Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airnrail
    replied
    You see some weird stuff on FR24 as regards feeders. Some time ago there was a new feeder, T-YBKE1, that appeared at Bourke in north-west NSW. It vanished after a few months which was a pity because it did a pretty good job out in that remote corner. Lo and behold early this week it was showing up as tracking a lighty around Byron Bay! One explanation would be that the host has relocated to the coast and fired up the receiver as though it was still in Bourke. Another would be that it's just a FR24 processing glitch. It was only visible for about 10 minutes and I've not seen it since. Who knows?

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    The other lot still shows as estimated with similar locations. And checking track attributes said estimate to whatever AUS ATC is (which could be HFcars/Sat)

/edit

And the last portion of each track basically blinks as it refreshes a darker purple than the 'real' coverage area..
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2018-03-03, 09:01.

Leave a comment:

• fungus
    replied
    Peter,

Yes mate, looks to be just a case of us aussies catching up with old news. Nothing's changed, always the last to know.

Seems there's a few FR24 glitches at present. My stats haven't shown correctly since last November and they're still scratching their ball... oops, heads over that in support. I'm currently 530/550 on the aussie radar list and rapidly approaching the bottom. Wonder what the wooden spoon looks like?

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
    There was also a T-EST which was EST(timated) position for some time. It may just be labeling wrongly now (more move away from alias use)
    Haven't seen that alias in some time. Seems a fair assessment.

At present some flights are showing 'correctly' (with the dashed lines) whilst others are not. Something of a lottery.

Regards,
    Gregg

Update: It seems once a flight is covered by an Aussie receiver the track immediately changes from a solid line (darker purple) to dashed black line and the FIR changes to the correct area.

FJI915.jpg This flight was showing under NADI FIR with a Fiji radar code in this location until picked up by T-YPEC4.
    Last edited by fungus; 2018-03-03, 11:26. Reason: updated info.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    There was also a T-EST which was EST(timated) position for some time. It may just be labeling wrongly now (more move away from alias use)

Leave a comment:

• ylis
    replied
    Must be a glitch - PAO856 is between Port Macquarie and Lord Howe Island - but showing the FIR/UIR is Nadi and QF4 is southeast of New Caledonia showing Oakland Centre.

Also multiple flights are squawking 2000

Leave a comment:

• ylis
    replied
    A similar post on another thread : https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...l=1#post102485

Leave a comment:

• fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by nomad77 View Post
    I see that its basic position information, groundspeed is probably being calculated which does suggest that its coming from a Sat feed.
    Certainly great coverage if its true.

Looks a bit like a Glitch
    Nomad77,

I think you're more correct re calculated positions than my assumptions as on watching the tracks they are straight just like the previous dotted lines and not following the expected great circle routes. I've flown across the Tasman in Flt Sim (I'll get my hand slapped for that piece of info) and it necessitates altering track frequently. One certainly doesn't fly straight lines.

Perhaps some one simply forgot to add the dots to the calculated paths at FR24 HQ today. PAO856 (and other aircraft) is coming into SYD from Apia with the same track pattern we're seeing across to NZ.

Having said all that, aircraft flying across the bite are showing the usual dotted track. So....

Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2018-03-03, 07:48.

Leave a comment:

• nomad77
    replied
    Originally posted by ylis View Post
    Is anyone else noticing a lot more aircraft traffic over the ocean area between NZ, New Caledonia and the east coast of Australia today? Routes that were previously dotted lines / estimated positions are now solid reports - with some tagged feeder IDs over 750nm from their 'home airport locations'. At first I thought a new feeder must have been activated on Norfolk Island, but a number of different feeder codes are being shown.

Or has something new been added to FR24 ?

Peter
    I see that its basic position information, groundspeed is probably being calculated which does suggest that its coming from a Sat feed.
    Certainly great coverage if its true.

Looks a bit like a Glitch
    Last edited by nomad77; 2018-03-03, 07:21.

Leave a comment:

• fungus
    replied
    Is anyone else noticing a lot more aircraft traffic over the ocean area between NZ, New Caledonia and the east coast of Australia today? Routes that were previously dotted lines / estimated positions are now solid reports - with some tagged feeder IDs over 750nm from their 'home airport locations'. At first I thought a new feeder must have been activated on Norfolk Island, but a number of different feeder codes are being shown.

Peter
    Delcomp spent years trying to talk me into manning a rowboat out in the Tasman. Perhaps he's managed to get one up and running before I could.

Looks like Oblivian is correct and they've managed a sat feed and it's just hanging on to the last received (bogus?) alias. Thanks for the alert, hadn't noticed it.

Perhaps they're tapping into acars position reports. Whatever the reason, the map looks a tad more professional.

Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2018-03-03, 07:26.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied

Peter
    Probably got proper satellite feed input now

THat said, a recent statement pretty much blew the idea of aliases out of the water even more.

If you know your database usage, this will make more sense.

Stating there is a table array for displaying aircraft at any one time, produced live from all the different sources of data it's receiving. And it's not a single line record from any one supplier, but a mixture of the sources to make the array complete

So the alias, is quite likely totally wrong/random/incorrect in 99% of the cases

Leave a comment:

• ylis
    replied

Peter

Leave a comment:

• PiRad108
    replied
    Originally posted by airnrail View Post
    New feeder at Geelong Airport?

Noticed today there is a new FR24 feeder with the code F-YGLG1. Victorian spotters might know differently but I don't think Geelong airport any longer exists and therefore YGLG is probably not a valid airport code. I guess it's not much different to T-YPOR1 for Portland which I think should be T-YPOD1. Anyway welcome and well done to the feeder who is hosting F-YGLG1.
    Interesting point, I imagine it is more about the location of the feeder as FR uses radar like codes, in reality FR could use numbers but the codes used for the feeders adds an element of interest.

Leave a comment:

• airnrail
    replied
    New feeder at Geelong Airport?

Noticed today there is a new FR24 feeder with the code F-YGLG1. Victorian spotters might know differently but I don't think Geelong airport any longer exists and therefore YGLG is probably not a valid airport code. I guess it's not much different to T-YPOR1 for Portland which I think should be T-YPOD1. Anyway welcome and well done to the feeder who is hosting F-YGLG1.

Leave a comment:

• PiRad108
    replied
    Well my coco is all taped up and in a conduit in the air just waiting until Monday when I can get some mcx connectors to plug it into the dongle. So what length did you cut the supplied antenna too ? I measured mine and calculated it to be a 1/4 wavelength.

Leave a comment:

• FLIP
    replied
    Originally posted by PiRad108 View Post
    Hello eveyone,

Just received my ADS-B dongle a couple of days ago, I am running it at Northgate about 8 kms from the Brisbane airport. I am just using the supplied internal antenna. I have started researching antennas and am looking at my first built antenna being a colineal coax using RG6 with a 16 element array. As you may have guessed from the name I ran raspberry pi's, I am reasonably competent with Linux operating systems having made the transition about 12 years ago and never looked back. I will probably post a few pics of planes at Brisbane airport also. As the ATC's say gedday.
    the supplied antenna that comes with the dongles isnt really optimized for adsb although it does work, i just trimmed mine down to the correct size but didnt notice much of a difference (am about 5km from YPAD)
    built myself the spider (non solder version) for under AUD$20, and stuck it to my old tripod and placed it on the carport roof, and it worked much better.

going to attempt the colinier next, but for some reason avoided the coketenna and cantenna

Leave a comment:

Working...
X