No announcement yet.

Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfortunately bhaal, until I am comfortable with it feeding MLAT to both FA and FR, I won't be upgrading. Appears to be too many issues at this point in time getting the two to co-habit...

I intend to get a second RPi to try and get it working when time (and to a lesser extent, dollars) allows.....
    T-YSBK22

Comment

• Originally posted by rodeo View Post
      Unfortunately bhaal, until I am comfortable with it feeding MLAT to both FA and FR, I won't be upgrading. Appears to be too many issues at this point in time getting the two to co-habit...

I intend to get a second RPi to try and get it working when time (and to a lesser extent, dollars) allows.....
      I'm not good at making instructions so if these aren't clear before proceeding let me know and I will clarify, hopefully the mods won't mind..

EDIT: Included step to do the signup process again so FR know you wish to participate in the MLAT trials...

1. Make a copy of your existing /etc/fr24feed.ini file.
      2. Stop the FA software, stop whatever dump1090 you are running, make sure THAT dump1090 doesn't start again (on boot etc).
      3. Install the new fr24feed deb package from the repo, let it overwrite the /etc/fr24feed.ini (because you MADE A BACKUP).
      4. run fr24feed --signup and enter your previous fr24key and the other details it wants to know, the server end needs this otherwise it will ignore MLAT data you send.
      5. copy the lines for mlat from the new config into the old config, and then switch the config files over (probably make a backup of the new file just for special occasions)
      6. install new FA deb package, but not the dump1090 package.
      7. sudo piaware-config -mlatResultsFormat "basestation,listen,31003" this will stop the PA mlat client sending mlat positions back to dump1090 (and therefore stop it screwing everything up for fr24feed) and also allow you to add the feed mlat position feed to VRS on port 31003.
      8. Sit back and enjoy

I have asked if there will be a way to get the mlat positions from the fr24feed but haven't heard back about it, though I suspect fr24feed is one way and only gives Mode-S + ADS-B data to the servers and the servers give nothing back...
      This setup is working for me so far, without sending false info to FR or FA as far as I can tell...

Regards,
      T-YBBN50
      Last edited by bhaal; 2015-07-19, 03:00.
      T-YBBN50 - Kallangur, QLD, Australia

Comment

• Hi Guys,

Wondering if you wouldn’t mind taking a look at this for me. Used to feed a few years ago but due to house moves, crap internet connectivity, internet black holes ect I had to stop. I am now back on deck where I want to start feeding from my office where I have a good permanent connection and I have attempted to set up again but have hit a few hurdles. I have installed this on a Windows 7 Box and I have it all up and running but it’s not feeding aircraft.

Now since I last used this software things have changed, there is a new application and I have never had this working before. I know the information is in here somewhere in the forum but its scattered everywhere, most of it pertains to old versions of the software and I should be researching stuff for my software business instead of screwing around with this.

If you could take a look at the screenshots which I have attached hopefully there is enough info there for someone to spot what is wrong. Any help would be really appreciated.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by bappleby; 2015-07-19, 01:52.

Comment

• And another two files showing the RTL1090 shots as I exceeded more thank 5 attachmentsRTL1090 Config Settings.PNGRTL1090.PNG.....

Comment

• And some further information from my Premium Account that I have managed to reset the password and log into.

Strange thing here is it seems as though according to the Availability Stats that I am sending data in?

Is all this because my account is not active or something? If you look at Account Info it shows Accounts status: Not active. Immediately they recognise my feed I would expect that would change status to active?

Availability Stats.PNGAccount Info.PNG

Comment

• Originally posted by bappleby View Post
              And some further information from my Premium Account that I have managed to reset the password and log into.

Strange thing here is it seems as though according to the Availability Stats that I am sending data in?

Is all this because my account is not active or something? If you look at Account Info it shows Accounts status: Not active. Immediately they recognise my feed I would expect that would change status to active?
              It should change I'd imagine, within a minute or so... Just use the same fr24key as you used to do I guess, if you are in the same local area as previously I don't think you will need to start a new radar ID etc..?

Comment

• Thanks T-YBBN50,

Unfortunately I have been waiting more than a minute, its been over 2 days and still nothing. I am regularly seeing up to 15 AC here and I would have thought it would at least be feeding some data. I suspect that something is wrong with my configuration or account but I am using the original FR24 key and I am in the same location as when I originally received my key.

Comment

• Hi fellow Wagganite

I wonder if the fr24 key could be unactivated due (email support and ask if this is the case) [ignore that, noticed you are feeding from time to time] to it not being used for such a long time, I'm not sure. I'm using one that feeds to FR24 and FA (T-YSWG2, which is a Raspberry Pi 2) and have a FR24 box (F-YSWG1), though the latter is offline due to the cockies attacking the antenna (replacement is up but need to feed the new cable to the FR24 box).

T-YSWG2 was originally running on a Windows 7 system but issues with the feed dropping out meant that I had to move over to a Linux system, which solved that but I then was successful in hosting an FR24 box, which saw T-YSWG2 retire until a year later when I got the RPi.

Edit:
                  Looking at the second image (FR24 Feeder Settings), the Host/IP is blank, have you tried "localhost:31001" (I think that is the port number, if not try 30001)?

With the account not activated for the premium, contact support.
                  Last edited by YSWG; 2015-07-19, 10:53.
                  F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Originally posted by YSWG View Post
                    Hi fellow Wagganite

I wonder if the fr24 key could be unactivated due (email support and ask if this is the case) [ignore that, noticed you are feeding from time to time] to it not being used for such a long time, I'm not sure. I'm using one that feeds to FR24 and FA (T-YSWG2, which is a Raspberry Pi 2) and have a FR24 box (F-YSWG1), though the latter is offline due to the cockies attacking the antenna (replacement is up but need to feed the new cable to the FR24 box).

T-YSWG2 was originally running on a Windows 7 system but issues with the feed dropping out meant that I had to move over to a Linux system, which solved that but I then was successful in hosting an FR24 box, which saw T-YSWG2 retire until a year later when I got the RPi.

Edit:
                    Looking at the second image (FR24 Feeder Settings), the Host/IP is blank, have you tried "localhost:31001" (I think that is the port number, if not try 30001)?
                    Do you have a homebrew antenna on the Pi feeder? if so, how does it compare to the FR24 antenna when they are running at the same time?

Comment

• RPi does have a homebrew antenna, reverted to a failed build (no time to build a replacement) as the one I was using was destroyed as well. Both homebrew antennas have less range then the FR24 antenna (in the same location and height).Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 9.01.00 PM.png
                      Last edited by YSWG; 2015-07-19, 11:05.
                      F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Hi there fellow Wagga feeder,

Well I was reading that someone said not to run RTL1090 and the feeder software at the same time so I shut down RTL1090 and now it seems to be feeding fine, trouble is I made so many changes at the same time I don't know what has caused it to suddenly work. I also emailed support regarding my account and I don't know if they have changed something buy it appears I am up and running. PM me your details so I can talk with you off line and not bog down the thread.

Comment

• I don't think PM has been activated on this forum. :/ I can be contacted via http://www.crowingstudios.com/pages/contact/
                          F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

RPi does have a homebrew antenna, reverted to a failed build (no time to build a replacement) as the one I was using was destroyed as well. Both homebrew antennas have less range then the FR24 antenna (in the same location and height).
                            Ah ok, Just wondering whether it was worth getting proper antenna at some point, but I might try raising the antenna first, I get on average over 300km to my north, but have 2 storey houses and trees to my south an south west, antenna is about 1.5mtrs off the roof of a single storey house.. Um 16 element coco.. If I can I am going to attempt to get it about 6mtrs above the roof and see how that goes, just need a longer pole

Comment

I don't think PM has been activated on this forum. :/ I can be contacted via http://www.crowingstudios.com/pages/contact/
                              Done, go the Crow......

Comment

• Personally, with the DBT stick, I wouldn't bother too much getting a expensive antenna. You'd only see a slight improvement, if you've done the homebrew correctly. If you were getting an ADS-B receiver, then getting a expensive antenna is a must have if you want to get the most from the box.

Raising it will help, example is the FR24 (before going offline) box could pick-up aircraft taxiing from the disused control tower and on the runway (buildings block the rest of the taxiway from the disused control tower to the terminal) and I'm in fact a few metres below the airport and about 11km as the crow flies, having the antenna 2m (~10m off the ground, 2 storey building) above the roof gives it a better view above but the homebrew (using the DBT) on the other hand can only get them to ~300m before dropping off before the Sturt Hwy or Elizabeth Ave.
                                F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

Working...
                                X