Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux feeder software for Flightradar24 (Old software)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indeed what I have. Well... holidays are coming, might keep me busy for a day to attempt a few and get a proper one. The other holiday project I gave myself, is a rather expensive one.

Comment

• Possible Bug

Hi folks,

Since i registered as a new feeder, i was experimenting with the hardware and right now i´m running an old P3 with debian Linux, dump1090 and fr24 feeder for Linux.
      I´m having some trouble with the feeder in a low traffic situation. There are periods of the day that there is no traffic for some minutes, even hours, in the range of my antena. The feeder just start issuing messages like "[n] Ping #" and "[i] Removed # of # AC". When dump1090 acquire new valid signals, the feeder do not recover itself. It´s look like a loop. So i have to restart the program to resume feeding.
      I tried the "--selfkill" command but, in all tests so far, it did not kill the program. The timer seems to be reset when new data came in.
      So, right now, i do not know what to do.

Marcelo (T-SBFC2).

Comment

• On the Raspberry Pi, I have a cron job that kills dump1090 & FR24 feed every 6 hours - then restarts them, this is done just in case the programs go wrong and do stop working (admitted - I was more expecting something like a memory leak and the programs to grow until they no longer fitted the available memory).

The Pi runs a Debian version called Wheezy - have a look at the first few post in this thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24.

There is a link to a shared drive area in post #8, where there is a shell scrip to start / restart dump1090 & the feed and a dock saying what to do to install on the Pi ... most of that should adapt easily

There is a similar thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-FR24-(Wheezy) that talks about extra work to get the Pi setup to work on the Beaglebone Black ... that might be worth a look too since some of the utility programs used on the Pi were not loaded by default on the BBB and had to be added.

The Raspberry Pi uses very little power so is economical to leave on 24/7

Central southern Brasil - welcome aboard
        Last edited by peterhr; 2013-12-07, 07:56.

Comment

• Thanks peterhr,

I already read the earlier posts. But the problem seems different.
          Yes, i am running Debian Wheezy.
          But, this behaviour is triggered in a low traffic situation. So i cannot predict when to kill the program. The script you suggested assumed a 6 hour basis to kill the program, but in my tests it could be triggered after 15 min. or 8 hours working.
          There must be a reason that make the program stops sending data after a period that it not receives valid data from dump1090.
          Do anyone knows if it´s possible to detect those messages from stdout. Maybe a script to monitor that messages.

Thanks,
          Marcelo (T-SBFC2)

Comment

• Originally posted by FRC View Post
            Thanks peterhr,

I already read the earlier posts. But the problem seems different.
            Yes, i am running Debian Wheezy.
            But, this behaviour is triggered in a low traffic situation. So i cannot predict when to kill the program. The script you suggested assumed a 6 hour basis to kill the program, but in my tests it could be triggered after 15 min. or 8 hours working.
            There must be a reason that make the program stops sending data after a period that it not receives valid data from dump1090.
            Do anyone knows if it´s possible to detect those messages from stdout. Maybe a script to monitor that messages.

Thanks,
            Marcelo (T-SBFC2)
            The dump1090 restart takes just a second or two, if there are aircraft in range, you'll pick them up again. The FR24 feed software seems tolerant of dump1090 vanishing and coming back.

You may have a power problem leading to the dongle freezing or sending bad data making dump1090 fail - other people have had that problem ... but you are on an old Pentium 3, not a Pi ... maybe try some other USB sockets for the dongle to see if they work better.

Comment

• Dump1090 and dongle are working just fine. As i told, the problem is the feeder software.
              I am monitoring with ADSBscope and dump1090 and dongle are working properly. I compared what i´ve got with flightradar24.com.

They are not freezing.

The problem is with the feeder software itself. It just get lost after a low traffic condition (no aircraft in the area or no valid positioning information from dump1090 (aircrafts with just Mode-S))

Marcelo (T-SBFC2).

Comment

• don't know - sorry.

Comment

• i'm new to this form but been feeder for nearly 1 yr.
                  i have a problem regarding the feeder connection
                  does anyone know, is there a possible to feed through TCP but not UDP. Currently i'm behind office firewall blocking UDP. I feeding through my broadband modem..
                  maybe Mike could design new feeder client for those who need TCP connection.
                  regards

Comment

• What would be a good distro to build on? After my Pi died, I'm now thinking of building a little PC to do the same. Shall I go with Debian 7.3.0 ?
                    Last edited by HermanZA; 2014-01-05, 20:49.

Comment

• Ubuntu?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ubuntu 12.04 ?

Comment

• Good question, easier if it doesn't have drivers for the tuner dongle in the kernel 12.04 should be ok

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Installed Ubuntu desktop 12.04 on an old PC. Manually added SSH to the box. Followed the well-known tutorial PeterHR compiled, with the exception that I took the fr24feed_x86_233 feeder package. All seems to be working fine. Where I had CPU usage of around 37% on the PI, I am now at idle 8%
                            Conclusion: Ubuntu can be successfully used to feed to our beloved FR24 network !
                            PS: PeterHR, would it be possible to direct message you somewhere? Have something off-topic I want to run past you.
                            Last edited by HermanZA; 2014-01-06, 19:51.

Comment

• Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
                              Installed Ubuntu desktop 12.04 on an old PC. Manually added SSH to the box. Followed the well-known tutorial PeterHR compiled, with the exception that I took the fr24feed_x86_233 feeder package. All seems to be working fine. Where I had CPU usage of around 37% on the PI, I am now at idle 8%
                              Conclusion: Ubuntu can be successfully used to feed to our beloved FR24 network !
                              PS: PeterHR, would it be possible to direct message you somewhere? Have something off-topic I want to run past you.
                              Only problem is you have the power consumption of a PC.

Was the Pi your first Linux project? - If it was well done, you have achieved the secondary objective of removing the FUD (fear. uncertainty and distrust) and have demystifying Linux

Oh but for a private message facility...
                              but I am a site admin at riubambu.com/phpBB2 and that does PMs

Comment

• PeterHR,
                                Not 1st project, work with a few RHEL boxes. What always annoyed me with any *nix, when you run into a problem and Google it, you do find the solution, and more often than not, did the format or syntax of the solution, change or evolve or got replaced with something newer. And also never have enough uninterrupted time to sit and learn and play with it.
                                I tried that site, it does not like my registration. I amended it to my signature on here, I am sure you will find it hidden there

Comment

Working...
                                X