Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux feeder software for Flightradar24 (Old software)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dump1090 will give you the map you desire = just point it at http://IP-address-of-Pi:8080 - I suspect you could embed that in a web page

The security issue is about hosting any service on the web, people<<<<<<< robots will start probing it to see if there is a weakness

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
      Oh my, that opens a nest of snakes.
      You need some way to enable an SSH connection port 22, usually easy enough to do with a port forwarding rule on the remote router - but then you have to worry about the IP address of the remote connection, many domestic Internet connections have a dynamic address issued from the ISP switch up the road. Dynamic DNS can help track changes on this. Then there's the question of if the ISP blocks incoming access on port 22. and the threat that someone will attack the equipment. As soon as you put a server (which this would be) on the web, the robot programs of the hackers start to attack it to find weaknesses they can exploit. This isn't kids - it's business and the attacks don't come from home PC's, they come from servers in the cloud (amazon cloud, etc) ... so you need to restrict that port 22 access so it's only accessible from you (or the network range of your local ISP switch) ... or install a VPN ... a lot of routers have the ability built in.
      Nothing is easy trying to do it securely.
      All good points, luckily my career in IT networks and security has that all sorted

I've even managed to get that script and the changes to crontab to work, so my Linux skills are improving

Comment

• Originally posted by ferran View Post
        The security seems to be a great headache!!! My purpose is doing something like 41south is saying, but do you think it's a bit tricky for someone who has just started to use linux? I just create a local web with some information and links but I'm thinking to feed data in a interactive way too. To create a local map of the aircrafts which pass above my area... Could you recommend me some tutorials for the security of the raspberry pi¿? Thank you!
        The security bit has little to do with Linux - you would run into the same problems if you wanted to open port 3389 on a Windows PC to the internet to allow remote console access (RDP). The problem is with trying to only allow people in you know. Windows does have the windows firewall that you can configure with rules only to allow certain connections from certain locations - Linux the kernel does have a built in firewall which you can configure by use of iptables (do a google) ... just be careful you don't lock your own access out that you are using to configure the machine or you will need to plug a screen an keyboard in to the machine itself to undo the blocks.

Originally posted by 41south View Post
        All good points, luckily my career in IT networks and security has that all sorted

I've even managed to get that script and the changes to crontab to work, so my Linux skills are improving
        Excellent, share it - so the next person will know what to do if they need it.

I think the biggest issue people have had with the Pi setup in the past is not in building it, but in the scripts to make the applications work ... and they can be so simple.

The linux operating systems are usually really solid, they don't present the attack profile of windows (not as many systems, not so bloated with functionality that no-one uses) - so less hackers attack them and they need less security patching.

Off Topic but something to think about ... Windows XP and Office 2003: The End
        Microsoft de-supports Windows XP and Office 2003 in April of next year. There will be no further security patches for either product. This means that each new security patch for Windows 7 and 8 will potentially create a new “zero day” exploit for XP as the virus writers reverse engineer each patch and test whether XP is vulnerable.

Of course prior versions are already in this state.

Of course if you just use that old PC for web browsing, word processing and spreadsheets you could always create an Ubuntu boot CD and try it out running off the CD (it's free and does't affect your windows unless you actually install it)
        Last edited by peterhr; 2013-08-29, 06:48.

Comment

• Originally posted by 41south View Post
          Thanks again for that info, I'm going to add those scripts here today. When running FR24 to /dev/null is it still possible to log onto a terminal session via ssh and watch the data? (not a Linux person I'm afraid - but learning slowly )

update: just did a bit of Google and perhaps there isn't a 'nice' way of doing that.
          You actually can — just redirect the output to a file instead of the /dev/null, then use "tail -f" to read the file and watch the information flow in.

If you're using an RPi, then constantly writing to a file will wear out your SD card before time. In that case you could set up a ramdisk and keep the file on it. Of course, it will be lost when you reboot your RPi.
          I don't know about RPi (don't have one), but on Ubuntu systems ramdisk is already there at /dev/shm. For other systems it can be easily created with a couple of commands.

Comment

• Great idea x-f, thanks I'll do some research on that.
            Last edited by 41south; 2013-08-29, 21:20.

Comment

• This may be slightly off-topic; has anyone looked at/tried/succeeded in getting a 3G network dongle to work with a Pi? Again, I'm looking at remote installation possibilities so just wondering if it's possible - in particular with Raspian?

Comment

• Thank you! I will try this and follow all your advices to get what I want!

Comment

• Redirecting output to /tmp/something is easier ... on the Pi /tmp is in memory so there is no need to do ramdisk setup. Do this with the output of the fr24feed program only. Dump1090 logs about 1MB a minute and the output would fill memory quickly.
                  Sorry thought I'd responded much earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by mindlesstux View Post
                    When I am done tinkering with the code I'll push my changes into a fork of dump1090 and make a pull request to the owner.
                    Hi Mindlesstux,

Just wondering if you had done tinkering with the code yet? I cannot find your fork of dump1090 on github, is it available yet?

I love the antenna coverage on the map display and the latest message at the bottom of the screen. Is this something available to us plebs yet?

Comment

• Fellow Forumites,

Firstly: Sorry if not in the exact right thread. I am using dump1090 on linux (RasPi). It works fine, but....

Please look at this image.
                      seenAC.JPG

Since I am new to this, I -really- want to know WHY am I not able to get positions on those planes? I got the hex code, where is the rest?
                      Is the position, speed, etc not all part of a standardized ADS-B packet?
                      Yes, its a good signal, plane is close. Yes, I have used another setup (windows based) and getting the same results. (see below)

seenwin.JPG

Speaking to a friend with a RadarBox setup - they are not getting this, they have info on all the planes they pick up. So either I messed something up, or missed something I should've done.

Please share your wisdom, Collective of radar spotters.
                      Last edited by HermanZA; 2013-09-18, 15:21.

Comment

• If you look at my dump1090 (link below, on the Pi now) you will see some flights with full info and some with lots missing just like you are seeing.

The Flights 'BEE...' are Flybe and their speed and position is not transmitted by the aircraft, it is determined by MLAT (Multi-lateration) - involves several ground stations working together

On others partial data may have been receive or they might not be transmitting their callsign - you can look up the ICAO codes here http://www.airframes.org/

Comment

• So, although the AC is ADS-B equipped, some of them are simply not broadcasting the complete data-set as some others are doing? Leaving us with a HEX code, but not much more to plot it?
                          Nothing much we can do about it, not even a local db (with ICAO, Model, type, etc) will solve that?

Comment

• Taken from http://www.sea-avionics.com/faq_sear...architem=ads-b
                            In relation to the transponder technology, a squawk refers to a response that a transmitter responder (i.e. transponder) is making to an interrogation from Air Traffic Control (ATC). In a classic Mode A/C transponder, a squawk response included very basic aircraft ID, general status, and pressure altitude information.

So these are the transmissions with little info ... older / cheaper technology ... and you can probably identify the aircraft from a database but you won't know where it is unless you are able to triangulate it's position (What M-LAT is doing)
                            A squitter or squit is a transmission that frequently sends aircraft ID and position data while not being interrogated. In some Mode S transponders and ADS-B devices, the squit transmission can include up to almost 50 parameters including lat/long position, direction of flight, velocity, and more.

This is what ADS-B is about.

These questions are definitely off topic here - maybe they should have been a new thread elsewhere in the forum space.
                            Last edited by peterhr; 2013-09-19, 06:12. Reason: correcting BBcode

Comment

• fr24feed stops working

Hi,

I'm just experimenting with the fr24feed on a beaglebone (radarcape)
                              The used feeder-SW is fr24feed_arm-le_233s

Startup-script:
                              export FR24AUTHIP=83.140.247.20
                              echo "start fr24"
                              /home/root/fr24feed/fr24feed_arm-le_233s --fr24key=(my-fr24-key)

The result:
                              The feeder works for 10....15minutes and stops working after ping-problems:

[i]sent 65 planes in 2 packets
                              [i]sent 64 planes in 2 packets
                              [n]pinging the server
                              [i]sent 66 planes in 2 packets
                              [i]sent 60 planes in 2 packets
                              [i]sent 59 planes in 2 packets
                              [i]sent 64 planes in 2 packets
                              [i]sent 63 planes in 2 packets
                              [i]sent 61 planes in 2 packets
                              [i]sent 60 planes in 2 packets
                              [i]sent 67 planes in 2 packets
                              [n]pinging the server
                              [n]disconnected
                              [n]waiting 9 seconds
                              [n]EDDN1@australia.fr24.com:8099/UDP
                              [n]connecting
                              Segmentation fault

port 8099 is configured correct at the router.
                              The internet-connection is a stable DSL-connection.
                              ping time to 83.140.247.20 is abt 90ms

How can I avoid these repeated disconnections?
                              I don't like to monitor and restart the system.

Regards,
                              netbees - T-EDDN1

Comment

• It's not much help, but I had this working on a Beaglebone Black (running wheezy & dump1090) with no problem ... only restarted when my cron job restarted it every 6 hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X