X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by bhaal View Post
    Hrm.. It shouldn't affect your average range, I've never actually got a position for them, which means they cannot be used in averaging stats.. Guess I just lost some range at some point, not that it's happened before... I am guessing that 2 of them are closer to the terminals which would reduce the signal for you, I only get the occasional GND message which is normally on the taxiway right at the start of RWY01 right in the middle between the runway and the Int. terminal. So these mode-s transmitters have to be off the ground by about 20-50ft... So if any of you are spotters look for antenna towers that form a quadrant spaced widely apart around the runway...?
    Fellow aussies;

The information I'm posting here isn't directly relevant to your query up there regarding those Mode-S sites but I hope is of some help to you in tracking them down. Here in Sydney there are 4 of them, 7C7FCA, CB, CC and CD of which I pick up two of them permanently and one intermittently on my SBS-1 unit. As I've posted elsewhere on the forum where these sites are located I wont repeat it all here but suffice it to say one is on Mt Razorback southwest of the city (elevation approx. 1,600ft) between Picton and Menangle, one is at Kurrajong Heights to the northwest of the city (elevation approx. 1,000 ft) and two are on Centrepoint Tower in the city (elevation approx. 1,000ft). (note these elevations may not be 100% accurate as I'm going on memory). Interestingly on my unit they are all displayed at elevation 0ft.

The two at Centrepoint Tower used to be picked up by the 'F' feeders and displayed on the FR24 map but would be sprayed all over the city, M-LAT being what it is at those elevations. That was recently fixed by the FR24 team and they are now hidden which is good because they were very disconcerting when Rwy 16L & R were in operation and they kept getting in the way of landing aircraft display.

As I said, I hope this information might help you guys to figure out where those sites are up there in and around Brissy. I thought the elevations alone may give you a clue. Those here are under a callsign ('SSM' - SSM1, SSM2, SSM3, SSM4) which is operated by 'Sydney Site Monitoring' but I haven't been able to find any equivalent up there.

Good luck and regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2017-06-18, 03:26.

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemistry View Post
    No bhaal, my logs show all four TEST1234s were up with one second contacts across that time. I get them all quite strong and do worry that their data badly impacts my "average range" statistics. Not sure that they are filtered off in FR24. Looks like FA do filter them in their stats. I do not know where they are located but the signal strengths are different (2 stronger than the other two). Maybe they are not even at YBBN field?
    Hrm.. It shouldn't affect your average range, I've never actually got a position for them, which means they cannot be used in averaging stats.. Guess I just lost some range at some point, not that it's happened before... I am guessing that 2 of them are closer to the terminals which would reduce the signal for you, I only get the occasional GND message which is normally on the taxiway right at the start of RWY01 right in the middle between the runway and the Int. terminal. So these mode-s transmitters have to be off the ground by about 20-50ft... So if any of you are spotters look for antenna towers that form a quadrant spaced widely apart around the runway...?

Leave a comment:

• Kemistry
    replied
    Hmmm, did one of the TEST1234 beacons at BNE go offline for a little while? I can see 7CF7BA and 7CF7B8 constantly and 7CF7B9 occasionally pops up... But 7CF7BA seems to have dropped out at some point about an hour ago around 18:50, 29th Apr...? Or did I lose signal strength maybe because of rain? Oh, does anyone know how high off the ground the beacons are, and where they are in relation to the runway?
    No bhaal, my logs show all four TEST1234s were up with one second contacts across that time. I get them all quite strong and do worry that their data badly impacts my "average range" statistics. Not sure that they are filtered off in FR24. Looks like FA do filter them in their stats. I do not know where they are located but the signal strengths are different (2 stronger than the other two). Maybe they are not even at YBBN field?

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Hmmm, did one of the TEST1234 beacons at BNE go offline for a little while? I can see 7CF7BA and 7CF7B8 constantly and 7CF7B9 occasionally pops up... But 7CF7BA seems to have dropped out at some point about an hour ago around 18:50, 29th Apr...? Or did I lose signal strength maybe because of rain? Oh, does anyone know how high off the ground the beacons are, and where they are in relation to the runway?

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Ahhh I've only seen 1 Skytraders plane, an A319 VH-VCJ, and that was only just on the 22nd April this year, callsign was SND2.. Come up from south of the border and left again about 2hrs after landing, flying back from whence it came...
    You have premium eh? Look at vhd history. You can easily see it's selective and not blanketed. Some of the blanks have been filled out by mlat.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Asuka
    replied
    Ahhh I've only seen 1 Skytraders plane, an A319 VH-VCJ, and that was only just on the 22nd April this year, callsign was SND2.. Come up from south of the border and left again about 2hrs after landing, flying back from whence it came...
    There is also A319 VH-VHD that does Antarctica trips.

A Skytraders Airbus A319 has been used on behalf of the Australian government to ferry asylum seekers to the remote pacific island state of Nauru.
    According to the publication Crikey, Skytraders made a request to the global flight tracking organisation, FlightAware, that its asylum-seeker transportation flights not be tracked.

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Originally posted by Asuka View Post
    They fully fly with transponders, but have requested public websites like FR24 not report them.

If you have your own setup, you would see them.

Skytraders does many movements not reported on FR24.

The 340 White Airbus is often used to different stuff too.

Leave a comment:

• Asuka
    replied
    So they are flying with no transponders at all?
    They fully fly with transponders, but have requested public websites like FR24 not report them.

If you have your own setup, you would see them.

Skytraders does many movements not reported on FR24.

The 340 White Airbus is often used to different stuff too.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    I've seen skytraders be there, or not. Don't recall the 319 showing as 'blocked' as it would always be set. But it has been mode-s only in the past. Sometimes it leaves tracks to Antarctica, other times it's still invisible in that non trackable mode

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    They are not Immigration flights you are seeing.

All immigration flights are blocked.

Part of the policy of the current government, can't see it, it never happened.

Leave a comment:

• Asuka
    replied
    The Aus Govt asked FR24 to block them? Because the Nauru Airlines planes still have their ADS-B transponders on.. I see them flying in and out of BNE/YBBN all the time on my radar...
    They are not Immigration flights you are seeing.

All immigration flights are blocked.

Part of the policy of the current government, can't see it, it never happened.
    Last edited by Asuka; 2016-04-29, 00:03.

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    All those flights are blocked anyway, so there is nothing to see there.

This was a request of the Australian Government, same with Nauru.
    The Aus Govt asked FR24 to block them? Because the Nauru Airlines planes still have their ADS-B transponders on.. I see them flying in and out of BNE/YBBN all the time on my radar...

Leave a comment:

• Asuka
    replied
    Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
    Is that the island that was just found that the 'resort' wasnt so legal?

Wasnt SND1 servicing that anyways and turning transponder off?
    All those flights are blocked anyway, so there is nothing to see there.

This was a request of the Australian Government, same with Nauru.

Leave a comment:

• Ressy
    replied
    Originally posted by airnrail View Post
    You probably have to be an Aussie to get this but it's a pity there's not a FR24 feeder on Manus Island as there are likely to be some interesting flights out of there soon! Double pity - the island is not that far south of the FAA coverage limit either.
    nah not a lot of flights at all, they now likely to just open the gates ... either way none of those flights will be coming to Aus
    amazes me, they want to come here but they burn down their housing, destroy their amentities and run riot and still expect to come to our mostly civilised country... eff em.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Is that the island that was just found that the 'resort' wasnt so legal?

Wasnt SND1 servicing that anyways and turning transponder off?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X