Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
    You can buy your own kit now. It's called "Radarcape". It's the same type of hardware FR24 hardware is using.
    The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

All-in-one packages
    http://www.shop-modesbeast.com/
    Even then, the Radarcape with the Non-FR24 software on it is new - so we don't know how well it will work completely un-attended and what remote management capabilities it has - so it's not as simple as it appears.

I'd be tempted to apply to FR24 for one of their kits for the location (if someone can take photos in all directions from the antenna position now to go with the applicaton) and let them worry about managing it.

The kit might need someone there to perform simple tasks on request (power cycle the unit, box swaps if something goes wrong).

(I would also consider a lowly raspberry pi + dongle in a hardened case, should cost far less than the radarcape - mine runs 24/7 untouched for weeks at a time and a power cycle is all it would need to restart it ... the weak points are the SDcard, power supply and tuner stick.)
    Last edited by peterhr; 2013-12-14, 08:21.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
      You can buy your own kit now. It's called "Radarcape". It's the same type of hardware FR24 hardware is using.
      The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

All-in-one packages
      http://www.shop-modesbeast.com/
      Here is a video by Nic Storey demonstrating mainly the update of radarcape, but also shows some feature of radarcape for you to have a look. With the receiver alone and a web browser with no other softwares such as PP, ADSBscope etc, you can see aircrafts list, 2D and 3D on google map displayed on the web browser. So it's different than other products really.

Link: http://www.nicstorey.co.uk/planeplotter/radarcape

Comment

• the 2d display looks like an old version of dump1090 --net output...

Comment

• We have received an application from Lord Howe Island. We will see if we get a response to our "More info request" so we can send a receiver there

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
            We have received an application from Lord Howe Island. We will see if we get a response to our "More info request" so we can send a receiver there
            FYI, Lord Howe Island is about 600km east of Port Macquarie and is well place for trans-Pacific trafic in/out of Australia. It's part of the state of New South Wales.

Ray
            VK2TV

Comment

• Yehaa.. early warning to delays from BNE/OOL here we come
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• We had a relatively new feeder at Ayres Rock, F-YAYE1 and now we appear to have F-YAYE2 but no F-YAYE1. Same coverage so it's probably the same feeder but these feeder names do get stranger by the day.

Comment

• There are 2 F-feeders in Ayers Rock.

BTW, 7 new receivers are being prepared for shipping to AU within the next days.

Comment

There are 2 F-feeders in Ayers Rock.

BTW, 7 new receivers are being prepared for shipping to AU within the next days.
                    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrpjs3nk1zo93q9/fems-aus.PNG
                    Are we privy to where they will be installed?

Comment

There are 2 F-feeders in Ayers Rock.
                      I and I'm sure others here would be interested to understand why you would put another F receiver at Ayres Rock - one is great and very useful but it is a small regional airport with limited local traffic and the existing feeder (which does not now seem to be feeding) gave a very good coverage extending into WA and SA of passing long haul aircraft. I suppose there can never be too many feeders but I did think that these things were being issued primarily to extend coverage not duplicate it.

Comment

• Why are there 80 feeders in Manchester, 70 feeders in London, 60 feeders in Warsaw or 30 feeders in Sydney?

A receiver in a good location does not only cover the airport but also up to about 400 km around the airport.

Comment

Why are there 80 feeders in Manchester, 70 feeders in London, 60 feeders in Warsaw or 30 feeders in Sydney?

A receiver in a good location does not only cover the airport but also up to about 400 km around the airport.
                          I think this is a trite answer to a reasonable question. The feeders in those large cities are not all FR24 boxes and I'm talking about a situation in remote Australia where two FR24 boxes are apparently operating at virtually the same location judging by the ground coverage. On the one hand we are told that FR24 boxes are in short supply - understandably because they are expensive and you are deploying large numbers of them around the world. Accepting that statement at face value I then find it difficult to believe that there was not a more compelling application from Australia for a FR24 box at the time it was decided to place a second one at Ayres Rock. Make no mistake, this new feeder is doing a great job but so was the other one covering an almost identical area. If, however, you have enough boxes now available to enable such duplicate placements with a view to providing redundancy then please go ahead. I don't wish to discourage the new feeder in any way but I'm concerned about the first guy who has only been operating for a short time - where has he gone? Have we lost another good feeders just like that?

EDIT: F-YAYE1 just made a brief appearance - so he is still around in some shape or form.
                          Last edited by airnrail; 2013-12-19, 08:03. Reason: Update info

Comment

• I am YAYE1 in Ayers Rock and am not the owner for the YAYE2 feed, this feed was installed after my feed was demonstrated to various people. I know who the YAYE2 feeder is and it is correct in saying that they are only approx 100m from my location. I am happy with supplying the feed but some days concerned as my feed dosent seem to have any contacts displayed on the website. I know Im feeding as the stats show me but just not as much as YAYE2. Decisions are made for the coverage and I assume redundancy is the reason for another feeder in my location. Yes we are a regional airport but the passing traffic is why I got the feed up and running. I did notice that another ADS-B site had coverage for Royal Flying Doctor but FR24 did not, this is something I need to investigate.

Comment

• Why do I get the feeling that we're all gullible suckers? We spend good money to be good guys and provide a service, only to be stomped on by Big Brother whenever he feels fit to stomp. On top of that it seems impossible to get answers to very basic questions. We seem to be moved around like Pawns in a game of Chess.

Does anyone remember CDDB (CD DataBase) where volunteers provided data about CD's to a central database? Overnight CDDB decided that everyone would need a licence to access the material that had been freely given. I have this bad feeling that FR24 is heading the same way and I doubt that anyone from Big Brother will say anything to quell my suspicions.

Comment

• FR24 depends on the goodwill of the feeders to use their private or company internet connection and thier power to host the radars - whether they be T- or F- radars. This distributed source of data is the opposite of CDDB, if FR24 upset to many feeders by restricting access - I would expect many would just switch off as a matter of principle if they don't like what FR24 did (of course FR24 could ask for the kit to be sent back at FR24's expense)

Stomping by big brother - F- radars receivers out perform T- radar receivers and due to that and that alone take precedence on the FR24 page - we have to accept it (F- radars decode the signals in hardware, T- in software .. the F- radars are just so much quicker, they cost more and they get what they pay for *shrug*).

Flying Doctor ... Might the other service know the position by M-LAT (multiple receivers working out the position between them) - FR24 can do this but need a receivers working together to provide the info to do the math - presently this works in Europe and parts of North America.
                                Last edited by peterhr; 2013-12-19, 10:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X