Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are so many solutions.

If you want the pi up the mast, use one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/271284258951 up the mast with the Pi - feed it 10 - 20v ... then if you get volt drop in the supply cable it doesn't matter.
    To get the 12v (or whatever) up the mast, consider these http://www.ebay.com/itm/121100493562 and conectors like these (M + F you can search them out) http://www.ebay.com/itm/121416140693

I've fitted a satallite LNB amplifier similar to http://www.ebay.com/itm/350455332373 to the base of my antenna powered up the coax - power is inserted using one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/221457117112. The amplifier is designed to pass power to a satellite reciever block further up the wire, if your antenna shows a short circuit to a resistance test meter - you would need to block the power from reaching the antenna http://www.ebay.com/itm/251306486354 (search around - you need one not 10)

I didn't have much luck with the active USB on the Pi - I don't think it could manage the power requirement.

Check the links in my sig

Comment

• Hi Ressy, I am using a PI with a usb realtek dongle and I may be able to throw some comments your way.
      I use a 10 mtr active usb -run up the mast to the usb dongle / antenna, and it works very well. I purchased 2 new usb cables from china, one cable worked ok, the other one would not.
      I use a 12v battery and a 12v to 5v cigarette lighter adaptor with 2 usb outlets. I also use a powered hub, but it will work ok without.
      I will take some pics later for you to examine
      Mike
      Attached Files
      Last edited by YWYY; 2014-08-24, 07:15.

Comment

• Noumea feeder back on the air

I know its not an Aussie feeder but it's close enough to be one. So good to see Noumea up again after being absent for a few weeks. These Pacific island feeders do a great job often against significant obstacles like power and internet failures not to mention regular cyclones. I'd love to see the operators of Noumea and the two in Vanuatu come on the forum as well as the one in Fiji which has been down for many months.

Comment

• Originally posted by YWYY View Post
          Hi Ressy, I am using a PI with a usb realtek dongle and I may be able to throw some comments your way.
          I use a 10 mtr active usb -run up the mast to the usb dongle / antenna, and it works very well. I purchased 2 new usb cables from china, one cable worked ok, the other one would not.
          I use a 12v battery and a 12v to 5v cigarette lighter adaptor with 2 usb outlets. I also use a powered hub, but it will work ok without.
          I will take some pics later for you to examine
          Mike
          Ahh excellent, was gunna say if the RPi has not got 1 watt of power to spare, the project would die a fast death
          in fact likely less, my power meter cant measure anything under 1 watt, and both my dongles sit on 1 watt.

Comment

• Thanks numloxx, Ressy and nice setup YWYY.

I re-visited the RG-58 cable as it's easier to get the mast up higher using it - the loss from it wasn't as bad as I thought, basically I can detect aircraft from the Northern Beaches out to Canberra rather than the NSW/VIC border without it. I've ordered a 3m power cable from the UK as it would be good to get the best coverage possible but also considering changing from RG58 to CLF400 if the power is a problem or maybe both.
            YSSY33

Comment

• What does the polar graph look like?
              If you are getting 200nm in some directions, and nothing in others, that means the reception is being blocked, i'm guessing by the building it's attached to.
              Nothing you can do about that, except raise the height of the antenna so it has 360degree line of sight.

Comment

• VH-LEV was doing water bombing training south of Wagga today.
                Screenshot_2014-09-05-14-17-38.jpgScreenshot_2014-09-05-14-09-11.jpg
                F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Hi everyone,

I've recently started feeding to FlightRadar24 as 'YSSY32' and on PlanePlotter as 'jn' from southern Sydney. I'm using a DVB-t dongle with the stock whip antenna next to a window in my house and with that, I get around 300-350 km range (160-190 nm) in directions which aren't obstructed by my neighbours' houses, trees and terrain. Unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow for any equipment upgrades to gain greater range. Having said that, I'm surprised that the stock whip gets 350 km+. I've attached my polar plot (rings are 50 km each).
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by eastons; 2014-09-05, 15:25.

Comment

• I was wondering what everyone's largest of amount of planes tracked at the same time is. I don't check that often, but I recently saw 45 planes simultaneously here in Sydney.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by eastons View Post
                      I was wondering what everyone's largest of amount of planes tracked at the same time is. I don't check that often, but I recently saw 45 planes simultaneously here in Sydney.
                      180?, 75%+ have full ADSB ... I don't see the low ones approaching the London airports from Europe or it would be maybe 50% higher (check the T-EGBB19 link in my sig)

The main problem with the antenna that comes with the dongle is the 1m long lossy downlead - there's interesting stuff in http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...1-best-antenna (work backwards from the end)
                      Last edited by peterhr; 2014-09-08, 11:36.

Comment

• resizeDSC06334 -1.jpg A recent picture of F-YWHA1 & QF767 from Brisbane to Perth.

Comment

• Hi all. Anyone on this thread know how to buy an affordable filter with sma connectors?
                          Mini-circuits want $125 postage on a $39 filter. any other ideas. appreciated.
                          p.s. My receiver is at a telco site with broadcast rf as well as all the mobile phone carriers..

Comment

• Originally posted by F-YABA2 View Post
                            Hi all. Anyone on this thread know how to buy an affordable filter with sma connectors?
                            Mini-circuits want $125 postage on a $39 filter. any other ideas. appreciated.
                            p.s. My receiver is at a telco site with broadcast rf as well as all the mobile phone carriers..
                            Support will get back to you regarding the filter.

Comment

• Weird occurrence here today. VH-PPJ, Australian Maritime Search aircraft was operating in the Ballina area. On plane plotter I can clearly see the aircraft's ADSB signal but it did not show up on FR24 screen. As soon as it got within range of T-YBCG8 on departure it was shown on FR24 ? Similarly on its arrival in the area T-YSCH2 showed it but then it disappeared once out of it's range ?

On plane plotter all aircraft show up as yellow but VH-PPJ showed in white, occasionally showing yellow and the RSCU471 callsign. I had full coverage of it's overwater searching at 500' off the coast but nothing showed on FR ? ?

What could cause this ?
                              F-YBNA2

Comment

• I caught this on tv last week and was rather impressed.

All women crew headed to last location of OGG

60 Minutes recently followed the final flight for one of our retired 767 aircraft over to Victorville, United States. Catch a replay here.
                                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
                                X