to BNC pigtails for 1.85 inc post from China, and then a BNC to F Type adaptor 0.99 inc post from China !! So then I just use Sky cable with F connectors which makes life easier.
                        Must admit the SD cards slipped into an order I did for work !!
                        I've actually removed my dongle from the plastic case and fitted it inside an aluminium diecast box, as the chips get very hot I have used thermal gap pads to conduct the heat away to the case. If anyone is interested I can put some pics up here.
                        Getting a bit into anorak mode now, better go !!
                        If you think my coverage is good now, wait till I get time to put the antenna on the top of the house !!
                        John
                        T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                          Doesn't reboot the pi, just restarts dump1090 and fr24feed - The linux should be very solid, and we only read from the SD card so shouldn't cause problems there

                          Great coverage!

                          We'll have to get speedbird on a Pi too
                          Aha, get it now ! Am I correct in thinking I could access it remotely using Putty if I also allow port 22 on my router ?
                          T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by milair View Post
                            Aha, get it now ! Am I correct in thinking I could access it remotely using Putty if I also allow port 22 on my router ?
                            I have forwarded private port 22 on my Pi's internal IP address to a high public port (a port above 40000) on my public (Internet) IP address. This allows me to access the Pi using my public IP address with the public port number. e.g. if your public IP is 202.15.32.4 and your SSH port 22 is forwarded to say port 40000 on your router, you can SSH into the Pi using the address 202.15.32.4:40000. If you're using putty, just put the public IP address and port number in the respective places when opening a new connection and save it for future use.

                            To access dump1090's webserver, which is on internal port 8080, you can easily forward port 8080 internal to another public port, maybe the next one in this example - port 40001. Then you can see the webpage generated by the Pi from anywhere on the Net at http://my.public.ip.address:40001

                            If you have dynamic IP addresses from your ISP, it becomes a lot easier if you use a dynamic DNS service. I use ddclient (sudo apt-get install ddclient) and zoneedit as my Dynamic DNS provider.

                            Hope that helps!
                            T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

                            Comment


                            • It's very easy to break the SD card holder with a bit of pressure to the SD card if you don't have a case for the Pi (the thin plastic that forms the 'runners' splits off and the card wont stay in) - a new SD card holder can be soldered on (yawn!) and is close to the cost of a case.

                              Agreed with Jayant about the port mapping - I wouldn't open port 22 ... it would receive many automated hack attacks per second.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                                It's very easy to break the SD card holder with a bit of pressure to the SD card if you don't have a case for the Pi (the thin plastic that forms the 'runners' splits off and the card wont stay in) - a new SD card holder can be soldered on (yawn!) and is close to the cost of a case.

                                Agreed with Jayant about the port mapping - I wouldn't open port 22 ... it would receive many automated hack attacks per second.
                                just shut port 22 now !! I tried setting ssh on my superhub2 to forward to port 40000 but the connection timed out .. does work using port 22 .. till I removed !
                                Last edited by milair; 2013-12-08, 13:54.
                                T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X