Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bhaal
    replied
    And now for a Sunday funny.... Someone forgot to turn off their ADS-B transponder when leaving the AP precinct

van190adsb.png

(YBBN)
    Last edited by bhaal; 2016-01-03, 07:07. Reason: Didn't mention location

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Originally posted by Ressy View Post
    Some people dont like Slackware
    Damn straight! I hate slackware! hahaha I use Debian/Ubuntu mostly and centos for cpanel servers... But anyway, have you tried compiling piaware from github source?

Leave a comment:

• Ressy
    replied
    Originally posted by rodeo View Post
    What model Ressy? a N54L perchance?? what made you go down the slackware route as well?

Cheers
    LOL its an ml350G4, an antique, but its served me well for many years..

My use of slackware, well, I'm a sys/network admin for 20 odd years, slackwares pretty much whats been used in the ISP's I have worked for, and web hosting stuff as well (strangely, the debian fanboi-ism was never in any place I've been with, either Slackware or RHEL/Centos, or Gentoo), because i was used to it, I use slackware on my home servers, on desktops I used slackware, then at about RH5 I moved desktop to it, but after RH9 I moved back to slackware (mostly because RH lost the plot from RH9 to FC1), as to also why I moved my desktop off slackware, I think it was early day large multimedia suite I used required it, I eventually changed the RPM into a workable tar file to use on slackware so after a while that was moot.

I find Slackware unbreakable, I love how its stays true to form upstream (I mean take bind for example, if it was meant to be in 7-9 mini packages like in debian, ISC would release it that way), which means no butchering or custom hacking, which introduces more risk of failure. Debians claim to have most packages for linux is true - but only because of that! if you break 1 into 7, even someone as shitty at maths as I am can see you have a much larger grand total

BTW, I also use Slackware on my laptop (because I despise gnome 3 and even more so unity).

Some people dont like Slackware because of how it does dependencies, well, I rather know whats going on my system, I like how I can remove a package and install a current package (even though slackware does mostly have current packages even in its updates) and have no fear of some garbage like apt wanting to remove three quarters of my distro

It also does not do releases by mandates, it releases when its time, though there is -current so you can have latest of everything, kinda like opensuse's
    factory, or gentoo, lastly, updates are as or greater than most "enterprise advertised" distros, eg, an update recently for libpng included v13.0 from 2009.

And absolute lastly I've also been bitten distro upgrades from RH and debian and ubuntu over the times, I've never been bitten by slackwares, so reliability, stability, and un-breakability, my only gripe is no gnome. but, since I recently moved my ubuntu laptop partition because of unity, and opensuse's factory because of gnome 3, I took the time to get used to KDE, now , I don't mind it, I can do anything I used to do.

...well, you did ask
    Last edited by Ressy; 2016-01-03, 03:08. Reason: bad typo (we need a bigger edit window LOL)

Leave a comment:

• rodeo
    replied
    Nah, I run all this stuff on my multimedia file server (HP mini tower server w/Slackware)
    What model Ressy? a N54L perchance?? what made you go down the slackware route as well?

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Ressy
    replied
    Originally posted by bhaal View Post

Are you running on a Pi? If so what Linux dist? I should be able to help get you going with it. Let me know what is going wrong. I just compiled my own dump1090-mutability to make sure I had the absolute latest when having issues with mlat back feeding to fr24 again when changing settings, but I worked it all out, though it likely means I cannot help with fr24 mlat... But that's life..
    Nah, I run all this stuff on my multimedia file server (HP mini tower server w/Slackware), since all it does is store my backs of CD's, DVD's and digital B.P.M/itunes, serving them over NFS and minidlna the load is 0 so I decided to put it to *some* use to justify Origin Energy's criminally extortive 25c price per Kw/hr

Happy New Year!

Leave a comment:

• rodeo
    replied
    Yup, 7am ADST whenthe updater script ran and proceeded to crash.

Manually updated to 1.0.16-7 after reading the various threads and we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Happy New Year everyone.

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
    May have done its auto-update or suffered the 7amUTC failure others have seen recently.
    I think it was 7am local, because that's the time mine shutdown every morning...

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Originally posted by rodeo View Post
    It appears YSBK22 has been AWOL since the 14th and I haven't realised it. Haven't worked out yet was caused the feed to fail considering its been rock solid previously. My parallel FA feed didn't suffer so it wasn't something dump1090 related, just a failure of the FR24 feeder.

Back feeding again after a service restart.

Would have been nice to know it had failed ......(ala FA's auto email.....)
    Yeah, FR24 have a new version, you need to upgrade, I am pretty sure it's FR24 saying "upgrade" by making the fr24feed client shutdown every morning at 7am... After a couple of days of it happening here I did an update and all has been fine since..

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    May have done its auto-update or suffered the 7amUTC failure others have seen recently.

Leave a comment:

• rodeo
    replied
    It appears YSBK22 has been AWOL since the 14th and I haven't realised it. Haven't worked out yet was caused the feed to fail considering its been rock solid previously. My parallel FA feed didn't suffer so it wasn't something dump1090 related, just a failure of the FR24 feeder.

Back feeding again after a service restart.

Would have been nice to know it had failed ......(ala FA's auto email.....)

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    I see the Heavy lifters and Coulsons are getting their legs stretched

http://fr24.com/BDOG376/868e1eb

Quite a bit of activity with them in the air
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2015-12-31, 05:14.

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    I'm pretty sure YRED would sh%t that in, we see 300 ft Bribie from here and we have some 50 foot trees nearby in that direction, from memory you said you can see YRED down to 100 feet? So it would have no problem seeing your area at about that, or lower - if you can get on top of a hangar
    Ahhh that's true I guess... Now I feel a touch silly

Nope thats the one we dont because of software build problems, haven't looked at it in a few months so maybe they've sorted it, I dunno, I might again try one day when I get bored.
    Are you running on a Pi? If so what Linux dist? I should be able to help get you going with it. Let me know what is going wrong. I just compiled my own dump1090-mutability to make sure I had the absolute latest when having issues with mlat back feeding to fr24 again when changing settings, but I worked it all out, though it likely means I cannot help with fr24 mlat... But that's life..

ohh gawd yes, everytime we did an activity, from memory about half a dozen or so per module we had to do JSA's, like their Env Prot codes, we probably ended up at end of teh course knowing more about WHS and Env Prot Act then the jokers who enforce it

and, no, I don't hold a riggers.. that reminds me, they do similar courses where I did my telco stuff, one of them is pole rescue, thankfully they used a weighted dummy to simulate a real person, coz every student had to lower from top this limp body, and the amount of times that poor dummy was smashed into the poll coming down, haha I kept thinking if that was me I'd tell em to #### off and i'd wait for fire rescue
    That doesn't surprise me at all, knowing more than the enforces, they generally only learn once, and then learn new rules, but often forget the old rules, which is a bit sad considering this might stop them seeing something dangerously dodgy etc... As for being stuck up a pole.. Lets hope you are conscious otherwise you may well end up being a pole dummy

Leave a comment:

• Ressy
    replied
    I do understand and get that but I need somewhere which can see down to about 500ft over my house
    I'm pretty sure YRED would sh%t that in, we see 300 ft Bribie from here and we have some 50 foot trees nearby in that direction, from memory you said you can see YRED down to 100 feet? So it would have no problem seeing your area at about that, or lower - if you can get on top of a hangar

Do you feed to FA as well?
    Nope thats the one we dont because of software build problems, haven't looked at it in a few months so maybe they've sorted it, I dunno, I might again try one day when I get bored.

Yeah, WH&S has come a long way.. Making sure everyone has their bases covered, coz Insurance companies are in the business of making money, not paying it out (for the equip, not lives lost).. Do you have a rigging license as well?
    ohh gawd yes, everytime we did an activity, from memory about half a dozen or so per module we had to do JSA's, like their Env Prot codes, we probably ended up at end of teh course knowing more about WHS and Env Prot Act then the jokers who enforce it

and, no, I don't hold a riggers.. that reminds me, they do similar courses where I did my telco stuff, one of them is pole rescue, thankfully they used a weighted dummy to simulate a real person, coz every student had to lower from top this limp body, and the amount of times that poor dummy was smashed into the poll coming down, haha I kept thinking if that was me I'd tell em to #### off and i'd wait for fire rescue

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Maybe so, but remember the advantages of all that clear open space, and, being coastal, the horizon to west over D'Aguilar ranges would be lower, therefor greater range.
    I do understand and get that but I need somewhere which can see down to about 500ft over my house

then I do at YCAB with this whopping great thing in the air.
    Do you feed to FA as well?

You probably cant go wrong, but yeah, if disaster ever did occur, and you can show a qualified sparkie did the connections, they cant get out of it
    That's the main thing.. My house is family owned so I have been able to put stuff on the roof without any fuss, but if lightning should take it out and the insurance find fault with it and don't cover it, I'd be very out of pocket (and home)..

In telecomms we are able to access building earth and do it directly (except from within switchboard itself) so that exemption to us is granted I think because there is an extensive session on this stuff we have to know and pass, correct methods, equipment, resistances, procedures, separations, and connections for normal groundings, surge protection, and for noise reduction earthing (TRC), and as with other sections you gotta pass it all, its 100% required pass rate now days, so if you screw up or cut corners, you get told to fix it, and if you cant. you fail the entire course no mater how good you are at all other modules, fair enough I suppose because the chances of loss of life and/or property is very high when dealing with this stuff, and its usually not your own life you put at risk.
    Yeah, WH&S has come a long way.. Making sure everyone has their bases covered, coz Insurance companies are in the business of making money, not paying it out (for the equip, not lives lost).. Do you have a rigging license as well?

Leave a comment:

• Ressy
    replied
    I have thought about this but the problem is that they are almost at sea level, with some 15mtrs in height blocking them from me
    Maybe so, but remember the advantages of all that clear open space, and, being coastal, the horizon to west over D'Aguilar ranges would be lower, therefor greater range.

Sitting over at Bongaree near jetty with a laptop and dongles 10cm antenna ar ground level plus 3feet I get ground level at YBBN, I also get much lower coverage *and* about 4 times further west then I do at YCAB with this whopping great thing in the air.

For the sake of the insurance and the $100 or so it would cost I will more than likely have a local sparkie come out and provide the clamps and attach them. Rather be safe than sorry...
    You probably cant go wrong, but yeah, if disaster ever did occur, and you can show a qualified sparkie did the connections, they cant get out of it

In telecomms we are able to access building earth and do it directly (except from within switchboard itself) so that exemption to us is granted I think because there is an extensive session on this stuff we have to know and pass, correct methods, equipment, resistances, procedures, separations, and connections for normal groundings, surge protection, and for noise reduction earthing (TRC), and as with other sections you gotta pass it all, its 100% required pass rate now days, so if you screw up or cut corners, you get told to fix it, and if you cant. you fail the entire course no mater how good you are at all other modules, fair enough I suppose because the chances of loss of life and/or property is very high when dealing with this stuff, and its usually not your own life you put at risk.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X