Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fungus View Post
    G'day Nomad.
    Have you contacted support@fr24.com and asked them to change the alias? If so, it may take some time as a change such as that may be a fair way down their priority list. Please let me know how things go- I'm considering a change to mine.

Regards,
    Gregg (T-YSSY4)
    Hi Gregg

Yes asked twice for a change. When I set up my own feed I was allocated T-YMAY3 but they changed it to T-YBNS1 for me on my second request.
    They keep saying that the alias has no bearing on the feed, my point would be why bother with Radar Alias if in fact they are meaningless may as well call it "Apple Pie 1"
    I posted this in the first place because I felt people might be puzzled by the odd coverage from "Albury". Any how good luck getting yours changed.

chrs Doug

Comment

Originally posted by nomad77 View Post
      Hi Gregg

Yes asked twice for a change. When I set up my own feed I was allocated T-YMAY3 but they changed it to T-YBNS1 for me on my second request.
      They keep saying that the alias has no bearing on the feed, my point would be why bother with Radar Alias if in fact they are meaningless may as well call it "Apple Pie 1"
      I posted this in the first place because I felt people might be puzzled by the odd coverage from "Albury". Any how good luck getting yours changed.

chrs Doug
      Apple Pie1
      thanks,

Lemon Merangue Pie4
      YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

I'm a future feeder (maybe this weekend) and I don't even know what my ID will be. I have my FR24 set inside an aerodrome (ICAO LERO) and I'm pretty sure my ID won't be F-LERO1, just because LERO is not on FR24 airports database. Does it matter to me? Not at all, I'm with Mike this is a minor problem (if it is really a problem), and there should be some other bigger priorities on the table.
        Northwest Spain: F-LECO1, F-LEST1

Comment

Originally posted by Breitling View Post
          I'm a future feeder (maybe this weekend) and I don't even know what my ID will be. I have my FR24 set inside an aerodrome (ICAO LERO) and I'm pretty sure my ID won't be F-LERO1, just because LERO is not on FR24 airports database. Does it matter to me? Not at all, I'm with Mike this is a minor problem (if it is really a problem), and there should be some other bigger priorities on the table.
          Yep, looks as if empathy is as good as dead on here. The problem might not affect you, but what about the guy who sees it as a problem? Do we tell him to go suck an egg simply because the issue doesnt bother some one else?

Regards,
          Gregg
          YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Yep, looks as if empathy is as good as dead on here. The problem might not affect you, but what about the guy who sees it as a problem? Do we tell him to go suck an egg simply because the issue doesnt bother some one else?
            No Gregg, I'm sure that something that is not a problem for me could be a big problem for someone else. But using a bit of common sense I'm sure too you can see this is a minor problem for almost anyone and there should be some other priorities to be attended before.

Comment

Breitling when did I say this was a problem for me. I posted this advise to clarify the situation. Is it a problem because
              logic suggests that an alias probably should reflect at least the general location of the feed. FR may have valid
              reasons for denying my request and I accept that. My comments are still valid. And I thought this was a forum
              for Australian feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by nomad77 View Post
                And I thought this was a forum for Australian feeders.
                Ok, no problem, back to my den.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  I'm sorry Fungus, but as many times before you and me don't speak the same language.
                  Feeder feedback is very valuable for us and that changes we currently make to show more feeder statistics is just because of such requests. Of course if we had unlimited time, unlimited resources and unlimited money we would implement every request we have received. But the reality is different so we have to make some priorities.
                  Mike,
                  You're spot on there, I would have thought you dont bight the hand that feeds.

... and I've also got limited resources. I was planning on spending another $1,500 or so of my hard-earned to extend my antenna to provide ground cover at YSRI, and ask to have my radar re-named accordingly. If that's the prevailing attitude (it's all "too hard"), stuff that for a joke. I'll re-adjust my priorities accordingly.

I would have thought that a request from the feeder at YBNS (in Victoria) to have his radar named as such instead of YMAY (in New South Wales, some 200km away), could have been met with 'sure thing but that will have to go onto the long term list due to workload.' I'm sure that would have been appreciated more than your response.

Regards,
                  Gregg
                  Last edited by fungus; 2013-10-27, 23:45.

Comment

Can anybody explain why ground movements have stopped displaying on FR24 for YMML (Melbourne)? Both YSSY and YBBN all have ground movement activities, while YMML tracking stops when the aircraft is about to touch down.

Comment

I don't look at Melbourne very often but when I have I've not been able to get down to ground level - has that not always been the case? Perhaps none of the operational feeders around there are close enough to the airport. From memory, Melbourne airport is also a few hundred feet above sea level so you're probably also never going to get a zero altitude reading on FR24.

Comment

Originally posted by airnrail View Post
                        I don't look at Melbourne very often but when I have I've not been able to get down to ground level - has that not always been the case? Perhaps none of the operational feeders around there are close enough to the airport. From memory, Melbourne airport is also a few hundred feet above sea level so you're probably also never going to get a zero altitude reading on FR24.
                        You're quite correct. Up until recently we did have ground coverage at MEL. We have no contact with or control over individual radars so why they are no longer active is a mystery. Hopefully it may turn out to be a short term situation. However, it has nothing to do with the elevation of MEL airport.

Regards,
                        Gregg

Comment

You're quite correct. Up until recently we did have ground coverage at MEL. We have no contact with or control over individual radars so why they are no longer active is a mystery. Hopefully it may turn out to be a short term situation. However, it has nothing to do with the elevation of MEL airport.
                          Just had a look at Tullamarine and it appears that T-YMML3 and T-YMEN (Essenden) are the only ones feeding around there. Guess it shows that there can never be too many feeders around a big airport. While I sometimes think Sydney is a bit over-catered, you can usually see what you want to see there.

As an aside, Brisbane has only two feeders that normally pick anything up. On the rare occasions that T-YBBN1, which has amazing coverage, is down (like earlier today) another one, T-YBBN17, appears and T-YTWB1 at Toowoomba gets into Brisbane. Perhaps Brisbane, like Melbourne, could use a few more active feeders too.
                          Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-10-29, 23:49. Reason: Fixed quotation marks

Comment

Thanks airnrail, I have just been granted approval today to host FR24 equipment at my house, will probably be a week or two before it is on air.

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe View Post
                              Thanks airnrail, I have just been granted approval today to host FR24 equipment at my house, will probably be a week or two before it is on air.
                              Great to hear. I'll keep an eye out for you when you get on the air. With a bit of luck you might also get traffic from the brand new airport at Miles as long as they fly smaller jets and not Dash 8s into there. Cheers.

Comment

VH-ZPK (Virgin Australia Embraer 190) is now ADS-B equipped, leaving only VH-ZPD to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X