Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bhaal View Post
    Presently with FA's MLAT setup I can see MLAT planes down to 1200ft normally (though directly around me I cannot, not enough feeders), even tracked a flight down to 600ft when it landed from the SE end of the short runway at YBBN last night..
    I've seen a bunch of MLAT flights tracked via FA's MLAT stuff that just don't appear on FR24.. So I am guessing that FR24's arrogance is really starting to bite the many hands that feed it...
    T-YBBN50 - Kallangur, QLD, Australia

Comment

Sorry, I almost didn't understand what you meant for a moment there.. You mean the PiAware package is a .deb ... But in this instance it's built for Raspbian (the Raspberry Pi Debian dist), not Debian per se... What dist are you running on your Banana?
      I'm not, I'm running an actual HP server, I dont use debian full stop, our servers run Slackware, the problem is/was the source build calls in and requires debian specific things like dpkg, it demands its version or some crud and other things only found on debian (and maybe its offshoots like ubuntu), so trying to build it on anything else fails, flat out (I briefly looked at the code and it would take considerable time to remove all the debian things, and I''d still have no idea if it would build - not good time management task, so I deleted it and moved on with life

Originally posted by bhaal View Post

FR24 things are changing indeed.. But I'd say "jumping on the bandwagon" is the more appropriate term.. Presently with FA's MLAT setup I can see MLAT planes down to 1200ft normally (though directly around me I cannot, not enough feeders), even tracked a flight down to 600ft when it landed from the SE end of the short runway at YBBN last night..

If you want me to have a look at your Banana and see if I cannot get PiAware running let me know (the more coverage the better around me)..
      only banana here are the ones I scoff down
      and yeah, i'm hesitant to change the setup as it feeds a couple places, and works well, just not with mlat I spose, which in not too distant future will be less of a problem with mandated requirements to be ads-b capable getting ever closer, 18 months until all IFR a/c in AU airspace must be ads-b equipped, however for WA, thats less then 6 months,m all VFR a/c operating in and around BNE, SYD, MEL and PER getting an upgrade, must be ads-b capable as well, IIRC that's from 2014..

Its probably why we are seeing ATR's and Dash8's being upgraded now, since if they dont upgrade them, those a/c wont be able to fly in/out of 500nm of PER from Feb 4, next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ressy View Post
        I'm not, I'm running an actual HP server, I dont use debian full stop, our servers run Slackware, the problem is/was
        The problem is, you're running slackware Sometimes I wonder if it's still a thing, I guess it is, I haven't used Slackware since about 1997...

Originally posted by Ressy View Post
        only banana here are the ones I scoff down
        Yes, this was my bad I have been writing in the MLAT thread as well, and someone there mentioned Bananas ... *tired*

and yeah, i'm hesitant to change the setup as it feeds a couple places, and works well, just not with mlat I spose, which in not too distant future will be less of a problem with mandated requirements to be ads-b capable getting ever closer, 18 months until all IFR a/c in AU airspace must be ads-b equipped, however for WA, thats less then 6 months,m all VFR a/c operating in and around BNE, SYD, MEL and PER getting an upgrade, must be ads-b capable as well, IIRC that's from 2014..

Its probably why we are seeing ATR's and Dash8's being upgraded now, since if they dont upgrade them, those a/c wont be able to fly in/out of 500nm of PER from Feb 4, next year.
        Yep, fully understand, and if you have the hardware running for other stuff then yeah, no point in spinning up a RPi for no reason..

It's also the smaller craft that I like having MLAT capabilities for, things like helicopters and single piston planes, being right near YCAB and YRED, between them and YBAF I see a lot of small craft and helicopters... Including VHNVK and VHPSQ which I always like to watch but can't without MLAT as they rarely turn their ADS-B transponders on... VHPSQ will probably end up always on as it frequently goes above 9000ft .. but VHNVK may not... So yeah. I still see a use for low altitude MLAT

Comment

The problem is, you're running slackware Sometimes I wonder if it's still a thing, I guess it is, I haven't used Slackware since about 1997...
          oh its comedian day
          damn straight it is, it runs in places youd be surprised hehe

Yep, fully understand, and if you have the hardware running for other stuff then yeah, no point in spinning up a RPi for no reason..

It's also the smaller craft that I like having MLAT capabilities for, things like helicopters and single piston planes, being right near YCAB and YRED, between them and YBAF I see a lot of small craft and helicopters... Including VHNVK and VHPSQ which I always like to watch but can't without MLAT as they rarely turn their ADS-B transponders on... VHPSQ will probably end up always on as it frequently goes above 9000ft .. but VHNVK may not... So yeah. I still see a use for low altitude MLAT
          Yeah, theres a few smallies with ads-b, in particular cirrus's, polair 1 and 2 keep them off for rather obvious reasons, that might be tricky in a couple years time, but I envisage exemptions for them as that time nears.

ohh, do you listen to YCAB traffic? YCAB and YCDR ctafs change Nov 4, going from 118.8 to 125.85, they interfere with Gladstone too much lol

Comment

• Wow!! Finally VH-CXJ (7C0D65) which is a Learjet 45 currently registered to Careflight Queensland has had it's call sign updated.. I cannot find an ownership history for the plane, but it was first registered here in 2001... It's Callsign was AM452 (A Cuba to Mexico route) .. It's call sign now matches it's registration... So, unless it's been out of the country since 2001, then it's taken a little while for someone to notice.... I wonder how they figured it out?

Comment

polair 1 and 2 keep them off for rather obvious reasons, that might be tricky in a couple years time, but I envisage exemptions for them as that time nears.
              Yeah, have thought about that... Speaking of such things, do the F-18's ever show up? I see the C-17's and C-130's and the wedgetails, MRTT's etc .. but not yet seen any F-18s... Guessing they don't do regular Mode-S...

ohh, do you listen to YCAB traffic? YCAB and YCDR ctafs change Nov 4, going from 118.8 to 125.85, they interfere with Gladstone too much lol
              Actually I don't listen to the ATC feeds often... I've just got a couple more RTL-SDR dongles though, so might see how well I can get some of the signals etc..

Comment

Yeah, have thought about that... Speaking of such things, do the F-18's ever show up? I see the C-17's and C-130's and the wedgetails, MRTT's etc .. but not yet seen any F-18s... Guessing they don't do regular Mode-S...
                Not that I've ever seen, used to try match them for riverfire, but never had any luck.

Actually I don't listen to the ATC feeds often... I've just got a couple more RTL-SDR dongles though, so might see how well I can get some of the signals etc..
                I wish you better luck than me, I found the dongles too deaf, and they dont tend to like FM narrow band all that much when I tried uhf cb (although might be overload, since hand held was 2 mtrs from dongle antenna), even when told to use it.. am isn't all that bad though if signal is strong enough
                rtl_fm -f 118.8M -M am -s 200000 -r 48000 - | aplay -r 48k -f S16_LE

They love fm radio though
                rtl_fm -f 92.7M -M wbfm -s 200000 -r 48000 - | aplay -r 48k -f S16_LE
                Last edited by Ressy; 2015-08-21, 10:45.

Comment

rtl_fm -f 118.8M -M am -s 200000 -r 48000 - | aplay -r 48k -f S16_LE

They love fm radio though
                  rtl_fm -f 92.7M -M wbfm -s 200000 -r 48000 - | aplay -r 48k -f S16_LE
                  I tried these, but no luck (on my ubuntu PC) I don't have a Pi plugged into a screen or anything, couldn't see aplay connecting to pulseaudio, and play (sox) was giving me under-runs ... maybe it just wasn't receiving anything, which in side this house with right next to the PC with the pissy little antenna which comes with the dongle doesn't surprise me..

Will keep trying when I get time...

Comment

I tried these, but no luck (on my ubuntu PC) I don't have a Pi plugged into a screen or anything, couldn't see aplay connecting to pulseaudio, and play (sox) was giving me under-runs ... maybe it just wasn't receiving anything, which in side this house with right next to the PC with the pissy little antenna which comes with the dongle doesn't surprise me..

Will keep trying when I get time...
                    hrmm, OK, 92.7 might not be strong enough for you, try 101.5 thats up the road at ocean view, should be stronger than the brissie stuff at broadcast park, mt coot-tha, but as I mentioned it might just be dongles deafness, after all something that covers 25Mhz to typically 1700Mhz obviously needs to be less sensitive in one area to cover them all, despite the antennas tuning.

PS
                    buwhahahahahahahahaha
                    pulseaudio is evil, we over here at slackware world dont have to worry about satans cousin being in the equation, alsa suits us just fine

Comment

hrmm, OK, 92.7 might not be strong enough for you, try 101.5 thats up the road at ocean view, should be stronger than the brissie stuff at broadcast park, mt coot-tha, but as I mentioned it might just be dongles deafness, after all something that covers 25Mhz to typically 1700Mhz obviously needs to be less sensitive in one area to cover them all, despite the antennas tuning.

PS
                      buwhahahahahahahahaha
                      pulseaudio is evil, we over here at slackware world dont have to worry about satans cousin being in the equation, alsa suits us just fine
                      Well so far it turns out that some of it was to do with lack of reception off the little antenna, when I hold it close to the window I get some semblance of reception of the commercial stations... So that's cool, I know things are working, that's the main thing... I will tackle the finer points when I get an antenna up on the roof etc... This is going to be a quick setup, but that's fine..

Comment

oh its comedian day
                        Dongles don't handle the airband freq too well. Found that 10-15nm was the range I could get, the clearest was 5-10nm. Though need to test a UHF with airband freq, since everything at YSWG is CTAF.

None of the CT-4 (BAE), PC-9 (training and roulettes), Hawk and F-18 aircraft have Mode-S.

Wow!! Finally VH-CXJ (7C0D65) which is a Learjet 45 currently registered to Careflight Queensland has had it's call sign updated.. I cannot find an ownership history for the plane, but it was first registered here in 2001... It's Callsign was AM452 (A Cuba to Mexico route) .. It's call sign now matches it's registration... So, unless it's been out of the country since 2001, then it's taken a little while for someone to notice.... I wonder how they figured it out?
                        Ignore what AM452 is on any flight tracking site or VRS, "AMxxx" (short for 'Ambulance') is used for all aeromedical flights locally in Australia. Royal Flying Doctor Service (not the contracted ASNSW) is the exception which uses "FDxxx".

Here is a history of VH-CXJ, though it has done flight training for Cathay Pacific (under BAE).

CXJ was painted in Wagga a year or so ago, though missed getting a photo of the new livery.
                        Last edited by YSWG; 2015-08-25, 12:11.
                        F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Originally posted by YSWG View Post
                          Dongles don't handle the airband freq too well. Found that 10-15nm was the range I could get, the clearest was 5-10nm. Though need to test a UHF with airband freq, since everything at YSWG is CTAF.
                          They dont handle a lot all that well, they cant since there are designed to be very wideband.
                          Its like a radio scanner, being wideband, sitting on my desk it would give certain freqs whats known as an "S" 1 or 2 for certain transmitters, a commercial hand held for that band sitting next to it, is 15+ db over, because it doesnt have to worry about all the other crud.

Originally posted by YSWG View Post
                          Ignore what AM452 is on any flight tracking site or VRS, "AMxxx" (short for 'Ambulance') is used for all aeromedical flights locally in Australia. Royal Flying Doctor Service (not the contracted ASNSW) is the exception which uses "FDxxx".
                          careflight fixed wing tend to use careflight xxx (431/422 IIRC) up here, have heard an amxxx flight but no idea who they are assigned to.

Comment

• LJ45 VH-VVI is AM451
                            LJ45 VH-CXJ is AM452
                            C604 VH-URR is AM604

Even if they don't have the 'AMxxx' on their ADS-B they still use it over the radio.

Comment

• Originally posted by acrimmo View Post
                              LJ45 VH-CXJ is AM452

Even if they don't have the 'AMxxx' on their ADS-B they still use it over the radio.
                              CXJ uses careflight callsign when in SEQ at least, haven't heard it for a week or so though, perhaps its depends on where they go/come from now? I'll pop a monitor on its audio, and after a week or so I'll see how it uses it.

Comment

• Update:
                                Start looking for it soon/this weekend in Australia. It will show up as "C130" on the FR24 map.
                                It's flying to Hawaii today.
                                N405LC just departed Anchorage Intl (PANC) at 10:23 AKDT enroute to Kahului (PHOG/OGG) for an estimated arrival at 16:26 HST.

Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
                                Watch for this tanker to fly to New South Wales, Australia in about 2 weeks. It's equipped with ADS-B.
                                Let's see what tanker number it will fly under in Australia.

Coulson’s L-382G awarded contract in Australia
                                Tanker 132 N405LC is due to start there on September 1
                                http://fireaviation.com/2015/08/07/c...-in-australia/
                                Last edited by SoCalBrian; 2015-08-27, 18:30.
                                Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
                                [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Working...
                                X