No announcement yet.

Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great coverage of the Bight from Port Lincoln. Another feed from Esperance might just cover most of the southern routes.

Comment

• Originally posted by nomad77 View Post
      Great coverage of the Bight from Port Lincoln. Another feed from Esperance might just cover most of the southern routes.
      Hi All,

I thought I should pop in and say hello! My receiver is F-YPAD2... although I am not near Adelaide! :-)

I've had the FlightRadar24 supplied receiver installed for about a week and it's working well!

The receiver is located at Winter Hill overlooking Port Lincoln, around 230m ASL. The company I work for owns the communications site that I'm using. I also host an AIS receiver for www.marinetraffic.com and I have my amateur radio D-Star repeater and IRLP node there too! All for free!!

I currently have a single Mikrotik/Routerboard 5.8GHz link back to my home for the internet connection. This link provides connectivity back to home where I have two ADSL connections (two phone lines!), same ISP but each service uses a different DLSAM and backhaul. I love redundancy! My entire network system at home has 250 Ah gel battery backup. The comms site has a UPS for the rack, a UPS for the building and an 85 kVa generator.

http://vk5rex.squarespace.com is my D-Star repeater web site. In the gallery you will find photos of the comms site I am using... plus a lot of other amateur radio related stuff.

Another video at the VK5REX D-Star repeater site. This time on top of the building showing the 5.8GHz MikroTik wireless antenna, the 2m and 70cm transmit ant...

The ADS-B receive antenna is on top of the pole holding the VHF and UHF antennas (~1.45 into the video). Clear to the horizon around 360 degrees apart from where the tower blocks the view to the South.

Glad to be here!

Michael
      VK5ZEA

Comment

• Originally posted by lunokhod View Post
        Hi All,

I thought I should pop in and say hello! My receiver is F-YPAD2... although I am not near Adelaide! :-)

I've had the FlightRadar24 supplied receiver installed for about a week and it's working well!

The receiver is located at Winter Hill overlooking Port Lincoln, around 230m ASL. The company I work for owns the communications site that I'm using. I also host an AIS receiver for www.marinetraffic.com and I have my amateur radio D-Star repeater and IRLP node there too! All for free!!

I currently have a single Mikrotik/Routerboard 5.8GHz link back to my home for the internet connection. This link provides connectivity back to home where I have two ADSL connections (two phone lines!), same ISP but each service uses a different DLSAM and backhaul. I love redundancy! My entire network system at home has 250 Ah gel battery backup. The comms site has a UPS for the rack, a UPS for the building and an 85 kVa generator.

http://vk5rex.squarespace.com is my D-Star repeater web site. In the gallery you will find photos of the comms site I am using... plus a lot of other amateur radio related stuff.

Another video at the VK5REX D-Star repeater site. This time on top of the building showing the 5.8GHz MikroTik wireless antenna, the 2m and 70cm transmit ant...

The ADS-B receive antenna is on top of the pole holding the VHF and UHF antennas (~1.45 into the video). Clear to the horizon around 360 degrees apart from where the tower blocks the view to the South.

Glad to be here!

Michael
        VK5ZEA
        Your friend Ari in Iceland has a great location for an FR24 reciever - does he run one?

Comment

Hi All,

Glad to be here!

Michael
          VK5ZEA
          Hi Michael, and welcome to the Aussie Feeders thread. With your skills, you must be a mine of information. Your video was fantastic. I saw your feeds today and wondered where you were 'actually' located when I saw your feed drop out when a/c got close to YPAD.

I often wonder what coax cable is used up the side of the humongous towers and how they don't lose signal strength?

I see you have an interest in Iceland. A few years ago, I was there for three weeks in 'spring'...A very cold place. Is what surprised me most was the intense cold and very strong wind that blows across Iceland. I guess no land mass to shelter the place, certainly very few trees in all Iceland. People do not bother with umbrellas there, far to windy.

Regards
          Geoff

Comment

Hi All,

Hi Michael and welcome. Your setup sounds terrific and the coverage you're getting likewise. It's so good to finally be able to see planes over a good part of the Bight. Cheers. John.

Comment

• Just got my R820T tuners, eBay seller included 3 when I ordered 2. Nice but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with two spare... only need one Can probably do some other SDR based projects.

The R820T is amazing, much better than the E4000 tuners, increased my range by about 50%. Anyway, hope to make a proper antenna soon to boost it even more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Echo View Post
                Just got my R820T tuners, eBay seller included 3 when I ordered 2. Nice but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with two spare... only need one Can probably do some other SDR based projects.

The R820T is amazing, much better than the E4000 tuners, increased my range by about 50%. Anyway, hope to make a proper antenna soon to boost it even more.
                Excellent,
                One to run
                One to run in a rig to test the new antenna
                One to spare.

Comment

• Just happen to be looking on FR24 when I saw a new 'radar' sign. R274d? Aircraft just leaving BNE airport. This seems a new format See attached pic.
                  FR24 R274d.JPG

Comment

• Originally posted by POR911 View Post
                    Just happen to be looking on FR24 when I saw a new 'radar' sign. R274d? Aircraft just leaving BNE airport. This seems a new format See attached pic.
                    That could possibly be one of the new F feeders that hasnt yet been assigned a local code.

Regards,
                    Gregg
                    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• Hi Everyone,

I live in Sydney and I'm interested in contributing to the data for FR24 in Oz.

Locally, I live on the lower north shore and have a clear LoS to the blue mountains.

However, the main areas where I think I could be helpful are as follows:

We have a property in Point Lookout, NSW which is underneath some of the main flightpaths on the golden triangle:

I'm travelling to Lord Howe Island in February and I know some of the Locals. Having East and West facing ADS-B reception gear would dramatically increase reception of inbound pacific flights.

Could anyone advise on what gear is best for automated, remote reception stations?

Cheers,

Comment

• Originally posted by el_rooto View Post
                        Hi Everyone,

Locally, I live on the lower north shore and have a clear LoS to the blue mountains.

However, the main areas where I think I could be helpful are as follows:

We have a property in Point Lookout, NSW which is underneath some of the main flightpaths on the golden triangle:

I'm travelling to Lord Howe Island in February and I know some of the Locals. Having East and West facing ADS-B reception gear would dramatically increase reception of inbound pacific flights.

Could anyone advise on what gear is best for automated, remote reception stations?

Cheers,
                        FR24 do supply some kits with receiver, antenna, cables - see http://www.flightradar24.com/increase-coverage. Needs a mains supply + wired internet connection to a router.

The range is about 400km maximum but is line of sight and it helps (very very much) if the antenna is placed a mast where it's got good level views in all directions (no trees, hills, etc).

The kit is expensive - 500USD has been mentioned - so they are careful to send them where they are most effective.

Comment

• Hi All,

I'm new here; heaven forbid I've posted to the wrong place but if I have there's no point kicking my bum because it's already calloused from those before you!

I've just started feeding FR24 using RPi with DTV dongle (R820 rx) and dump1090. The antenna is a home made coaxial dipole currrently at about 4m and I'm seeing ac to near 300km (at 40000ft). My location is Kempsey, halfway between Sydney and Brisbane, a hole for aircraft below about 26000ft for both Sydney and Brisbane.

In Fr24, although I'm shown as on line local aircraft are not showing in FR24. Just watched an air ambulance head through here at 9000ft and no sign on FR24 once he fell off Williamtown - T-YWLM1. I read somewhere else in these forums about setting UTC on the Pi and this is done. However, when I log into my account the last data time is ahead of UTC by one hour. Any thoughts on that and the display problem?

Something I need to take up with support is I have been provided with the wrong ICAO code despite supplying them with the correct code. The issued code is F-YPMQ1 (Port Macquarie, about 40km away) instead of F-YKMP1 (Kempsey, under 8km away).

That'll do for starters.

Ray
                          VK2TV

Comment

• Originally posted by vk2tv View Post

Something I need to take up with support is I have been provided with the wrong ICAO code despite supplying them with the correct code. The issued code is F-YPMQ1 (Port Macquarie, about 40km away) instead of F-YKMP1 (Kempsey, under 8km away).

Ray
                            VK2TV
                            G'Day Ray and welcome. I'm not a feeder so can't help with the technical issues but I'm sure others here will jump in soon and help you out. That is a very good location for a feeder. Good luck with getting your ICAO code changed - it has been recently the subject of much discussion here. There is a guy in Toowoomba with a Brisbane code, another at Warra with a Sunshine Coast code and one at Bairnsdale in Vic whose code is Albury NSW. There is also another in SA with an Adelaide code that is actually at Moomba but that one just might be a case of a relocated feeder. FR24 are reluctant to change any of them. Cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by airnrail View Post
                              G'Day Ray and welcome. I'm not a feeder so can't help with the technical issues but I'm sure others here will jump in soon and help you out. That is a very good location for a feeder. Good luck with getting your ICAO code changed - it has been recently the subject of much discussion here. There is a guy in Toowoomba with a Brisbane code, another at Warra with a Sunshine Coast code and one at Bairnsdale in Vic whose code is Albury NSW. There is also another in SA with an Adelaide code that is actually at Moomba but that one just might be a case of a relocated feeder. FR24 are reluctant to change any of them. Cheers.
                              Thanks airnrail. I think there was a need for a rx here. I see a easonable amount of traffic well below about 25000ft that FR24 doesn't know about. RexAir freight, Air Ambulance and RFDS are just three, not to mention commercial flights into Port macquarie and Coffs harbour that fall below the radar, so to speak. Saw a Careflight chopper run Coffs to Westmead just a couple of weks ago. Yes, I think I can help improve the picture.

I had a funny feeling about the ICAO code but it seems strange that they ask and ignore. Still, it's getting aircraft on the screen that counts more than the ICAO code.

I'll await input from others.

Ray
                              VK2TV

Comment

• Originally posted by el_rooto View Post
                                Hi Everyone,

You can buy your own kit now. It's called "Radarcape". It's the same type of hardware FR24 hardware is using.
                                The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

All-in-one packages
                                Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
                                [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Working...
                                X