Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks

Originally posted by YSWG View Post
    Welcome! Great to see another FR24 host. May take a little while before you get your F-YSCB# code, you may have a temporary radar code.

There is also 7 day stats at https://www.flightradar24.com/premium/feed_stats.php

You can also view the box, which will give you quite abit of info. Check the IP that the router has allocated, in my case it is 10.0.0.26.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5317[/ATTACH]
    Thanks for the Welcome. FR24 wrote to me last night and indicated I am F-YSCB3 - Seems to be working OK. Cheers Rich

Comment

• Hi All, I got the free gear and got it set up and running on Dec 20. I am just out of Mildura in North West Vic and get a good view of the Virgin, REX and Qantaslink services to Mildura (MQL) as well as the Sydney to Adelaide/Perth and Brisbane to Adelaide traffic. I appear as F-YMIA2.
      Cheers
      Last edited by gconner; 2015-01-01, 07:20.

Comment

• F-YSWG1 is scheduled to be offline for approximately five hours from 9am AEDT on the 20th (10pm UTC on the 19th), due to a scheduled power outage.
        Last edited by YSWG; 2015-01-14, 11:15.
        F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Noticed something interesting, over the past week, we've had a very moist tropical airmass over the southeast part of the country, which reduced my range by 20 to 30 miles. Now it has dried out, my range has returned.
          F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Hi all,

Just noticed one of my contacts on F-YGEL3 was 306nm, aka 566km. I'm not sure what how that goes but I think it's pretty impressive
            2015-01-16 10_37_23-Flightradar24.com - Premium.png

Comment

• Originally posted by numloxx View Post
              Hi all,

Just noticed one of my contacts on F-YGEL3 was 306nm, aka 566km. I'm not sure what how that goes but I think it's pretty impressive
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]5444[/ATTACH]

If you don't normally have that kinda altitude and outlook, that can be common in RF signals with what's known as an "inversion layer", I've often had radio contact with repeaters hundreds of kilometres away, they can go almost as quick as they come, most are around for a couple hours, they will fade in and out sometimes, the longest I've known in 400mhz band was abpout 9 hours.

Comment

• or what they call tropospheric ducting (also called tropo)

Anyone got ideas on keeping the cockatoos off the antenna? Had them wake me up 5:30am this morning, they've already damaged my airband antenna and cabling. :/
                F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Originally posted by YSWG View Post

Anyone got ideas on keeping the cockatoos off the antenna? Had them wake me up 5:30am this morning, they've already damaged my airband antenna and cabling. :/
                  Shoot 'em..... (Don't you wish you could sometimes)

Seriously, I've also had this problem with my antenna and cabling with cockatoos, galahs and long billed corellas. About all I can suggest is that I've had to resort to adding extra layers of weather proof tape and electrical tape in the 'chewing zones' and keeping as much cable vertical (as far as possible) rather than horizontal. Not only on the cable but on the plastic sheathing at the base of the antenna too which they ripped into. I've also tried to give them nothing on which to gain a purchase or foothold. They seem to also love the guy wires but I cant (nor would I recommend) removing those!

Hope this helps.

Regards,
                  Gregg

... Just had an afterthought, what about something like wrapping barbed wire where they 'roost' (obviously you cant wrap your antenna in it)?
                  Last edited by fungus; 2015-01-19, 01:47. Reason: update, afterthought
                  YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• No wire, make it rather unsightly for the neighbours. :/

They don't seem to care about the must and antennas being vertical, in fact I think they see it as a challenge! Will try the tape idea tomorrow, since I'll have no power.
                    F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

No wire, make it rather unsightly for the neighbours. :/

They don't seem to care about the must and antennas being vertical, in fact I think they see it as a challenge! Will try the tape idea tomorrow, since I'll have no power.
                      Please read the "Best Antenna" tread. Latest idea by Birdie - put a fake eagle on the antenna.

Comment

• They don't work, got the real deal (eagles) but the cockatoos are not bothered by them.
                        F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Why not enclose the cables with wire mesh

Comment

No wire, make it rather unsightly for the neighbours. :/

There may also be another possibility. You may be able to try flexible PVC conduit (at least for covering the cabling) from an electrical wholesaler. Most sell 1cm (approx. half inch) in short cut lengths so you don't need to buy full rolls. Just not sure of it's UV characteristics as all the old PVC conduits that I used to use as a sparky were not UV protected and the SAA wiring rules mandated had to be painted so may degrade in time. Not at all sure with modern flex PVC. You may only need cover a short length of the cable run near the antenna where they can get a foothold, not necessarily the whole thing.

Regards,
                            Gregg
                            Last edited by fungus; 2015-01-19, 12:41.
                            YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• Been thinking of doing that. Shall see what the cost is.

My VRS server is off but kept FR24 box on. So far no power outage. Got to love the incompetent power provider.

Power went off at 9:50am AEDT, 50 minutes later then scheduled.
                              Last edited by YSWG; 2015-01-19, 23:26.
                              F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

Been thinking of doing that. Shall see what the cost is.

My VRS server is off but kept FR24 box on. So far no power outage. Got to love the incompetent power provider.

Power went off at 9:50am AEDT, 50 minutes later then scheduled.
                                That's why I do like living in the 'big smoke' (sometimes). Reliable (and underground) power.

Gregg

Comment

Working...
                                X