No announcement yet.

Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just an update for those who 'might' be wondering where F-YBNA1 has gone. I know several local people are missing coverage down to the ground in YBNA. Several local bus and hire car operators use FR24 on their smartphones to know when arriving aircraft are close.

After several attempts to connect to the FR Box, Antonio from FR Tech support has decided the ethernet section of my FR Box is faulty.

So . . . now Im waiting to hear what they might do ?

Phil, how much are the Radarcape units? I've spent money to have an antenna at a decent height so I want to use it.
    Last edited by Lancair70; 2014-05-14, 21:44.
    F-YBNA2

Comment

• Pushing 7-800 :/
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancair70 View Post
        Just an update for those who 'might' be wondering where F-YBNA1 has gone. I know several local people are missing coverage down to the ground in YBNA. Several local bus and hire car operators use FR24 on their smartphones to know when arriving aircraft are close.

After several attempts to connect to the FR Box, Antonio from FR Tech support has decided the ethernet section of my FR Box is faulty.

So . . . now Im waiting to hear what they might do ?

Phil, how much are the Radarcape units? I've spent money to have an antenna at a decent height so I want to use it.
        If the worst happens, then replacing the beaglebone board in the unit would not cost a lot, the card above it is the expensive part and that should still be good.
        However if it is faulty I am sure FR24 support will sort it out for you.
        Ben.
        FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

The last lot worked out around AU$700 each, delivered. This included the Radarcape, Australian plug-pack power supply, GPS antenna plus a 5M STP Cat-6 cable.

Pic of what's included
          Feeders T-YSTW2, T-YSTW3, T-YBCG7, T-YBHI2 ... all Radarcape hardware

Comment

• Beaglebone board cost well under AU$100. There are two version Rev A and B. Better to check with FR24 guys which is compatible with their receiver board before you buy. Your config still should be on microSD card.
            Last edited by asela; 2014-05-15, 02:02.
            F-YSCB2, T-YSCB11

Comment

• Hopefully FR24 Support will have an answer soon and I hope it's just send me a replacement box. But if it's easier to replace a board, I could do that too.
              Last edited by Lancair70; 2014-05-15, 03:45.
              F-YBNA2

Comment

Hopefully FR24 Support will have an answer soon and I hope it's just send me a replacement box. But if it's easier to replace a board, I could do that too.
                Given that as the device has failed, it may or may not be what you think, and even if so, you may have other failed parts, which you wont know until you regain some access to it. Also not sure if you can tinker with their equipment, it may be a breach of agreement regardless of its serviceable status, also, there will be a concern you may do more damage to it than has already occurred.
                Last edited by Ressy; 2014-05-15, 04:05. Reason: typo

Comment

• I meant if that was their advice. I wont go tinkering with it. It would appear that it is only the ethernet that has failed. The box powers up and all usual lights flash etc. with the exception of the Ethernet port lights.
                  F-YBNA2

Comment

• Fr24 will sort you out, but you could also get a raspberry pi + dongle as a backup.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Speaking as someone who has had a peek inside their radarcape.

Ethernet is on the beaglebone board itself (as mentioned before), this could be as simple as swapping all the boards inside over to a new beaglebone (white not black) and swapping the sdcard over.

However if they just exchange it out for you (most likely scenario) its only postage and time at the end of the day.

More importantly once it is all sorted out it would be nice to work out what killed the Ethernet if possible? Not knowing what your setup is I would maybe maybe look at some protection.

One of the first things I found on google http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lightning-...-/300407146033

didn't look to deeply into whether it offers simply over voltage protection but you get the idea.

These sort of features are common on industrial Ethernet switches but then they come with quite a price tag too.
                      Last edited by SpaxmoidJAm; 2014-05-15, 07:06. Reason: damn my spelling
                      T-EGLF8

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                        Fr24 will sort you out, but you could also get a raspberry pi + dongle as a backup.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                        Excellent suggestion. Quite a few F feeders have a Rpi + Dongle as a backup.

And I am sure FR24 will sort it out... keep checking your email, Lancair70

Comment

• The guys in the tower at Camden (YSCN) south west of Sydney have a sense of humour. On turning the scanner onto the ATIS (125.10) yesterday and finding they were at information 'Echo' I heard the following (along with the relevant information, of course);

"Camden Terminal Information Echo..... echo"

Nice one guys, although I notice it's back to 'normal' today.

Regards,
                          Gregg
                          Last edited by fungus; 2014-05-16, 04:17.
                          YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• Check this ... Google project "Loon"...http://www.google.com/loon tracked by MLAT http://www.flightradar24.com/3579daa
                            Last edited by ナl; 2014-05-16, 09:08. Reason: added link
                            Feeders T-YSTW2, T-YSTW3, T-YBCG7, T-YBHI2 ... all Radarcape hardware

Comment

• Would be a first (Google Loon project) in Australia?

Another of interest is a aircraft using an incorrect ICAO24 hex (123456).
                              Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 2.57.21 PM (1).jpg
                              F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• THey have pretty good data to how the trade winds work out of Tekapo now. It managed to loop the globe 3 times! So may well be trying for higher latitudes now.

The question begs, where is the launch track. Its only showing the high alt stuff. Or am I a little late and its been dropped a few times so lost full track
                                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
                                X