Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Peter, Is your beagle bone set up the same as the Rpi? Same software and all or? I cancelled my order through amazon because they didn't ship it. (2) of them for 5 days with an overnight delivery I paid dearly for. I was pissed and I do that. I had no special overnight on the PI and got it in 3 days. go figure. Thinking about trying that also.
    Andy T-KTIK1

    RPI - http://Temporarily off Line due to t...98.37.214:8080

    Comment


    • Originally posted by andyk1 View Post
      Peter, Is your beagle bone set up the same as the Rpi? Same software and all or? I cancelled my order through amazon because they didn't ship it. (2) of them for 5 days with an overnight delivery I paid dearly for. I was pissed and I do that. I had no special overnight on the PI and got it in 3 days. go figure. Thinking about trying that also.
      The BBB setup was very similar - Wheezy on micro SD, had to add two components one for the build and one for the 'Killall' - main difference was I had to run it through a powered USB hub and run the dongle through the hub too. Power the BBB from the mini-usb socket, the 5.5mm coaxil socked didn't seem to enable the USB. Oh and needed micro HDMI to see what the thing was doing.

      see
      http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-FR24-(Wheezy)

      Comment


      • Originally posted by peterhr View Post
        The BBB setup was very similar - Wheezy on micro SD, had to add two components one for the build and one for the 'Killall' - main difference was I had to run it through a powered USB hub and run the dongle through the hub too. Power the BBB from the mini-usb socket, the 5.5mm coaxil socked didn't seem to enable the USB. Oh and needed micro HDMI to see what the thing was doing.

        see
        http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-FR24-(Wheezy)
        Ok Thanks. Well that won't work for my intended set up eventually. As I mentioned I was planning on a as small a package as possible with an intended range of at least 1.5 miles from me. Highest point for over 50 miles in all directions. Only maybe 50 feet above where I am now but still. I need to add 3 meters to my main antenna which would put me just even or slightly above the high point. I don't want to do that due to cost and safety issues. I'm sweating being a lightening target now. Do you know how much power your powered usb hub required. As I remember, Mine was 1 or 2 amp PSU. I don't have it here anymore as my computer has about 8 usb ports in the back and 4 up front with an 850 watt psu. One reason I want to cut back on power as I use 290-350 watts at idle. Ya it's a beast at 4.9 ghz overclocked. 4 ghz Normal run. Don't need a heater in my room in the winter hehehhe. Yes it's water cooled with a 340mm radiator and 9 fans. I think the Rpi consumes what maybe 7-10 watts max with the rtl and wifi dongle if that? With an added powered usb hub would require more power and maint . over time.
        Andy T-KTIK1

        RPI - http://Temporarily off Line due to t...98.37.214:8080

        Comment


        • see
          http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-FR24-(Wheezy)[/QUOTE]

          I missed this tread sorry. Was concentrating on this Rpi to much.
          I also see I already replied to you there but forgot.
          Last edited by andyk1; 2013-09-25, 15:07.
          Andy T-KTIK1

          RPI - http://Temporarily off Line due to t...98.37.214:8080

          Comment


          • Just set up WiFi on the Pi f

            sudo apt-get install wireless-tools wpasupplicant
            (both were already at latest version - might have done it before)

            then followed the instructions here -

            http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-...h-occidentalis

            (simple)

            Don't ask me what the wifi adaptor is, it's one I bought for 4 from Amazon 2+ years ago, I plugged it in and the Pi recognised it - this must be it

            pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lsusb
            Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
            Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
            Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
            Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T
            Bus 001 Device 005: ID 148f:3370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT3370 Wireless Adapter

            Comment


            • Originally posted by peterhr View Post
              Just set up WiFi on the Pi f

              sudo apt-get install wireless-tools wpasupplicant
              (both were already at latest version - might have done it before)

              then followed the instructions here -

              http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-...h-occidentalis

              (simple)

              Don't ask me what the wifi adaptor is, it's one I bought for 4 from Amazon 2+ years ago, I plugged it in and the Pi recognised it - this must be it

              pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lsusb
              Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
              Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
              Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
              Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T
              Bus 001 Device 005: ID 148f:3370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT3370 Wireless Adapter
              Hey Peter!!!

              Not sure if that was meant for me but I have my wireless working fine. Great actually with fantastic range. Pissing my wife off testing with the walkie talkies hehehe. No my problem which really isn't is that the Rpi has an unreliably connections (Roaming IP) connected through my wifi repeater. It's a hardware or software issue with netgear repeaters. Changes ip address every few minutes even with a static IP set on the repeater to the router and reserved IP and Mac on the router does no good. I don't really need the repeater link for what my plans are.
              Last edited by andyk1; 2013-09-27, 02:19.
              Andy T-KTIK1

              RPI - http://Temporarily off Line due to t...98.37.214:8080

              Comment


              • Tested the RPi on Watt and Amp draw. It consumes approx. "5 to 7" watts fluctuating back and forth. Mostly uses 0.7 amps average. From 0.5 to 0.8 amps with wifi, keyboard, hdmi, rtl-sdr dongles all hooked up. Consumes 0.6 to 0.7 but closer to .8 when the skies are busy.. With just Wifi and RTL-SDR dongle it's .7amps average. My 20amp/Hour lead acid battery lasted just over 27-28 hours before voltage dropped to 10.5 volts. So that tells me I'll need probably a 15 watt solar panel with the added draw from charge controller and cig lighter usb charger. With the heat sinks I purchaced at the same time as the pi it runs at 110-115 deg (46 Celsius) a bit warmer than I'd hoped but maybe not an issue outdoors in the fall and mild winter months.

                Still have antenna reception problems --enable-agc and --gain <db>but working on it. No reception problem on the PC running RTL1090 Ver 102B

                Andy
                Andy T-KTIK1

                RPI - http://Temporarily off Line due to t...98.37.214:8080

                Comment


                • Originally posted by andyk1 View Post
                  Hey Peter!!!

                  Not sure if that was meant for me but I have my wireless working fine. Great actually with fantastic range. Pissing my wife off testing with the walkie talkies hehehe. No my problem which really isn't is that the Rpi has an unreliably connections (Roaming IP) connected through my wifi repeater. It's a hardware or software issue with netgear repeaters. Changes ip address every few minutes even with a static IP set on the repeater to the router and reserved IP and Mac on the router does no good. I don't really need the repeater link for what my plans are.
                  Nope, not directed at anyone - just material for the thread, in case others want to do it. I'm not having issues with IP changes etc, the DHCP reservation is working fine (My router is a Drayek Vigor 2710n (British make don't know it's availability elsewhere, I was having problems getting the previous netgear to work with Samsung Android phones). I have notice the ping time over wifi is much greater than wired.

                  Andy, Does the cig lighter USB charger get warm (wasting energy)? - the one I'm using (ebay item 321166829169) remains cool to the touch.

                  Just curious is a 15W panel 15W only in full sunlight?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                    Andy, Does the cig lighter USB charger get warm (wasting energy)? - the one I'm using (ebay item 321166829169) remains cool to the touch.

                    Just curious is a 15W panel 15W only in full sunlight?
                    Actually Peter it does a bit and I'm already looking into building a voltage regulator or maybe saving time and getting a better quality one. Was only maybe $10 usd. The panel (the one i plan on using for testing) Is a 15 watt but varies from 15 to 18 volts (Charge controller is made to handle it) under no load. To be honest I may have to rethink the wattage as we have frequent Storms and cloud cover during certain times of the year. Winter being one. All in all I think it will work or may need a bit more power if' I'm going to run that heating resister (10 watt) and Your Great find on a thermostate) winter. Also need to redo the whole thing once I get a better Wi-Fi adapter. More than likely more power. Not sure if you saw today but the dump1090 did get out pretty good this morning and late afternoon with over a 100 aircraft and at times with 20 or so showing on screen. Still not as good as what it was but working on it. Waiting for a reply from Robb on github who really knows his Um Crap so we'll see

                    Andy

                    P.S. Yes the solar panels are in direct sunlight for about 12-13 hours a day this time of year. Winter maybe 8 hours. (Midwest US) Have approx. 600 watts charging 4 Large Truck Batteries for power outages.
                    Last edited by andyk1; 2013-09-27, 09:07.
                    Andy T-KTIK1

                    RPI - http://Temporarily off Line due to t...98.37.214:8080

                    Comment


                    • Technical Problems?

                      Hello,
                      im new in feeding planes to FR24. I buyed the DVB-T stick from 1090mhz.com and started.

                      I tried everything on windows (with few problems like Feeder don't "likes" the planes (rtl1090 says 20 AC and feeder too few AC))
                      after i Used rtl1090beta it works and i have now the radar T-EDQD5.

                      Now me question:

                      I feed it now with my raspberry over dump1090 and fr24feed_arm-le_225s. The feeder says at start something like that:

                      [n]EDQD5@83.140.247.21:8099/UDP
                      [n]connecting
                      [b]connected
                      [b]working
                      [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=33599
                      [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=29820
                      [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=33743
                      [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=32065
                      [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=29820
                      [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=33643
                      [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=32172
                      [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=32172
                      [n]connected
                      [n]switching to UDP
                      [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=33372
                      [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=33372
                      [e]Data feed time difference too big abs( - )=29820
                      [n]working
                      [i]Data feed time difference OK abs( - )=0
                      false timezone on my pi?
                      after that it sends planes:

                      [i]sent 9 planes in 1 packets
                      [i]sent 10 planes in 1 packets
                      [i]sent 10 planes in 1 packets
                      [i]sent 7 planes in 1 packets
                      [i]sent 8 planes in 1 packets
                      [i]sent 9 planes in 1 packets
                      [i]sent 9 planes in 1 packets
                      [i]sent 12 planes in 1 packets
                      [i]sent 11 planes in 1 packets
                      the dump1090 finds over 15 planes.

                      i start the Programs with this commands:

                      Feeder: FR24AUTHIP=83.140.247.20 ./fr24feed_arm-le_233s --fr24key=*************
                      and dump1090 over service in /etc/init.d with this command: /home/pi/dump1090 --enable-agc --interactive --net --net-ro-port 31001 --net-sbs-port 30003
                      I dont find any filter with my radar and no plane.


                      Sorry for my "bad"? english im from germany

                      Foxconn11
                      Feeding With dump1090 and a DVB-T stick oh i forgot: on a raspberry pi

                      Comment


                      • Not all planes send their location information. So neither does the upload software. Smaller aircraft only have Mode-S registration/altitude information which the site cannot use. So there will often be a difference in numbers on your list vs what is uploaded
                        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

                        Comment


                        • So there will often be a difference in numbers on your list vs what is uploaded
                          ok good to know. But why i can't find my radar on the filters? The most planes that flight over us is Boing and Airberlin. In another Thread i read anything from "T-... is for testing" what does that mean?

                          greetings
                          Feeding With dump1090 and a DVB-T stick oh i forgot: on a raspberry pi

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Foxconn11 View Post
                            ok good to know. But why i can't find my radar on the filters? The most planes that flight over us is Boing and Airberlin. In another Thread i read anything from "T-... is for testing" what does that mean?

                            greetings
                            Hi,

                            If your Pi is running from the instructions or image posted here - then it's running with time zone UTC ... The actual time zone used on the receiver doesn't really mater to humans or the technology for things like this but I have learned the hard way on other systems that is's sometimes best to just avoid the changes that switching clocks from summer time to winter time and back ... and use of UTC does avoid it. How does your Pi connect to the Internet (wired or WiFi) - The Pi gets it's time from Internet time servers and the time difference messages could be because the Pi time isn't set yet (especially if WiFi).

                            The fastest receiver to process the signals is the one that succeeds in getting used for the FR24 web page ... in Germany (like the UK) that will usually be an "F" receiver ... the Flight Radar 24 supplied receivers. My radar uploads a similar number to yours, but I rarely see it on the FR24 page for the same reason. (currently my radar's not working - wonder if the WiFi has caused the Pi to hang ... have to check it when I get home from work).

                            T-MLAT is for FR24's Multilateration tests ... the plane doesn't transmit it's location but four or more 'F-' receivers can work out where it is by accurate measurement of when they receive (to within a few nano-seconds) the signals from the plane and triangulation.

                            Andy: (Off the wall thought) It might be cheaper on energy to have a small motor pull an insulating cover over the Pi if it's gets too cold (or close the cooling vents - see ebay item 400577406801) LOL
                            Last edited by peterhr; 2013-09-27, 12:00.

                            Comment


                            • Pi stopped doing anyhing while on WiFi - have put a cron job in 27 0 * * * sudo reboot (reboot at 27 minutes past midnight) ... lets see how it goes.

                              Pi will be off for sometime today anyway ... slightly taller mast going under the antenna

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Foxconn11 View Post
                                Hello,
                                im new in feeding planes to FR24. I buyed the DVB-T stick from 1090mhz.com and started.

                                I tried everything on windows (with few problems like Feeder don't "likes" the planes (rtl1090 says 20 AC and feeder too few AC))
                                after i Used rtl1090beta it works and i have now the radar T-EDQD5.

                                Now me question:

                                I feed it now with my raspberry over dump1090 and fr24feed_arm-le_225s. The feeder says at start something like that:


                                false timezone on my pi?
                                after that it sends planes:



                                the dump1090 finds over 15 planes.

                                i start the Programs with this commands:



                                I dont find any filter with my radar and no plane.


                                Sorry for my "bad"? english im from germany

                                Foxconn11
                                You may have the same problem I have. In RTL1090 Windows software I used auto settings for both gains. In Dump1090 I have to use --enable-agc --gain 43.9

                                "./dump1090 --enable-agc --gain 43.9 --net --net-sbs-port 30003 --quiet --aggressive --lat 35.50 --lon -97.32 > $"

                                The only way I can pull more signal
                                Andy T-KTIK1

                                RPI - http://Temporarily off Line due to t...98.37.214:8080

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X