No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Jayant and Peter, I now realise I missed that command as I updated the OS last night then shut down till today. Sorry for my silly mistake but nice to know help is on hand...
    John
    T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

• Originally posted by milair View Post
      Thanks Jayant and Peter, I now realise I missed that command as I updated the OS last night then shut down till today. Sorry for my silly mistake but nice to know help is on hand...
      John
      No problem, when you're new to it sometimes you can't see the wood because of the trees that are in the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
        No problem, when you're new to it sometimes you can't see the wood because of the trees that are in the way.
        Thanks Peter, pleased to report it's now uploading to FR using my current account EGMC14, just have to copy your startup scripts today and make a better power supply so it can run most of the time.
        Last edited by milair; 2013-12-06, 08:52.
        T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

Thanks Peter, pleased to report it's now uploading to FR using my current account EGMC14, just have to copy your startup scripts today and make a better power supply so it can run most of the time.
          Mine feeds FR24 (and is quietly ignored) 24/7 for weeks at a time - proving very stable.

Comment

• Even better I have found I can still monitor all my received A/C using Virtual Radar Server concurrently with the FR24 feed.

Comment

Even better I have found I can still monitor all my received A/C using Virtual Radar Server concurrently with the FR24 feed.
              or adsbscope
              For official support use Contact Form

Comment

• Even better I have found I can still monitor all my received A/C using Virtual Radar Server concurrently with the FR24 feed.

Comment

Even better I have found I can still monitor all my received A/C using Virtual Radar Server concurrently with the FR24 feed.
                  or just point your browser at the RaspberryPi on your LAN at port 8080.

I wonder if the TV in our lounge is smart enough to do that on it's own without assistance from another box.

Comment

• Hi Peter, just one last bit of confusion, now I've got it running I start the RPi after login by these 3 lines:

./dump1090/dump1090 --net --net-sbs-port 30003 --quiet &
                    export FR24AUTHIP=83.140.247.20
                    ./fr24feed_arm-le_233s --fr24key=(removed data)

But your shell script states:
                    ./dump1090/dump1090 --net --net-sbs-port 30003 --quiet >/dev/null &
                    cd~
                    Are both correct ??

John

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                      or just point your browser at the RaspberryPi on your LAN at port 8080.

I wonder if the TV in our lounge is smart enough to do that on it's own without assistance from another box.
                      That doesn't work - just get Error opening HTML file: No such file or directory
                      If I type it as :30003 I can see the raw data ?

Comment

Hi Peter, just one last bit of confusion, now I've got it running I start the RPi after login by these 3 lines:

export FR24AUTHIP=83.140.247.20
                        ./fr24feed_arm-le_233s --fr24key=(removed data)

But your shell script states:
                        ./dump1090/dump1090 --net --net-sbs-port 30003 --quiet >/dev/null &
                        cd~
                        Are both correct ??

John
                        --net-sbs-port 30003 ... sets dump1090 to set up data in basestation format ... what fr24feed uses
                        --net ... allows you to access the map from a web browser - this is what you see if you hit the T-EGBB19 link in my sig
                        --quiet ... suppresses most of the output to the console ( also known as linux standard output device)
                        > /dev/null ... redirects what does do to standard output to the null device ( a black hole where it vanishes forever)
                        the "&" at the end says then shove the task into background and free up the console to do what's next

have a look at post 273 on this thread about adsbscope too

See https://github.com/antirez/dump1090

We also redirect the output from fr24feed to a file in /tmp ... temp exists in RAM, doing this frees up the console - but the file can be viewed if desired (or just the tail end of the file - details in the thread somewhere), the downside of doing this is that it could fill memory - but having a cron (timer) job to restart dump1090 & fr24feed every few hours causes the file to be discarded as a new one is created so memory doesn't fill. I don't think we can do this with dump1090 ... it produces too much data and would fill memory quickly. Of course we could write the files to the SD card ... but being flash memory, it does have a limit on how often a location can be written before it dies.

Comment

• Got it now (I think) just tried both variants of the script and both work - but I still get the browser error - I'm entering 192.168.0.12:8080 (IP of the RPi) but get no map ??

Comment

Got it now (I think) just tried both variants of the script and both work - but I still get the browser error - I'm entering 192.168.0.12:8080 (IP of the RPi) but get no map ??
                            is the "--net" parameter on the dump1090 line?

I'm just trying to remember if we had to do something with the linux firewall (like disable it, or at least allow connections from the outside to port 8080) - This would be done with something like
                            Code:
                            sudo raspi-config
                            Last edited by peterhr; 2013-12-07, 08:05.

Comment

• Peter -think I've found my error, referring to your setup guide
                              P4 lets do a quick test
                              ./dump1090 --interactive --net
                              I changed to the rtl1090 directory and this command works, and the web browser works on 8080
                              P5 Start Dump1090 in basestation mode
                              ./dump1090 --net --net-sbs-port 30003 --interactive (note you only show one dash before interactive in your docs)
                              This also works with the web browser
                              P6 Now we want to run dump1090 in a detached mode
                              Works but now the web browser on 8080 does not.

So I stopped dump1090 (kill all) then changed to root cd ~, then cd dump1090
                              Now if I run ./dump1090 --net --net-sbs-port 30003 --quiet &
                              It works and so does 8080 on the browser

As I said I'm a complete newbie with commands, but I'm chuffed I managed to figure it out - even though I don't really know the reason why except for the change in directories before starting dump1090

Comment

• ah yes, doc was edited using MS word ... is [not] helpful in converting a double dash into an em-dash or something

Thought I'd updated the doc to say that dump1090 needs to be run from it's home folder - presumably it collects content from there ... will correct (the fr24.sh script is correct I believe ... had to put it on the file share as a .txt to stop google drive converting it to something else).

Comment

Working...
                                X