Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux feeder software for Flightradar24 (Old software)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nah,, this is more than likely just the feeder. Please consider switching to the new decoder/feeder as this one will be phased out soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by piopawlu View Post
      Nah,, this is more than likely just the feeder. Please consider switching to the new decoder/feeder as this one will be phased out soon.
      Sorry to be a pain, but could you point me in the right direction for the new decoder/feeder?
      Last edited by EGGD11; 2014-12-22, 22:13.
      T-EGGD11 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi2 + Dump1090, FR24, PF. Cantena 248Mi 0ft ASL
      T-EGGD21 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090, FR24, PF. Home made COCO 257Mi 600ft ASL

Comment

• Originally posted by EGGD11 View Post
        Sorry to be a pain, but could you point me in the right direction for the new decoder/feeder?
        here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...RPi-Linux-OSX)
        For official support use Contact Form

Comment

• and here for your Pi http://feed.flightradar24.com/raspberry-pi/
          Regards,
          T-EDDE7

Debian 8 Server | jetvision ADS-B USB Dongle | ADS-B Collinear Antenna
          Banana Pi | Mystique SDR R820T2 | stock Antenna

Comment

• hi all hoping for some help. I seem to have downloaded latest feeder for my pi etc and run service feeder status to see whats going on. I get "receiver down" failed message. My dongle is connected correctly. Any ideas appreciated

Comment

• Try the new feeder software. This is going to be retired.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen P View Post
                hi all hoping for some help. I seem to have downloaded latest feeder for my pi etc and run service feeder status to see whats going on. I get "receiver down" failed message. My dongle is connected correctly. Any ideas appreciated
                what does the log say? I assume you are redirecting to a file on startup, once you start it , it should log something.

if you dont start with output redirected to a log, start it manually and watch for errors...

Comment

• I have a Pi running Piaware (FlightAware). I am trying to get the Pi to feed to FlightRadar24 as well. I'm running '/usr/bin/fr24feed_arm-le_242s --fr24key=mysharingkey'. It runs fine from the command line, but when I add that line to /etc/rc.local it fails to start. I didn't install fr24feed_1.0.10-6_armhf.deb because I don't want it to install dump1090, which I already have installed and configured. Can you suggest a way to get this started at boot time? Thanks.

Edit: It's working. I was redirecting the output of the command to /dev/null and apparently it didn't like ">/dev/null 2>&1" but it's OK with "> /dev/null &".
                  Last edited by jepolch; 2015-01-14, 00:48.

Comment

• Originally posted by jepolch View Post
                    Edit: It's working. I was redirecting the output of the command to /dev/null and apparently it didn't like ">/dev/null 2>&1" but it's OK with "> /dev/null &".
                    you forgot the ampersand on your original. this should work, in fact even without ampersand probably was still working
                    /usr/bin/fr24feed_arm-le_242s --fr24key=mysharingkey > /dev/null 2>&1 &

program > /dev/null (send output of program to null)
                    2>&1 (send standard error (2) to standard out (1) - you wont see anything because your already directing to null)
                    & (background it)

also good idea to run it with nohup,
                    nohup /usr/bin/fr24feed_arm-le_242s --fr24key=mysharingkey > /dev/null 2>&1 &

even get funky and create a pid file to make sure its running

frpid=$!
                    echo $frpid > /var/run/fr24.pid

then some cron job to read the pid file and check the PID number exists, else restart/email/sms/whatever

Comment

• Originally posted by Ressy View Post
                      you forgot the ampersand on your original. this should work, in fact even without ampersand probably was still working
                      /usr/bin/fr24feed_arm-le_242s --fr24key=mysharingkey > /dev/null 2>&1 &

program > /dev/null (send output of program to null)
                      2>&1 (send standard error (2) to standard out (1) - you wont see anything because your already directing to null)
                      & (background it)

also good idea to run it with nohup,

even get funky and create a pid file to make sure its running

frpid=$!
                      echo $frpid > /var/run/fr24.pid

then some cron job to read the pid file and check the PID number exists, else restart/email/sms/whatever
                      Thanks, great info. I added the "&" and redirected output to /var/log/fr24feed and all's well. I have another problem, though. After I restarted the Pi, dump1090 hadn't started, although fr24feed_arm-le_242s did start. I hadn't had a problem with dump1090 starting at boot since until I added the line to start fr24feed_arm-le_242s in /etc/rc.local. dump1909 starts with a FlightAware script called /etc/init.d/fadump1090.sh. Unfortunately, dump1090 isn't configured to log, so I don't know anything about why it didn't start. Any ideas?

Comment

• what happens when you run fadump1090.sh start manually?

if it doesnt run and display any error, run it manually /path/to/dump1090 --net --interactive

If you have Malcolm Robbs version of dump1090 and it's the latest version, you could backup your existing init file, and then edit the version that starts at run time to

/path/to/dump1090 <your existing options> --quiet --stats-every 3600 >> /var/log/adsb/dump1090.log 2>&1 < /dev/null &

then reboot the pi and check that log file for any hints.

Note: once you get it working, you might want to adjust the stats every 3600, to maybe every 86400
                        I use every hour, but thats running on a linux HP server, so disk space is pretty much endless well, endless towards a TB

if all that starts before rc.local as it should, the problem cant be what you've added for fr24, since that should all be already running, but you might find fr24 needs restarting if dump1090 dies, cant remember if it re-finds it eventually on its own.

Comment

• Thanks for the suggestions. I can't explain it, but I just did a reboot and everything came up perfectly. Maybe yesterday was just a glitch. One thing I forgot to mention is that Piaware checks for dump1090 and if it's not running within five minutes it will start it up. So even if it doesn't start on boot it will get started within five minutes. This is good enough for me. So the little Pi is feeding Flightradar24 and FlightAware. dump1090 is running 45% of CPU whereas before I installed FR24 it was running about 35%. I don't know which fork of dump1090 is provided by FlightAware. The version is 1.09.0608.14. I am going to try your suggestion to create a log file.

Comment

• Originally posted by jepolch View Post
                            Thanks for the suggestions. I can't explain it, but I just did a reboot and everything came up perfectly. Maybe yesterday was just a glitch. One thing I forgot to mention is that Piaware checks for dump1090 and if it's not running within five minutes it will start it up. So even if it doesn't start on boot it will get started within five minutes. This is good enough for me. So the little Pi is feeding Flightradar24 and FlightAware. dump1090 is running 45% of CPU whereas before I installed FR24 it was running about 35%. I don't know which fork of dump1090 is provided by FlightAware. The version is 1.09.0608.14. I am going to try your suggestion to create a log file.
                            No worries, but you will have problems though if that occurs with fr24.
                            I noticed this once ages ago and thought by now it be fixed, so I just killed off dump1090 for 60 seconds and restarted it, over 5 mins ago, the feed status says Radar: T-YBBN30 Status: Offline. Seems it does not retry talking to the host/port, it just sits there dead. So you may have to modify your script to restart fr24 as well.
                            Last edited by Ressy; 2015-01-15, 00:02. Reason: edited it turned my host port separator into a smiley lol

Comment

• I did a test by killing dump1090. After six minutes (apparently that's the threshhold, not five minutes) it started the program. From the Piaware log:
                              01/15/2015 01:12:48 no ADS-B producer program seen for 599 seconds, trying to start it...
                              01/15/2015 01:12:48 warning, more than one dump1090 script in /etc/init.d, proceeding with '/etc/init.d/fadump1090.sh.ori'...
                              01/15/2015 01:12:48 attempting to start dump1090 using '/etc/init.d/fadump1090.sh.ori start'...
                              Starting dump1090 server: dump1090001/15/2015 01:12:49 dump1090 start appears to have been successful
                              01/15/2015 01:13:19 144989 msgs recv'd from dump1090 (0 in last 5m); 144118 msgs sent to FlightAware
                              01/15/2015 01:13:27 ADS-B data program 'dump1090' is listening on port 30005, so far so good
                              01/15/2015 01:13:27 i see dump1090 serving on port 10001
                              01/15/2015 01:13:27 connecting to dump1090 on port 10001...
                              01/15/2015 01:13:27 piaware is connected to dump1090 on port 10001
                              I'm glad I did that test. I found out that Piaware will start dump1090 using the start script of its choice! You see where it used my backup of fadump1090.sh to start the program. Fortunately, there's nothing very different in it than in my production script, but I guess I will have to keep my backup script somewhere else than in /etc/init.d/

Anyway, after dump1090 started, FR24 began feeding again, too. From the FR24feed log:
                              [e]could not connect to BS
                              [i]waiting 5 seconds
                              [i]Source defined as Basestation
                              [b]connecting to 192.168.1.2:30003
                              [b]connected
                              [b]working
                              [n]pinging the server
                              [i]sent 6 planes in 1 packets

Comment

• interesting, it fails here, but I'm not using a pi, though that shouldnt matter ... ahh well glad its all sorted

Comment

Working...
                                X