Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bhaal View Post
    Yeah, what you described is what I started with till I found the new stuff, which I only did as they are trying to unify the data to make sure there are less mistakes and dodgy data.. That said, it still uses Malcolm Robbs dump1090 (or the original if you like) and you can still connect other feeders to it and still use all the switches that are normally available. With any luck all will be well tomorrow at 0419 and I will still be sending with the right versions of stuff...
    Antirez's was the original, Malcolm forked it and made it much better with more options, and does so often when needed, I dont know what ?FR24 does to it, which might conflict with my other requirements.

As for accuracy, thats only when it suits them there are other threads that explain what I mean there and I wont flog the same dead horse in this one.

and whats at 0419? debian box need to be restarted? lol <tongue in cheek>
    Last edited by Ressy; 2015-01-26, 02:18. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by Ressy View Post
      NVK does have adsb capability, I've seen it locally sometimes, but not for a while now though, cant figure that one out, unless its, well, on purpose, given its Police
      Possibly when doing operations they switch it off or didn't realise how public it was.

Interesting to see the range of the RTL dongle vs the FR24 box, do have to admit that the RTL antenna isn't tuned but at the similar height as the FR24 antenna.

The greatest range is the FR24 equipment, the RTL range is the darker black.
      IMG_20150126_213103.jpg
      F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Originally posted by YSWG View Post
        Possibly when doing operations they switch it off or didn't realise how public it was.

Interesting to see the range of the RTL dongle vs the FR24 box, do have to admit that the RTL antenna isn't tuned but at the similar height as the FR24 antenna.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5546[/ATTACH]
        The problem with that is, the frr24 box has a pre amplifier in it, to do a fair test, you'd need the exact type of preamp and put it on the dongle.

Comment

The problem with that is, the frr24 box has a pre amplifier in it, to do a fair test, you'd need the exact type of preamp and put it on the dongle.
          Ohhhh, didn't know they had a pre-amp .. I was of the understanding that would just amplify the noise if it's at the end of the cable?
          T-YBBN50 - Kallangur, QLD, Australia

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5546[/ATTACH]
            YSWG .. Is it possible to put the FR24 antenna on the RTL dongle and vice versa? That would be a good test...

Comment

Ohhhh, didn't know they had a pre-amp .. I was of the understanding that would just amplify the noise if it's at the end of the cable?
              Yes, it does amplify signal and noise, the best spot for any amp is at the base of the antenna to maximise effect, it of course will amplify from device end, but not as effectively.

I have a 20 mtr active USB lead, one day I'ma gunna "tape" the dongle and its own antenna to the existing pvc ant, and see what improvements I get I have 15 mtrs of RG6, although its loss characteristics are not as bad as if this were for vhf/uhf comms band, its still a bit lossy, just how much , who knows.

Comment

YSWG .. Is it possible to put the FR24 antenna on the RTL dongle and vice versa? That would be a good test...
                considering the dongle is 75 ohm, and the fr24 box is 50 ohm, it would work, but I suspect not very well.

Comment

Yes, it does amplify signal and noise, the best spot for any amp is at the base of the antenna to maximise effect, it of course will amplify from device end, but not as effectively.

I have a 20 mtr active USB lead, one day I'ma gunna "tape" the dongle and its own antenna to the existing pvc ant, and see what improvements I get I have 15 mtrs of RG6, although its loss characteristics are not as bad as if this were for vhf/uhf comms band, its still a bit lossy, just how much , who knows.
                  Ahhhh, I *could* pre-amp but I have the feeling it might overdrive the dongle, considering the Pi is at the end of a 1mtr piece of coax at the base of the mast.. I have the Pi running via PoE, the same as I have done for the other 3 Pi's up the top of that mast...

Comment

considering the dongle is 75 ohm, and the fr24 box is 50 ohm, it would work, but I suspect not very well.
                    Hmmm, my dongle which I got from Adafruit has a 50 ohm input, so for me that wouldn't be an issue... (I have a 30cm pigtail of the original 50ohm coax from the little internal magnetic antenna so that its not 75ohm being shunted straight into the dongle)...

Comment

Negative, would need to get an MCX/SMA adapter and would need to take the FR24 box off the air for a significant amount of time, which is not possible.

I want to get 10m of LMR400 and the same/similar antenna but not going to happen in the short term (Avalon and Uni are around the corner).

Should give you a better idea without aircraft.
                      IMG_20150126_233954.jpg
                      F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

Negative, would need to get an MCX/SMA adapter and would need to take the FR24 box off the air for a significant amount of time, which is not possible.

I want to get 10m of LMR400 and the same/similar antenna but not going to happen in the short term (Avalon and Uni are around the corner).

Should give you a better idea without aircraft.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]5547[/ATTACH]
                        What size are your range circles?

Comment

• 9 rings every 50 km
                          F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Here are my results with the FR24 hardware vs my USB dongle. The rings are 50 km apart - same as YSWG's - with the outermost ring being 450 km. The USB stick has a DIY dipole antenna and is on the same mast as the FR24 antenna.
                            usbvsfr24.png

Where the FR24 setup has a particularly large gain compared with the USB stick is where LoS is obstructed (namely, around 0 to 135 degrees).

Ignore that line straight out east - it was caused by a LAN flight (CC-CQC) sending out spurious ADS-B locations.

Comment

• Originally posted by eastons View Post

"Ignore that line straight out east - it was caused by a LAN flight (CC-CQC) sending out spurious ADS-B locations."
                              eastons,

I'm staggered that they haven't chipped LAN over their spurious ADS-B longitude signals as it has been occurring for years. I've had discussions with Air Services Australia about them. A number of their aircraft have been doing so (I've had them out to 14,000 miles or so at times on my SBS Basestation) and I would have expected that since the introduction of compulsory equipping/usage of this technology here in Australia above FL290 that they would have been forced to comply. I think they are planning to drop the route, or at least change the aircraft type soon (787?) so that may fix the problem.

... and my plot isn't quite as good range wise as that one of yours and in some directions a bit more patchy, but not by very much. I can reach the Victorian border at times (and past it on rare occasions depending on weather conditions, but mostly only 'spots'). East, and South East is knackered due to the city etc but most other directions similar as yours. My 'night vision' is also better than during the day but I rarely run the unit then. I live in 'Frog's Hollow'

PLOTTER4.jpg

Regards,
                              Gregg
                              Last edited by fungus; 2015-01-27, 04:07.
                              YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• I have used the FR24 antenna with the dongle and it doesn't receive the same number of decoded messages. I get a similar range with either the FR24 antenna or my cantenna using the dongle. The antennas are the same height.

When I put the cantenna on the FR24 receiver i also get a similar range to the dongle - just a lot more decoded messages.

Obviously the FR24 receiver and the FR24 antenna are closely matched and achieve pretty close to optimal perfomance.
                                Last edited by stanno; 2015-01-27, 04:07. Reason: context

Comment

Working...
                                X