Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YPAD View Post
    Hi Gregg, is the 1090sj a homebrew antenna or something that can be purchased in Australia ? I am using the mag mount antenna that came with my SBS1-er.

Regards Sean
    Sean,
    It was a manufactured antenna that one of the chat mods (Delcomp) brought out for me from Germany on a visit. Sorry but I dont know where or if it's available here. They may know more on the chat.

Il'll see if i can find the link;

news isnt good, no more pic and discontinued by the looks of it, Sorry mate

Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2013-02-10, 13:25.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Spotted: Radar F-YPPH3 (F signifying it's an FR24 deployed box) in addition to T-YPPH3 and T-YPPH2 (me)

Getting some good coverage out here now - a big difference from only 2 months ago when there was nothing.
      - Matt
      T-YPPH2

Comment

I went online about 23 hours ago. It would have been sooner but that lightning storm convinced me being on a tin roof with an antenna wasn't a good place to be.
        My altitude isn't that great being close to the beach, but the antenna is up reasonably high and I have an excellent view of the sky all around.
        Rob, VK6UFO
        F-YPPH3
        o410E

Comment

Welcome Rob!
          I was offline for a few hours tonight, I had a power outage and my UPS was unhappy and did not restart.
          - Matt
          T-YPPH2

Comment

You probably suffered from one of the many pole-top fires Perth had yesterday, Same every year... no rain for three months then when we get some, blammo.
            I'd like to plug the FR24 into the UPS but it's too far away and the network isn't on UPS either.
            Fixed my sig by the way oops
            Rob, VK6UFO
            F-YPPH3
            o410E

Comment

Whoever is near Melb will be rubbing their hands together at the visitors to Avalon for the show if today is anything to go by.

I've watched a local Learjet 35A (VH-LRX) fly in, A US gulfstream (N280GD) from Melb storage roll out and hop over. The learjet was in holding awaiting something for some time, and then a A330 tanker flew in behind. And currently Malta 9H-AVK is doing a tour around the south ex Avalon

And have it on good authority you will see Gulfstream Aviations own N650PH demo GLF650 (which is a sexy little aircraft!) arrive there this week
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

One more to the list. Japanese Airforce tanker http://fr24.com/JF601

No doubt with something less tracked in tow
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

A friend of mine is now hosting an FR24 receiver in Port Hedland, WA - about 4km from the runway at YPPD
                  The antenna is indoors for the next couple of days until he gets the chance to put it on the roof but it can already see runway and taxiway traffic, and overlaps with T-YPKA1 at the higher flight levels
                  That means for International traffic entering/leaving the West coast we now have uninterrupted coverage from near Margaret River in the south to somewhere between Port Hedland and Broome...
                  - Matt
                  T-YPPH2

Comment

Sound very good. We are waiting for the antenna to get moved outside

Comment

Remaining Embraer 190's in Australia without ADS-B

There are now only three Embraer 190's operating in Australia for Virgin Australia which are still not equipped with ADS-B transponders. Slowly all are being equipped (in fact many aircraft are doing so) in preparation for the mandatory requirement (in Australia) to fit and operate this equipment from December this year for all aircraft capable of flying at or above FL290 (29,000ft). Those Virgin aircraft still awaiting fitment are:

VH-ZPC
                      VH-ZPD
                      VH-ZPK

I've logged all three recently on my receiver (the first two as recently as today) and they should soon appear with ADS-B and be visible on FR24 (unless they flog them off and I've seen nothing to indicate this may happen).

I've just checked the CASA register and found 15 of these aircraft in the sequence ZPA-ZPO which are still listed as 'active' (and designated as ERJ190-100's just for the sake of interest).

Regarding the following comment from Mike, Australian coverage has continued to steadily improve over the recent past, something it would appear some have been calling for going by some thread comments. Well done guys (who feed) and well done FR24 team.

Regards,
                      Gregg
                      Last edited by fungus; 2013-09-25, 22:14.
                      YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Another 4 ADS-B receivers will be sent to north, central and western Australia later this week. When installed we should have close to 100% coverage in Australia on FL290+

Comment

Mike any hits as to where besides "north, central and western Australia" the suspense is killing me ...

Comment

Now transmitting from T-YDKI1 Dunk Island

Comment

T-YBNS Bairnsdale in East Gippsland is now feeding on a full time basis. Currently using a Terratec T-Stick DVB-T USB Stick (E4000)
                              I built the antenna shown @ http://tech-software.net/1090_ant_02.JPG. Using RTL1090 Build 102 Beta on a standalone Dell 2400 PC
                              with a wifi link to my router. Overall performance seems quite reasonable, out to 180nm on the Melbourne Auckland track. Now waiting
                              on a TV28T v2 DVB-T USB Stick (R820T) having since read that this is a better chip than the E4000. Its also interesting to see the
                              flights that do not make it onto FR24 for various reasons. So far I've spend about $100 on this and well a fair bit of time experimenting
                              but its sure been fun.

Comment

G’day nomad77, glad to see you are having such fun with this great hobby.
                                I also built Andrew Rich’s collinear design and found that while it worked OK, it did not seem to have the performance of the SSE 1090SJ mk2 ADS-B Antenna that I subsequently purchased commercially.
                                I see that SiliconChip mag has recently published a very similar design to Andrew’s in their Sep 2013 issue but I noted a very different dimension for the upper element.
                                Andrew’s design calls for 190mm but SiliconChip suggests 62mm. Other dimensions are almost the same.
                                Unfortunately, SiliconChip have been a bit short on explanation of the “scaling up” from the 2.45GHz WiFi model that would result in a number similar to Andrew’s design.
                                I have been tempted to try to go back to the old antenna and shave a bit off this element to see if that improves its performance. But now that I am feeding 24x7, that would require some down time and an uncomfortable trip to the roof.
                                Maybe you would be interested to experiment with yours?

Comment

Working...
                                X