X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bappleby
    replied
    Hi Guys,

Wondering if you wouldnt mind taking a look at this for me. Used to feed a few years ago but due to house moves, crap internet connectivity, internet black holes ect I had to stop. I am now back on deck where I want to start feeding from my office where I have a good permanent connection and I have attempted to set up again but have hit a few hurdles. I have installed this on a Windows 7 Box and I have it all up and running but its not feeding aircraft.

Now since I last used this software things have changed, there is a new application and I have never had this working before. I know the information is in here somewhere in the forum but its scattered everywhere, most of it pertains to old versions of the software and I should be researching stuff for my software business instead of screwing around with this.

If you could take a look at the screenshots which I have attached hopefully there is enough info there for someone to spot what is wrong. Any help would be really appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bappleby; 2015-07-19, 01:52.

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Originally posted by rodeo View Post
    Unfortunately bhaal, until I am comfortable with it feeding MLAT to both FA and FR, I won't be upgrading. Appears to be too many issues at this point in time getting the two to co-habit...

I intend to get a second RPi to try and get it working when time (and to a lesser extent, dollars) allows.....
    I'm not good at making instructions so if these aren't clear before proceeding let me know and I will clarify, hopefully the mods won't mind..

EDIT: Included step to do the signup process again so FR know you wish to participate in the MLAT trials...

1. Make a copy of your existing /etc/fr24feed.ini file.
    2. Stop the FA software, stop whatever dump1090 you are running, make sure THAT dump1090 doesn't start again (on boot etc).
    3. Install the new fr24feed deb package from the repo, let it overwrite the /etc/fr24feed.ini (because you MADE A BACKUP).
    4. run fr24feed --signup and enter your previous fr24key and the other details it wants to know, the server end needs this otherwise it will ignore MLAT data you send.
    5. copy the lines for mlat from the new config into the old config, and then switch the config files over (probably make a backup of the new file just for special occasions)
    6. install new FA deb package, but not the dump1090 package.
    7. sudo piaware-config -mlatResultsFormat "basestation,listen,31003" this will stop the PA mlat client sending mlat positions back to dump1090 (and therefore stop it screwing everything up for fr24feed) and also allow you to add the feed mlat position feed to VRS on port 31003.
    8. Sit back and enjoy

I have asked if there will be a way to get the mlat positions from the fr24feed but haven't heard back about it, though I suspect fr24feed is one way and only gives Mode-S + ADS-B data to the servers and the servers give nothing back...
    This setup is working for me so far, without sending false info to FR or FA as far as I can tell...

Regards,
    T-YBBN50
    Last edited by bhaal; 2015-07-19, 03:00.

Leave a comment:

• rodeo
    replied
    Unfortunately bhaal, until I am comfortable with it feeding MLAT to both FA and FR, I won't be upgrading. Appears to be too many issues at this point in time getting the two to co-habit...

I intend to get a second RPi to try and get it working when time (and to a lesser extent, dollars) allows.....

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Just for those who might not have been watching the forums, there is a new version of the fr24feed for Raspberry Pi (only) available now which also does MLAT. It would be great if all the people with Pi's could get this new version going, as it creates much better MLAT coverage, especially at lower altitudes. Also as you might have noticed, there are now new MLAT radar numbers on the FR24 live feed, T-MLAT7 for Australian Raspberry Pi MLAT feeds... Below is the forum post link:

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...r-Raspberry-Pi

Leave a comment:

• YSWG
    replied
    Arrived yesterday morning but I had uni all day and was hoping to get it mounted today, weather says otherwise (raining all day). Have another opportunity tomorrow morning, fingers crossed it is a better day!

Leave a comment:

• YSWG
    replied
    Replacement coax cable and antenna arrived in to the country today, so should arrive early next week. Depending on how busy I am, F-YSWG1 will be back online not long after it is delivered.

Leave a comment:

• North Borneo Radar
    replied
    Originally posted by airnrail View Post
    Queensland feeders down

While it goes without saying that all feeders are important and the more we have the better the coverage, their location is critical. More than a few in Oz provide the only coverage over their respective patches. When one or more goes down, it can leave vast inland areas with nothing but T-EST coverage. There is an example visible right now in north west Queensland with both F-YBMA1 Mt.Isa and F-YLRE1 Longreach down. Two of the most reliable feeders in the country for years, YBMA has been up and down for the last few months and YLRE has had also had a couple of breaks. If F-YEML1 Emerald were to also go down there would no coverage over inland Q’ld north of about Roma (another place where FR24 really needs a local feeder).

Given that YBMA and YLRE are both FR24 feeders that more than likely are hosted by their respective airports judging by their ground coverage, I wonder if FR24 could consider placing a second apparatus at each location? This seems to have been done at places like Broome and Ayres Rock to good effect.

Q’ld has also seems to have lost a couple of other good feeders in remote locations in the last six months in T-YLLE1 Ballera in the far south west corner and F-YBAM1 Bamarga, right at the tip of Cape York. Another very useful one, although not in Q’ld, that is currently missing in action is T-YBHI2 Broken Hill. I expect there are others too that people find particularly useful.
    very detailed observation... hopefully those who are in Queensland and are interested will respond from reading your post. Coverage always is key.

Leave a comment:

• airnrail
    replied
    Queensland feeders down

While it goes without saying that all feeders are important and the more we have the better the coverage, their location is critical. More than a few in Oz provide the only coverage over their respective patches. When one or more goes down, it can leave vast inland areas with nothing but T-EST coverage. There is an example visible right now in north west Queensland with both F-YBMA1 Mt.Isa and F-YLRE1 Longreach down. Two of the most reliable feeders in the country for years, YBMA has been up and down for the last few months and YLRE has had also had a couple of breaks. If F-YEML1 Emerald were to also go down there would no coverage over inland Qld north of about Roma (another place where FR24 really needs a local feeder).

Given that YBMA and YLRE are both FR24 feeders that more than likely are hosted by their respective airports judging by their ground coverage, I wonder if FR24 could consider placing a second apparatus at each location? This seems to have been done at places like Broome and Ayres Rock to good effect.

Qld has also seems to have lost a couple of other good feeders in remote locations in the last six months in T-YLLE1 Ballera in the far south west corner and F-YBAM1 Bamarga, right at the tip of Cape York. Another very useful one, although not in Qld, that is currently missing in action is T-YBHI2 Broken Hill. I expect there are others too that people find particularly useful.

Leave a comment:

• YSWG
    replied
    Wished that would solve it but these cockatoos are smart. :/
    PSX_20150630_174626.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Ressy
    replied
    Originally posted by YSWG View Post
    Problem found and it isn't good. Cockatoos have taken a large piece from the rubber capping on the antenna. So both T-YSWG2 and F-YSWG1 is offline. T-YSWG2 will be back sometime in the week (weather and time permitting).

Now to contact support.
    Nasty, now you can take the opptunity to grab a bunch of white plastic ties, do them through cardboard or plastic at various angles, so it ends up being like a porcupine, and glue that on top, that oughta stop em

Leave a comment:

• YSWG
    replied
    Problem found and it isn't good. Cockatoos have taken a large piece from the rubber capping on the antenna. So both T-YSWG2 and F-YSWG1 is offline. T-YSWG2 will be back sometime in the week (weather and time permitting).

Now to contact support.

Leave a comment:

• YSWG
    replied
    Well it's looking like a water issue, range (184nm) and message rate (peak at 7am) was back to near normal between 6-8am (20:00-22:00 UTC) but has dropped back off again (so far only up to 99nm and message rate well down on this mornings peak). Temperature at the airport was -1.2c though where I am it would've been around -2c. Will be looking at it tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2015-06-29 at 3.45.08 PM.png

Leave a comment:

• rodeo
    replied
    Looks like there is a lot more up there than what there used to be!! The stuff I used to work on is now licensed to Digital Distribution Australia - there was three microwave links, one across to Flakney, one to Collingullie (the Crown Castle (Vodafone) tower) and one into the council chambers in town.

Leave a comment:

• YSWG
    replied
    Yeah, it's on the police site. The microwave link connects to the Gumly tower (which I think is the tower that connects to the fibre backhaul).

Leave a comment:

• rodeo
    replied
    Originally posted by YSWG View Post
    Malebo Hill has a microwave (link) dish pointing right at me to another tower.
    Last time I worked at Malebo was about 8 years ago - putting up a microwave system. If its the same one, it points over to Mt Flackney. It may or may not be in service still and others may have been added since then. Malebo site belongs to NSW Police though it sounds like they are using it for the NBN now as well.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

Working...
X