No announcement yet.

Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will but and there too I experienced the same problem like everyone Moreover,I am squeezed between tall buildings and got reception problem from N,W and SW direction plus antenna is too small.

Comment

• i'll send you one DIY antenna when you come back
      For official support use Contact Form

Comment

• I dont need it.Already got 5 dB factory made there.

Comment

• airnrail said:
          a new feeder at the top end of Cape York Peninsula who is saddled with the code for the Amberley RAAF base near Ipswich which only permits civilian traffic in emergencies!
          I think you'll find that the Cape York ICAO location is YBAM (Bamaga) and hence he was called T-YBAM1 or similar.

Amberley is YAMB these days.

(Maybe you are as old as I am and can remember when Amberley was ABAM!!)

Paarmreader

Comment

• Originally posted by airnrail View Post
            Now I've just found T-YBBN11! Never seen it before.
            That's me!! I'm famous!!

Anyway, those paying attention can probably see that I'm in the Mt Ommaney area of Brisbane. Range is fairly limited for now, just using a RTL2832U/E4000 receiver and a piece of scrap wire bent roughly to the dimensions for 1090MHz reception. Still trying to work out how to get my RPi setup so I can put it in a better location, currently in a downstairs study with lots of electrical interference nearby.

At around 5-6pm tonight, I did see myself do a lot of feeding for the plane stuck in the holding pattern over the Goodna to Oxley area while the storm was sweeping across YBBN. I contributed!!

Anyway, still working stuff out but once I get more into it I hope I can help out more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Amper View Post
              Come back to Split
              ???? Split

Comment

• Split Croatia...city...LDSP

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk
                For official support use Contact Form

Comment

• Hi Echo, Yes I noticed a/c with your feed over Corinda way pop up and thought a local feed for this area. Congratulations...you made the big time...Now, just to replace that bit of wire, though a bit dangerous to be on the roof in this weather^^. Be interesting to find what suburbs feeds are located in Brisbane. There are main corridors to/from YBBN that a/c fly that would be ideal for feeds to be located. We need an antenna located at YBBN somewhere so we can see approach/ground/departure traffic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Amper View Post
                    Split Croatia...city...LDSP
                    Yes, sorry, I should have checked the LDSP with ICAO code.

Comment

• My current antenna is inside so it's safe(ish) but it is on the bottom floor of a 2 storey house so there's much improvement to be had.

I actually fed for a short time a while back (hence why I'm 11 while the latest IDs appear to be around 17) but I stopped after I reconfigured my computers/network and never set it back up again. I had a look at FR24 a few days back because I was wondering about a really loud jet that flew straight over my house. I noticed that the data was a bit holey so I scrambled to get my receiver back and running.

Comment

• Originally posted by Echo View Post
                        I had a look at FR24 a few days back because I was wondering about a really loud jet that flew straight over my house. I noticed that the data was a bit holey so I scrambled to get my receiver back and running.
                        That's the spirit!

Originally posted by POR911
                        There are main corridors to/from YBBN that a/c fly that would be ideal for feeds to be located. We need an antenna located at YBBN somewhere so we can see approach/ground/departure traffic.
                        Or a Yagi inline with someones current cable to increase said ground coverage. pleanty of examples of that around the world using a 2nd receiver or spliced into single antenna feed. Couple of easy DIY versions of them too with spaced out bars.

From where I am some KMs away from NZCH airport with a high gain on the opposite facing roof pitch I get constant down to about 300ft, and then patchy data packets from 0ft/gnd. But not really in a good enough position to add a yagi to my local else I would here too for my own enjoyment (already 2 covering gnd traffic here) :/
                        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Echo View Post
                          That's me!! I'm famous!!
                          Keep up the good work and great to see you.

Comment

• From a survey I had done (see below) I am definitely sitting in the hill shadow, but it's only a 20m obstruction and the transmissions from the tower should be bending plenty at 120MHz. My Uniden BC 780BLT Scanner radio is able to receive the Tower transmissions with a simple antenna in my roof cavity now. When I get my Discone up some 2-3 metres above my roof, this may strengthen the air band signals. Unless the weather is being kind, I do not usually hear the a/c on the ground. This last point makes me wonder about my future ability to receive 1090MHz signals from a/c when at a low level or on the ground. If I can't achieve this, then I am not helping the Brisbane situation, as there are plenty of local?? feeders now.

Ummmm...receiving and decoding 1090MHz signals appears a different proposition to the air bands, which are not true line of sight transmissions.....I am sure there are many of you out there with a vast amount of ADS-B knowledge, so I apologise for my thinking aloud ramblings here.

The ability to decode good data through a FR24 box is reliant upon a strong consistent signal from the a/c. Obviously antenna type, height, decoder box and a 360° clear view to the a/c has a lot to do with it. This is demonstrated by F-YBBN1, though in Toowoomba, some 125 kms from Brisbane, is on top of a range, some 2,300 feet above sea level, has the majority of YBBN airport and surrounding area a/c 'hits' on any given day. However, even this box with such height cannot decode signals near YBBN airport below about 2,500ft. The arriving a/c disappear and later reappear with departing flight above 2500 feet. The feed that recently ceased, used to report a/c to the ground and did this well. Be interesting to know where it was located so a similar area could be targeted by FR24.

Maybe is what I should do is get another survey carried out. This time using a frequency of 1090MHz and see what strength signal I should get at my house position.

FR24a.jpgFR24b.jpgFR24c.JPGFR24d.JPG

Comment

• As much as it is line of sight at microwave band (as you just pointed out in a roundabout way) moisture can be a killer of it too, especially if a tree is also involved

I get a little bit of ground traffic from where I am, which is in actual fact almost lower than the airport and miles from it, but only sporatic data between the holes ala northern end of the runway away from terminal. My old location to the east of the airports RWY path of N/S had me getting the odd packet either side of the terminal. It was funny looking at tracks zoomed in to the area - you could pin it near exactly

But either server-side my ground traffic is turned off, or there is not enough constant data for it to trigger the GND:YES on my uploader. I also have a band about 200-500ft that I can't see. Presumably the speed and low signal/treeline causing it.

So you would be surprised how much of the deck you can see when they are slowly taxiing along even if you can't see the airport yourself It could be worth one of you mocking up a yagi and pointing it in the general direction to see what you can get as a test.

Ill post some screenies later of my antenna view/height and distance to airport to show you how a good combo of cable and antenna can work wonders even if you can't see the airport :P
                              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by POR911 View Post
                                The feed that recently ceased, used to report a/c to the ground and did this well. Be interesting to know where it was located so a similar area could be targeted by FR24.
                                Unfortunately my knowledge of radio matters is limited but I love the discussions nevertheless. Yes, it would be helpful to know where T-YBBN was located. The thing that always intrigued me about that feeder was it's incredible range. Not only did it cover all of Brisbane and the airport but it got as far west as Miles, down to Warwick and northern NSW and up to Hervey Bay as well as out to sea. Of course apart from Brisbane and Hervey Bay there are no other competing feeders in those areas and I guess that would be why T-YBBN was never seen in Toowoomba as there have been a couple installed there for some time. I have wondered if T-YBBN was in fact some kind of network with various feed points - you guys probably know if that sort of thing is possible but I don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X