Clear All

• bappleby
    replied
    Hi Steve,

Do you have any photos of your setup?

Leave a comment:

• T-YMEN3
    replied
    G'day All, thought I would say hi. I'm in high country Vic and have been running the FR24 box from my house on the side of a hill. Recently I have setup my FR24 box on the top of a hill at 420M ASL. I have 6 x 100 Amp deep cycle batteries (second hand) 500watts of solar and Wifi link. I did have the FR24 box setup on the hill previously but I just didn't have enough solar or battery to run it 24/7.

Cheers
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Avsec
    replied
    Originally posted by PhillWill View Post
    I'm a novice at this stuff so please excuse my ignorance. These SSM1 and SSM2 which are moving around the Sydney CBD are ground beacons. Why is it that they are constantly moving. Wouldn't a ground beacon be fixed. Thanks Phill.
    As far as I'm aware there are four radar test sites around Sydney, hexcodes 7CF7CA, CB, CC and CD and use callsigns SSM1, SSM2, SSM3 and SSM4. While they don't include their lat and lon in the transmission, FR24 through the MLAT process, will try to give a general location from where these test sites are located. From observation over a number of years their location has been pinpointed to Centre Point Tower, Kurrajong, Razorback and possibility Sydney Airport. Callsigns have been noted to change about on occasions. Why they are seem to be moving about boils down to which FR24 feeder is supplying FR24 with data and how accurate is the MLAT process.

I'm sure members with inside info will correct me if I have supplied bum information but as I said as far as I'm aware.

Leave a comment:

• airnrail
    replied
    Originally posted by PhillWill View Post
    I'm a novice at this stuff so please excuse my ignorance. These SSM1 and SSM2 which are moving around the Sydney CBD are ground beacons. Why is it that they are constantly moving. Wouldn't a ground beacon be fixed. Thanks Phill.
    There are people on here who know more about beacons than I and they may well reply to your query but I guess it comes down to an interpretation issue using data that is incomplete for rendering on FR24. Be aware though that certain aircraft can appear on FR24 over Sydney and other places that look the same as a beacon. On the day of the Martin Place siege there were real but unidentified aircraft over the Sydney CBD and the beacons were also visible - all of them looked alike. You can generally pick the aircraft by their more deliberate and repetitive tracks and sometimes by their varying altitude.

Leave a comment:

• PhillWill
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    It's not difficult and the forums are pretty helpful.. And you can always ask questions here or in the FB group...

Leave a comment:

• FLIP
    replied
    thanks, will download it and give it a try in the morning, i used to use planeplotter back in the days with the old feeder and rtl1090, so hopefully its as easy to setup

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Originally posted by FLIP View Post
    what are you using to feed in ? id rather a ui like that than what the current feeder gives me, even if i have to buy some parts.

have been feeding into fr24 for a while now, but my problem is as im very close to YPAD, not much of my data gets sent maybe a max of 10 ac an hour, as most of the time i see xx aircraft removed.
    Virtual Radar Server is decent and free: http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• FLIP
    replied
    Originally posted by rodeo View Post
    Yup all ground beacons - Mascot airport, Governor Phillip Tower in the CBD, MLC building in the city, ASA site up near Katoomba to name a few ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7574[/ATTACH]
    what are you using to feed in ? id rather a ui like that than what the current feeder gives me, even if i have to buy some parts.

have been feeding into fr24 for a while now, but my problem is as im very close to YPAD, not much of my data gets sent maybe a max of 10 ac an hour, as most of the time i see xx aircraft removed.

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    I don't expect anyone to join it, but was bored tonight and figured I'd create a FB group .. "Aussie Radar Feeders" http://www.facebook.com/groups/1543513139286552/

Leave a comment:

• rodeo
    replied
    Yup all ground beacons - Mascot airport, Governor Phillip Tower in the CBD, MLC building in the city, ASA site up near Katoomba to name a few ...

SSM2.jpg

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Beacons from another large AP?

Leave a comment:

• eastons
    replied
    Originally posted by fungus View Post
    Here in Sydney there are 4 of them, 7C7FCA, CB, CC and CD of which I pick up two of them permanently and one intermittently on my SBS-1 unit.

Do you know what 7CFFBC, BD and BF are?

SSM.png

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    Hey Kemistry,

Can I borrow your antenna to test at my location?

Leave a comment:

• bhaal
    replied
    It must be, as it's lost track of it for a while but I am still tracking it... I thought all this had been cleaned up......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X