Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exactly as I thought, thanks YSWG!

Now for my next question How do I generate these nice coverage maps I see of peoples radars displayed on google maps? Thanks in advance!
    T-YBBN50 - Kallangur, QLD, Australia

Comment

• Virtual Radar Server
      T-EGLF8

Comment

• +1 Virtual Radar Server which now saves the range in a json file (use to reset everything you shut it down). You also need to add the location of the antenna in the receiver setting for it to work.

In the past I used SBS Plotter, but found it somewhat buggy (would stop recording the range). I used this blog to place it on Google Maps.
        F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• I have the headless (-nogui) version running now on one of my linux boxes... The one thing I don't like is that when you go to the page for the first time it doesn't take me to the location set in the receiver.. Is this normal and is there a way to fix it?

Comment

• "Mono uses X11. Most Linux distributions already have X11 installed but some (notably OS/X) do not and will need to have it installed."

*chuckles*

No, no sane person installs, let alone runs, X11 on a "server" ... cant half tell these are windaz guys can you... If a client comes to me wanting .NET I tell them to find another webhost, one that supports windaz

Comment

• Ressy, the server I put Virtual Radar on originally had mythtv backend installed on it, I used the gui over an ssh connection to do some of the config back then, so xorg is already installed, but it still makes me shudder... Ressy, .NET applications are not the only things I have come across in the past which have required xorg/x11, I recall a few times I've gone to install JAVA daemons which have had guis, very annoying... Virtual Radar certainly isn't something I will be running on a regular basis, I just wanted to see the range of my radar.

Will be running it again when I redo the antenna with the lengths of coax are cut to the proper length (I hadn't bothered to search for the cable specs) as I just wanted to know I would get *something* at more than 40-50km radius, turns out with an un-tuned antenna I get 311km range if there aren't high mountain ranged involved, so will make a better tuned antenna soon and see how much it improves.

Comment

• Anyone know why the Brisbane MLAT3 does not see Polair2 (NVK) .. Anyone know the minimum altitude the Brisbane MLAT3 detects aircraft?? I can see NVK as mode-s but it never shows up on MLAT? Do they stop their transponder from responding to the MLAT requests? (not totally sure how things work)

Comment

• MLAT works just like triangularisation of a mobile phone. IIRC, FR24 has MLAT for aircraft above 7,000 ft in Australia. Example is VH-CTC (A109S), which has a mode-s transponder, today it was flying at 5,000ft, though was never shown on FR24 (as MLAT).

In some regions with coverage from several FR24-receivers we also calculate positions of non-ADS-B equipped aircraft with the help of Multilateration (MLAT), by using a method known as Time Difference of Arrival (TDOA). By measuring the difference in time to receive the signal from aircraft with an older ModeS-transponder, it's possible to calculate the position of these aircraft. Four FR24-receivers or more, receiving signals from the same aircraft, are needed to make MLAT work. That means that MLAT coverage can only be achieved above about 5,000-10,000 feet as the probability that signal can be received by four or more receivers increases with increased altitude.

Most parts of Europe are today covered with MLAT above about 5,000-10,000 feet. There is also some MLAT coverage in North America, Mexico, Australia and Brazil. More areas will get MLAT coverage during 2014 and 2015.
                  Source: http://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works
                  Last edited by YSWG; 2015-01-24, 13:18.
                  F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaal View Post
                    Ressy, the server I put Virtual Radar on originally had mythtv backend installed on it, I used the gui over an ssh connection to do some of the config back then, so xorg is already installed, but it still makes me shudder... Ressy, .NET applications are not the only things I have come across in the past which have required xorg/x11, I recall a few times I've gone to install JAVA daemons which have had guis, very annoying... Virtual Radar certainly isn't something I will be running on a regular basis, I just wanted to see the range of my radar.

Will be running it again when I redo the antenna with the lengths of coax are cut to the proper length (I hadn't bothered to search for the cable specs) as I just wanted to know I would get *something* at more than 40-50km radius, turns out with an un-tuned antenna I get 311km range if there aren't high mountain ranged involved, so will make a better tuned antenna soon and see how much it improves.
                    Ahh, OK, you're forgiven I use slackware on my servers even at home, so never run into that problem, opensuse FTW on desktops tho hehe, ok getting back on topic... You wont need to be too fussy about lengths since its RX only, my 8 coaxial elements are about 11.5cm ea using RG6 quad, I get fair range down to Lismore, north to Maryborough (depending on track) and out past Dalby and Proston, but get a few hundred K's out to sea, my range is not as great as yours from what I've seen, but if you saw the height of the greenery and how close it is (80 ft trees) plus adjacent buildings, you'd be surprised I get as good as I do from where it is LOL but it covers where it is (YCAB) and thats what its designed to do... and I suspect similar to you, the D'aguilar range prevents low level west coverage.

Comment

Anyone know why the Brisbane MLAT3 does not see Polair2 (NVK) .. Anyone know the minimum altitude the Brisbane MLAT3 detects aircraft?? I can see NVK as mode-s but it never shows up on MLAT? Do they stop their transponder from responding to the MLAT requests? (not totally sure how things work)
                      NVK does have adsb capability, I've seen it locally sometimes, but not for a while now though, cant figure that one out, unless its, well, on purpose, given its Police

Otherwise MLAT used to be not much under 14K feet for most of around Brisbane - though its been a while since I've checked, MLAT is only calculated from a signal of at least 3 "F" feeders.

Edited:
                      The ATR's 72's and Dash 8's are good for tracking MLAT capabilities

FVR only just now appeared at northern tip of Bribie, at 10500, so its improved, but only marginally given thats what, 55-60K's north of YBBN.
                      FVL inbound lost signal over Beerburrum State forest at 10080

(quite often when the signal ends, the aircraft track is continued on in guess mode, as FR24 shows it over Wamuran at 10080, yet I see it south of Wamuran at 4400ft, there are these little quirks you'll soon get used to)
                      Last edited by Ressy; 2015-01-25, 03:21.

Comment

• With regards to Linux I've been a Debian/Ubuntu user since 1996, I've tried all the others, but .deb does it for me every time

Ahhh, well while I am not completely OCD I like to push things as far as I can without spending too much money, and thanks to varius optus/foxtel cable/satelite installs I have plenty long RG6 cables floating around, so it's not going to cost me anything other than time to do up another bunch of elements... I was looking at putting a GPS receiver in as well, but after some research that is entirely pointless due to the buffers etc in the USB protocol when using RTLSDR sticks... But when going further in to it, it doesn't matter too much, as pretty much all aircraft should have full ADS-B transponders by 2020 or sooner, so not that far away I guess...

Another general question, are some people turning off their gear at night when there aren't many planes around... I see my radar mostly being used later at night on FR24...?

Comment

With regards to Linux I've been a Debian/Ubuntu user since 1996, I've tried all the others, but .deb does it for me every time

Ahhh, well while I am not completely OCD I like to push things as far as I can without spending too much money, and thanks to varius optus/foxtel cable/satelite installs I have plenty long RG6 cables floating around, so it's not going to cost me anything other than time to do up another bunch of elements... I was looking at putting a GPS receiver in as well, but after some research that is entirely pointless due to the buffers etc in the USB protocol when using RTLSDR sticks... But when going further in to it, it doesn't matter too much, as pretty much all aircraft should have full ADS-B transponders by 2020 or sooner, so not that far away I guess...

Another general question, are some people turning off their gear at night when there aren't many planes around... I see my radar mostly being used later at night on FR24...?
                          Yeah I wouldnt go to the extremes of gps for a cheap stick
                          A lot probably do turn off, especially the windows based T feeders, a lot are not 24/7 period, as in, some may only be on overnight and off during day as well, theres probably only about 10 active feeders on the YBBN chart, a lot have stopped feeding and the radar codes dont get re-used, it can be tricky like that, they say each display may despite showing 1 radar code, be using data from a few- there words not mine But I note that when F YBSU2 isnt around ours seems to display a lot more, then you wont see it for a week, go figure... only Mike and the guys at FR24 really know the truth

Comment

• Well, I worked out why I wasn't on the board much/at all today... My feed had stopped, something seems to had gone sideways and it switched from the new fr24feed pi software to the old separately setup dump1090 + fr24feed software ... Not sure how it happened, but it did... (no reboot involved) And this for some reason wasn't uploading properly, but was showing up fine locally.... *shrug* it's bacvk to how it should be and uploading fine and showing up on the board again... I cannot imagine running this stuff on a windows machine unless it was doing a whole lot of other stuff... Like my central file server, it does a lot of stuff, everything else is sleeping when not in use..

Comment

Well, I worked out why I wasn't on the board much/at all today... My feed had stopped, something seems to had gone sideways and it switched from the new fr24feed pi software to the old separately setup dump1090 + fr24feed software ... Not sure how it happened, but it did... (no reboot involved) And this for some reason wasn't uploading properly, but was showing up fine locally.... *shrug* it's bacvk to how it should be and uploading fine and showing up on the board again... I cannot imagine running this stuff on a windows machine unless it was doing a whole lot of other stuff... Like my central file server, it does a lot of stuff, everything else is sleeping when not in use..
                              Thats weird... script conflicts? I call mine from rc.adsb, they all run, or none run
                              I use the old linux software (fr24feed_x86_242) with Malcolm Robbs dump1090 as I feed other services, and as they say, if it aint XXXXed, dont XXXX with it It runs on a HP box thats also my dlna/DNS (caching)/NTP server, being an older box its still pretty good with pwr consumption at about 120 watts and since its on 24/7, its perfect for the job.

And there are quite a few windows feeders going by the forums, but I dare say not many are 24/7, unless they have an old box with xp on it and pay SFA for power.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ressy View Post
                                Thats weird... script conflicts? I call mine from rc.adsb, they all run, or none run
                                I use the old linux software (fr24feed_x86_242) with Malcolm Robbs dump1090 as I feed other services, and as they say, if it aint XXXXed, dont XXXX with it It runs on a HP box thats also my dlna/DNS (caching)/NTP server, being an older box its still pretty good with pwr consumption at about 120 watts and since its on 24/7, its perfect for the job.

And there are quite a few windows feeders going by the forums, but I dare say not many are 24/7, unless they have an old box with xp on it and pay SFA for power.
                                Yeah, what you described is what I started with till I found the new stuff, which I only did as they are trying to unify the data to make sure there are less mistakes and dodgy data.. That said, it still uses Malcolm Robbs dump1090 (or the original if you like) and you can still connect other feeders to it and still use all the switches that are normally available. With any luck all will be well tomorrow at 0419 and I will still be sending with the right versions of stuff...

Comment

Working...
                                X