• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ressy
    replied
    Originally posted by bappleby View Post
    Thanks T-YBBN50,

Unfortunately I have been waiting more than a minute, its been over 2 days and still nothing. I am regularly seeing up to 15 AC here and I would have thought it would at least be feeding some data. I suspect that something is wrong with my configuration or account but I am using the original FR24 key and I am in the same location as when I originally received my key.
    please refer to the myriad of threads on here since forever, IOW, this is situation normal, FR24 give almost just as wide range of excuses for it, but above all, the best one yet, there is absolutely nothing wrong with there code or servers, nothing, ok, so dont try tell them that or you'll be put in the troll bin and ignored yes, they clearly lost sight of how they are in existence today - because of people like us who donate our time and resources for them, now if you bite the hand that feeds you enough, that hand stops feeding you, and if enough hands stop feeding you, you eventually fade away to nothing.

beyond that, there are of course several other feed services around who are more than happy to take our feeds, AND listen AND act if a problem is detected since it is of course to their benefit to track down and eliminate errors - not ignore/palm it off like happens around here.

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Originally posted by YSWG View Post
    Personally, with the DBT stick, I wouldn't bother too much getting a expensive antenna. You'd only see a slight improvement, if you've done the homebrew correctly. If you were getting an ADS-B receiver, then getting a expensive antenna is a must have if you want to get the most from the box.

Raising it will help, example is the FR24 (before going offline) box could pick-up aircraft taxiing from the disused control tower and on the runway (buildings block the rest of the taxiway from the disused control tower to the terminal) and I'm in fact a few metres below the airport and about 11km as the crow flies, having the antenna 2m (~10m off the ground, 2 storey building) above the roof gives it a better view above but the homebrew (using the DBT) on the other hand can only get them to ~300m before dropping off before the Sturt Hwy or Elizabeth Ave.
    Well IMHO I think my antenna is working reasonably well, I am not using an amp of any sort, it's straight out of the antenna, into the dongle, about 1.5mtr of RG6 ... As it is, I cannot quite see the planes on the tarmac at YBBN, but their ADS-B altitude goes to about -200ft before I lose contact with them.. The same goes for the Redcliffe aerodrome (YRED) .. so I am thinking if I can get the antenna up just that little bit more, it will make a huge difference.. Let you all know how things go when I get to doing that..

Can't say I would be happy about cockatoos eating my antenna though.... We get them around here, but not in plague proportions.. I get them in the yard because I have a monster passionfruit vine, and they love them...

Leave a comment:

• bappleby
    replied
    Cheers YSWG2,

I am currently on Inglewood Road and could fire a shot over the airport, however I will be relocating soon to the south of the lake and from there should pretty much have line of sight to the airport. I have installed the coaxial cable in my new home ready for a permanent feeder and that should happen within about three months. I suppose the cockatoos will chew try and it out as well which means I might have to relocate the dogs onto the roof to keep them away from my antenna

Leave a comment:

• YSWG
    replied
    Personally, with the DBT stick, I wouldn't bother too much getting a expensive antenna. You'd only see a slight improvement, if you've done the homebrew correctly. If you were getting an ADS-B receiver, then getting a expensive antenna is a must have if you want to get the most from the box.

Raising it will help, example is the FR24 (before going offline) box could pick-up aircraft taxiing from the disused control tower and on the runway (buildings block the rest of the taxiway from the disused control tower to the terminal) and I'm in fact a few metres below the airport and about 11km as the crow flies, having the antenna 2m (~10m off the ground, 2 storey building) above the roof gives it a better view above but the homebrew (using the DBT) on the other hand can only get them to ~300m before dropping off before the Sturt Hwy or Elizabeth Ave.

Leave a comment:

• bappleby
    replied
    I don't think PM has been activated on this forum. :/ I can be contacted via http://www.crowingstudios.com/pages/contact/
    Done, go the Crow......

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    RPi does have a homebrew antenna, reverted to a failed build (no time to build a replacement) as the one I was using was destroyed as well. Both homebrew antennas have less range then the FR24 antenna (in the same location and height).
    Ah ok, Just wondering whether it was worth getting proper antenna at some point, but I might try raising the antenna first, I get on average over 300km to my north, but have 2 storey houses and trees to my south an south west, antenna is about 1.5mtrs off the roof of a single storey house.. Um 16 element coco.. If I can I am going to attempt to get it about 6mtrs above the roof and see how that goes, just need a longer pole

Leave a comment:

• YSWG
    replied
    I don't think PM has been activated on this forum. :/ I can be contacted via http://www.crowingstudios.com/pages/contact/

Leave a comment:

• bappleby
    replied
    Hi there fellow Wagga feeder,

Well I was reading that someone said not to run RTL1090 and the feeder software at the same time so I shut down RTL1090 and now it seems to be feeding fine, trouble is I made so many changes at the same time I don't know what has caused it to suddenly work. I also emailed support regarding my account and I don't know if they have changed something buy it appears I am up and running. PM me your details so I can talk with you off line and not bog down the thread.

Leave a comment:

• YSWG
    replied
    RPi does have a homebrew antenna, reverted to a failed build (no time to build a replacement) as the one I was using was destroyed as well. Both homebrew antennas have less range then the FR24 antenna (in the same location and height).Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 9.01.00 PM.png
    Last edited by YSWG; 2015-07-19, 11:05.

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Hi fellow Wagganite

I wonder if the fr24 key could be unactivated due (email support and ask if this is the case) [ignore that, noticed you are feeding from time to time] to it not being used for such a long time, I'm not sure. I'm using one that feeds to FR24 and FA (T-YSWG2, which is a Raspberry Pi 2) and have a FR24 box (F-YSWG1), though the latter is offline due to the cockies attacking the antenna (replacement is up but need to feed the new cable to the FR24 box).

T-YSWG2 was originally running on a Windows 7 system but issues with the feed dropping out meant that I had to move over to a Linux system, which solved that but I then was successful in hosting an FR24 box, which saw T-YSWG2 retire until a year later when I got the RPi.

Edit:
    Looking at the second image (FR24 Feeder Settings), the Host/IP is blank, have you tried "localhost:31001" (I think that is the port number, if not try 30001)?
    Do you have a homebrew antenna on the Pi feeder? if so, how does it compare to the FR24 antenna when they are running at the same time?

Leave a comment:

• YSWG
    replied
    Hi fellow Wagganite

I wonder if the fr24 key could be unactivated due (email support and ask if this is the case) [ignore that, noticed you are feeding from time to time] to it not being used for such a long time, I'm not sure. I'm using one that feeds to FR24 and FA (T-YSWG2, which is a Raspberry Pi 2) and have a FR24 box (F-YSWG1), though the latter is offline due to the cockies attacking the antenna (replacement is up but need to feed the new cable to the FR24 box).

T-YSWG2 was originally running on a Windows 7 system but issues with the feed dropping out meant that I had to move over to a Linux system, which solved that but I then was successful in hosting an FR24 box, which saw T-YSWG2 retire until a year later when I got the RPi.

Edit:
    Looking at the second image (FR24 Feeder Settings), the Host/IP is blank, have you tried "localhost:31001" (I think that is the port number, if not try 30001)?

With the account not activated for the premium, contact support.
    Last edited by YSWG; 2015-07-19, 10:53.

Leave a comment:

• bappleby
    replied
    Thanks T-YBBN50,

Unfortunately I have been waiting more than a minute, its been over 2 days and still nothing. I am regularly seeing up to 15 AC here and I would have thought it would at least be feeding some data. I suspect that something is wrong with my configuration or account but I am using the original FR24 key and I am in the same location as when I originally received my key.

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Originally posted by bappleby View Post
    And some further information from my Premium Account that I have managed to reset the password and log into.

Strange thing here is it seems as though according to the Availability Stats that I am sending data in?

Is all this because my account is not active or something? If you look at Account Info it shows Accounts status: Not active. Immediately they recognise my feed I would expect that would change status to active?
    It should change I'd imagine, within a minute or so... Just use the same fr24key as you used to do I guess, if you are in the same local area as previously I don't think you will need to start a new radar ID etc..?

Leave a comment:

• bappleby
    replied
    And some further information from my Premium Account that I have managed to reset the password and log into.

Strange thing here is it seems as though according to the Availability Stats that I am sending data in?

Is all this because my account is not active or something? If you look at Account Info it shows Accounts status: Not active. Immediately they recognise my feed I would expect that would change status to active?

Availability Stats.PNGAccount Info.PNG

Leave a comment:

• bappleby
    replied
    And another two files showing the RTL1090 shots as I exceeded more thank 5 attachmentsRTL1090 Config Settings.PNGRTL1090.PNG.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X