Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wonk View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

Although Moorabbin is technically my closest airport I can't pick up many signals from that direction due to geographical barriers (a hill to my South). I built a coaxial collinear antenna over the weekend which has extended my coverage out to Tullamarine for aircraft ~3500ft or higher.

Arguably a T-YMMLx designation would be more appropriate
    Yeah well, airport codes are a bit of a mystery on FR24 sometimes - you'll probably see a few odd matches as you trawl around Australia eg F-YPAD1, you'd think it'd be somewhere around Adelaide but no - it's at Moomba!

Comment

• Originally posted by wonk View Post
      Thanks for the warm welcome!

Although Moorabbin is technically my closest airport I can't pick up many signals from that direction due to geographical barriers (a hill to my South). I built a coaxial collinear antenna over the weekend which has extended my coverage out to Tullamarine for aircraft ~3500ft or higher.

Arguably a T-YMMLx designation would be more appropriate
      Don't waste your time going there (radar codes) they are often nowhere near the supposed location.
      No idea why they have gone down this path and FR are not telling anyone why. Take comfort at least
      you are in the same state as your code.

Good to see you on board

F-YMAY1

Comment

• Now there is MLAT coverage in southern NSW.

Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 10.00.14 PM.jpg

F-YSWG1 is now online, though the antenna is set-up on a temporary mast and need to get a more flexible CAT6 cable. T-YSWG2 was taken offline this afternoon, the dongle will be used for other projects (ACARS, watching ADS-B aircraft on the ground, listening to near by aircraft ect).

Went out and purchased a waterproof box, just needs some outdoor sealant for the cut outs.
        DSC_0223.jpg
        F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Originally posted by YSWG View Post
          Now there is MLAT coverage in southern NSW.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3945[/ATTACH]

F-YSWG1 is now online, though the antenna is set-up on a temporary mast and need to get a more flexible CAT6 cable. T-YSWG2 was taken offline this afternoon, the dongle will be used for other projects (ACARS, watching ADS-B aircraft on the ground, listening to near by aircraft ect).

Went out and purchased a waterproof box, just needs some outdoor sealant for the cut outs.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3946[/ATTACH]
          YSWG,

Wow it is looking neat and tidy!

Just to ask a few questions, might be a bit silly...

It is a PVC junction box right? Did you use a drill to drill those holes through the PVC? And how do you secure the power outlet inside? Is it with screws that goes into the wall? Or somehow with those cable ties... but I can't figure it out. Thanks for showing the pic!

Comment

• Not really neat! The cut out for the power point isn't clean.

The box is what they call an "Adaptable Weatherproof Box" but yes it is really a junction box. Yep, had to drill the holes for the cables and to drilled some starter holes for the hacksaw blade. The cable ties are holding the box, the power point has been fitted when the building was built.
            F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

Not really neat! The cut out for the power point isn't clean.

The box is what they call an "Adaptable Weatherproof Box" but yes it is really a junction box. Yep, had to drill the holes for the cables and to drilled some starter holes for the hacksaw blade. The cable ties are holding the box, the power point has been fitted when the building was built.
              ok cheers for that. Nice to see how people do things in a different way and how it works.

Comment

Now there is MLAT coverage in southern NSW.

I've replaced T-YSWG2 with F-YSWG1 on my list of Aussie feeders. Thanks for letting us all know. Good news about MLAT down there because apart from SE Q'ld it's been a bit underwhelming so far.
                Last edited by airnrail; 2014-04-24, 04:57.

Comment

• Great new feeder T-YPKG1 at Kalgoorlie

Just noticed this one today. Outstanding coverage down to Esperance and about 60km east out into the Bight. Overlaps with Leinster in the north, the Albany feeders in the south and several of the Perth feeders to the west. Must actually be in Kalgoorlie (you never quite know these days) as it gets planes to ground level at the airport. Now if only we could get a feeder actually at Esperance and another around Eucla I think the Bight would be fully covered. Well done to whoever put this one up.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                    ok cheers for that. Nice to see how people do things in a different way and how it works.
                    No problem. Thought it may help a few people come up with other ideas. I'm just lucky to have the power point outside (though would prefer it to be higher up under the eaves [would mean less coaxial needed, as I'm using the maximum 10m which is just enough]).

The FR24 antenna is at the same height as my original home made CoCo, maximum range from it was around 164nm [FR24 stats] but with the FR24 antenna, it is now around 190nm (34nm improvement).

Range from VRS, since SBSpopulate has been overwhelmed with the amount of messages it receives (need to run it for longer since it stops logging from time to time).
                    Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 10.09.42 PM.jpg
                    F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Hi All, Just catching up with this thread, and can add a small correction to a feeder listings.
                      I have F-YNND2. It is listed as Darwin nearest airport and Darwin actual location. I'm actually in Katherine, and we do have an airport here. (Tindal RAAF and some light aircraft use).

Comment

• Originally posted by F-YDDN2 View Post
                        Hi All, Just catching up with this thread, and can add a small correction to a feeder listings.
                        I have F-YNND2. It is listed as Darwin nearest airport and Darwin actual location. I'm actually in Katherine, and we do have an airport here. (Tindal RAAF and some light aircraft use).
                        Glad to hear from you with that correction. I've changed my list and I'll post an updated version of it here in the next week or so. Cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by F-YDDN2 View Post
                          I'm actually in Katherine, and we do have an airport here. (Tindal RAAF and some light aircraft use).
                          Well does get the odd passenger jet, most of the time it's weather related. Nice to see some good coverage up there! How is the ADS-B in heavy rain?
                          F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• You"re right we do get the occasional passenger jet, but it's not usually planned. The FA-18's are fun, but don't play the ADS-B game. Thunderstorms and heavy rain certainly effects range. I'm not really impressed with the coverage in good weather, I'm getting 99nm this week.

Comment

• Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie and currently feeding from Canberra (ACT) about 15km NW to Airport.

T-YSCB11 - RTL dongle with home made coaxial collinear antenna.
                              F-YSCB2 - Up and running since yesterday.
                              F-YSCB2, T-YSCB11

Comment

• Originally posted by asela View Post
                                Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie and currently feeding from Canberra (ACT) about 15km NW to Airport.

T-YSCB11 - RTL dongle with home made coaxial collinear antenna.
                                F-YSCB2 - Up and running since yesterday.
                                Welcome to FR24. I've seen planes from both of your feeders in the last couple of days. There are probably not many folk running both types at the same location and it is illuminating to observe the difference. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                X