Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airnrail
    replied
    Certainly a lot of Loons around right now and while looking at them over WA I noticed a new feeder (for me anyway) at Laverton. It is F-YLTN1 and seems to be picking up a few aircraft. Laverton is north east of Kalgoorlie and has an airport marker on FR24.

Leave a comment:

• ylis
    replied
    There's been a few floating around over WA / SA / NT for the last month or so but nothing like this swarm. Earth Nullschool is showing strong high altitude winds

Leave a comment:

• Stealth
    replied
    HBAL001 is in a group NW of Alice Springs

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Answered own question using google time search

Kenya last month and abroad. (one a couple of weeks ago from south america)

https://twitter.com/stratoballoon/st...24634719068161

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Originally posted by Stealth View Post
    Currently an HBAL invasion, counting 15 or more across Australia.
    Crikey. And a few appear to have come a long way. Wonder where the release point was

Leave a comment:

• Stealth
    replied
    Currently an HBAL invasion, counting 15 or more across Australia.

Leave a comment:

• airnrail
    replied
    Originally posted by ylis View Post

I'm happy to stop the infrequent updates of new Aussie feeders to this forum - I just thought people might be interested.

Cheers
    Please continue. I might give you hand from time to time. I don't think we are are the only ones with an interest in this aspect of FR24. There used to a be global thread for notifications but I can't recall its title and I don't think I've seen it for a long time. At least once I contributed a list of all the visible feeders in Oz but I've seen little point in continuing that in more recent times. I also don't watch the capital cities very intensively any more because there are just too many feeders and certainly enough to guarantee coverage at all times. By way of contrast, there was time a few years ago when there was no ground coverage at MEL.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    It seems to go on and off at random. Some weeks every day, other times it seem to stay for a week or more.
    Just as long as you are aware. As the stats the other chap pulls are scraped from those public pages. So will likely be as fluid.

Leave a comment:

• Stealth
    replied
    Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
    Not sure if you are aware, but this if 'off' by default. And every change they make, it goes back to off.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10561[/ATTACH]

Chances are 30%+ of feeders don't realise it.
    It seems to go on and off at random. Some weeks every day, other times it seem to stay for a week or more.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Not sure if you are aware, but this if 'off' by default. And every change they make, it goes back to off.

fr24sharing.JPG

Chances are 30%+ of feeders don't realise it.

Leave a comment:

• ylis
    replied
    EDIT: Here's an odd one. F-YMDN1 is being shown tracking one aircraft, presumably that is Merriden way out to the East of Perth. Enter that ID in the feeder list and its location will show as Indonesia.
    I've sorted the Global Stats by County and Feeder ID Code and it seems you have found the only Y prefix feeder code not listed as Australia . All the others are correctly recorded. A few years ago, there were 5 or 6 international feeder codes listed as Australia but these have since been corrected.

In regards your earlier reply, Airnrail's response is pretty close to the mark and it seems we are pretty much on the same wavelength. There's at least one WA feeder who's ID regularly appears but isn't listed in the global statistics or in Patrick's webpage. Maybe there are others.

I started identifying where the airports were based on the feeders ID (but thats not a true indicator of where they might actually be) to see where additional feeder stations could be located as I'm interested in constructing and configuring remote equipment.

I'm happy to stop the infrequent updates of new Aussie feeders to this forum - I just thought people might be interested.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Stealth
    replied
    Originally posted by airnrail View Post
    All the Oz capitals except Hobart and Darwin have a large number of FR24 feeders but a small group in each city get most of the credit and they tend to be F feeders with just a few T feeders that have mostly been around for a long time. It is interesting to observe what happens when there are wide spread blackouts in one of these cities thus knocking out multiple feeders. Feeders not normally seen, mostly T type, start appearing. This seems to support the FR24 contention that the displayed feeder is randomly selected from those that are actually seeing the aircraft at a particular point in time time. Perhaps a couple of dominant feeders dropped out in Perth thus giving your setup a rare opportunity.
    According to the global share stats I am one of the top 'dominant' Perth feeders, of course that is purely calculated on uptime and max/average range. I just sampled a few aircraft and there is a dominance of one F feeder, also of interest though is that two targets are not within his currently reported coverage as shown on on his stats page. That could be a data display lag I suppose.

EDIT: Here's an odd one. F-YMDN1 is being shown tracking one aircraft, presumably that is Merriden way out to the East of Perth. Enter that ID in the feeder list and its location will show as Indonesia.
    Last edited by Stealth; 2019-05-05, 05:15. Reason: Added content

Leave a comment:

• airnrail
    replied
    EDIT: Just to prove me wrong, my ID popped up in tracking this arvo.
    All the Oz capitals except Hobart and Darwin have a large number of FR24 feeders but a small group in each city get most of the credit and they tend to be F feeders with just a few T feeders that have mostly been around for a long time. It is interesting to observe what happens when there are wide spread blackouts in one of these cities thus knocking out multiple feeders. Feeders not normally seen, mostly T type, start appearing. This seems to support the FR24 contention that the displayed feeder is randomly selected from those that are actually seeing the aircraft at a particular point in time time. Perhaps a couple of dominant feeders dropped out in Perth thus giving your setup a rare opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• Stealth
    replied
    According to the global sharer stats I am in the top 5 of feeders in Perth and surrounding areas, but I have yet to see my ID show up. I know this debate has been running for a long time and the last response I saw from FR24 ties in with my view. Which is that its randomly generated from a fixed list according to distance from defined locations and actually has nothing to do with where the feed on that aircraft is coming from. Not that I'm cynical .....

EDIT: Just to prove me wrong, my ID popped up in tracking this arvo.
    Last edited by Stealth; 2019-05-03, 08:59.

Leave a comment:

• airnrail
    replied
    What is the significance of this? FR24 statistics seem to be of a mystery anyway.
    YLIS will no doubt reply but I don't think it's a discussion about stats. Like myself, YLIS seems to have an interest in feeders: where they are, how many etc etc and makes the very valid point that there are feeders that show up on FR24 that do not appear on the list of feeders available in stats. Your point about the stats being a bit of a mystery is also fair comment. Unless you are interested in feeders this will be useless info but of those 760 odd feeders in Australia less than 260 of them actually get credited on the screen in any given 30 day period. The rest are allegedly contributing to the overall picture but just not fast enough to find the planes first.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X