X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealth
    replied
    Originally posted by airnrail View Post
    Still true I think. Many airlines add a few thousand onto the numeric part of the callsign if there are two in the air at the same time eg ACA033 becomes ACA2033 (a real example that occasionally happens on a flight into Oz). However, this can make it very difficult to find the delayed flight even on the airline's own website unless you know the revised callsign in advance.
    Polair was an issue during implementation, as every state had its own Polair One and they were often in the air at the same time. As an ATC who was also a radio amateur, my proposed solution was to the use the radio prefix for the state e.g. Polair 61 for WA, 21 for NSW etc. One of my better ideas :-)

Leave a comment:

• airnrail
    replied
    Originally posted by Stealth View Post
    Unless they have re-programmed the TAAATS system since I left, you cannot have two flights with the same callsign (flight plan) active at the same time.
    Still true I think. Many airlines add a few thousand onto the numeric part of the callsign if there are two in the air at the same time eg ACA033 becomes ACA2033 (a real example that occasionally happens on a flight into Oz). However, this can make it very difficult to find the delayed flight even on the airline's own website unless you know the revised callsign in advance.

Leave a comment:

• nomad77
    replied
    The HARS Convair is out flying today.

harscnv1.jpgharscnv.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Stealth
    replied
    Originally posted by PiRad108 View Post
    It makes sense a 3 number call sign has a limit of 999 flight numbers add 1 letter and 2 numbers and 2574 flight numbers. 2 letters and 1 number and 6084, going right up to full number letter combinations with a potential of 46656 possibilities.
    Anything to avoid 4 digit callsigns, they are awful. Even the attempt to change how they are spoken e.g. instead of 4 8 6 2 use forty-eight sixty-two is only a half measure to avoid numeric dyslexia.

Leave a comment:

• PiRad108
    replied
    Originally posted by nzradar View Post
    It is not an expansion and doesn't just relate to Australia. This will be a global change for Emirates where callsign suffixes exist for many airlines in the busy 'north'. Emirates has so many flights around the world that like many others they need to reduce possibility of confusion.
    It makes sense a 3 number call sign has a limit of 999 flight numbers add 1 letter and 2 numbers and 2574 flight numbers. 2 letters and 1 number and 6084, going right up to full number letter combinations with a potential of 46656 possibilities.

Leave a comment:

• Stealth
    replied
    Unless they have re-programmed the TAAATS system since I left, you cannot have two flights with the same callsign (flight plan) active at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• POR911
    replied
    Originally posted by ylis View Post
    I've occasionally seen Qantas use a callsign such as QF22D and had assumed this is because it was significantly delayed. Would this be right ? I suppose the 'two numbers' in the suffix instead of 'two letters' could allow this to continue and not add to the confusion .... ?

Peter
    I often see flights with the D appended to the flight number. I thought it was to do with the flight being delayed and as there is a possibility of the usual flight also being in the air much later, the delayed flight has the D appended so that you do not have two flight numbers in the air at the same time. Giving the delayed flight a new flight number causes great confusion for waiting/connecting pax, so the D while signifying a delayed flight for the original flight number.

Leave a comment:

• airnrail
    replied
    I've occasionally seen Qantas use a callsign such as QF22D and had assumed this is because it was significantly delayed. Would this be right ? I suppose the 'two numbers' in the suffix instead of 'two letters' could allow this to continue and not add to the confusion .... ?

Peter
    The only Qantas flights I've ever seen with a D suffix are those operated by Dash Q400 aircraft as distinct from the smaller Q300 and Q200 versions that Qantas also operate. The Q400s are actually operated by Sunstate Airlines, the other Dashs by Eastern Australia Airlines. Both of these are wholly owned QantasLink subsidiaries. QantasLink itself is a Qantas subsidiary! It's got a lot to do with salary levels and you can probably guess that the highest salaries are not generally found in the subsidiaries.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Or diversion completion of original route

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• nzradar
    replied

Peter
    Like Air New Zealand I don't see the need for QANTAS to use alpha-numeric callsigns and believe the suffix "D" still remains an indicator for a delayed scheduled flight. ANZ also use this suffix.

Leave a comment:

• ylis
    replied

Peter

Leave a comment:

• nzradar
    replied
    Originally posted by PiRad108 View Post
    It looks like Emirates is planning on expanding their fleet and routes a little. There is limited use of alphanumeric call signs that I have seen.
    It is not an expansion and doesn't just relate to Australia. This will be a global change for Emirates where callsign suffixes exist for many airlines in the busy 'north'. Emirates has so many flights around the world that like many others they need to reduce possibility of confusion.

Leave a comment:

• ylis
    replied
    This mornings A380 from Sydney to Dubai is using the new format callsign UAE8JH and flight number EK415 while the Melbourne - Dubai service hasnt changed. Interesting as the scheduled and actual departure times were identical. They are currently playing follow the leader across Western Australia.

I have my aircraft labels set to show callsign on the first row and not the flight numbers as many of the light aircraft apparently haven't configured the callsign field and it comes up blank. What do other feeders do ?

Leave a comment:

• PiRad108
    replied
    It looks like Emirates is planning on expanding their fleet and routes a little. There is limited use of alphanumeric call signs that I have seen.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    it may be global. kicking in our lunchtime or 0000z

it come in on ek412 but diff return. going to mess route dbase up

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X