Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux feeder software for Flightradar24 (Old software)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It looks like 233s just stops sending packets eventually - circa 2 days running - without any error messages. Pings are still going but no data packets being sent. I've gone back to 225s to see how that performs.

Comment

• I just have a cron job that stops then restarts dump1090 and FR24 every 6 hours or so, gives maybe 5s of downtime (and am using 225s)

Comment

• Yeah it looks like that could be a good idea. One of the things I really like about 225 is that it shows that it's sending no data (sent 0 planes in 0 packets), so at least you know it's active even if there is nothing to send.

Comment

• Hi, I can't start the fr24 feeding software like a startup init.d file. How have you done the cron job? I'm new in linux!!!
          I would be very greatful if you explain me.
          You both recommends me the 225 version of the software? Because I'm using the 233 statical one.
          Thanks!

Comment

• Hi,
            you can simply add to rc.local after fi and before exit 0

export FR24AUTHIP=83.140.247.20;
            cd /home/pi/fr24feed/
            ./fr24feed_arm-le_233s --fr24key=**********

But you have to correct the directory of location of fr24feed_arm-le_233s
            F-UAAR1 T-UAAR3

Comment

• Lots of thanks Dauren!!! I was trying to initialize in another way but this is the better option!!!

Comment

• I've found I don't need the inet.d scripts to start dump1090 / FR24 feed as services - I could just run them from a simple user mode script, then fix cron to start it at boot and restart every 6 hours (does take the radar down for a few seconds)

I just setup a script /home/pi/fr24.sh with the following content
                Code:
                #!/bin/bash
                #
                #make sure fr24feed and dump1090 software are not running
                #
                killall fr24feed_arm-le_233s
                killall dump1090
                #
                #start dump1090 – we don’t want output so throw it into a black hole (the null device)
                #the symbol at the end of the line says don’t wait for this to finish, just move
                #onto  the next command (note dump 1090 needs to run the dump1090  folder
                #for the built in web page to work)
                #
                cd /home/pi/dump1090
                /home/pi/dump1090/dump1090 --net --net-sbs-port 30003 --quiet > /dev/null &
                cd ~
                #
                #start the fr24 feeder(use you own key)
                #
                export FR24AUTHIP=83.140.247.20
                /home/pi/fr24feed_arm-le_233s --fr24key=01234567890abcdef > /dev/null &

feel free to alter if you've been more tidy then me with where the feeder software is

then put the following lines into crontab
                Code:
                @reboot /home/pi/fr24.sh
                0 */6 * * * /home/pi/fr24.sh

Please replace the first zero on the '0 */6 * * * /home/pi/fr24.sh' line by a value between 0 and 59 ... it represents the minute when the restart should happen, and it might not be good for FR24 if everyone restarts at the same time.

(and that would be exactly the same time to within a few milliseconds since the Raspberry Pi is synced to internet time clocks).
                Last edited by peterhr; 2013-08-27, 12:35. Reason: Mention minutes on cron job

Comment

• Thank you ver much peterhr! And one more question... the output redirection to the file /dev/null is the same like redirecting the output to a .txt file ??? Or in this case the data is not saved? Thank you!!! I ask this, because I'm trying to send data like a web server with the raspberry pi too. And by this way sending real-time data, not all the data simply some pieces!!!

Comment

• see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//dev/null

which says...
                    In Unix-like operating systems, /dev/null or the null device is a special file that discards all data written to it but reports that the write operation succeeded.
                    It provides no data to any process that reads from it, yielding EOF immediately

don't forget to mark the script file as executable - or the machine will think it's just text
                    Code:
                    chmod +x fr24.sh

The & at the end of the line in the script says 'run this command in the background (do not attach it to the console / or process calling it)'
                    Last edited by peterhr; 2013-08-27, 12:39.

Comment

• Thanks again for that info, I'm going to add those scripts here today. When running FR24 to /dev/null is it still possible to log onto a terminal session via ssh and watch the data? (not a Linux person I'm afraid - but learning slowly )

update: just did a bit of Google and perhaps there isn't a 'nice' way of doing that.
                      Last edited by 41south; 2013-08-27, 20:11.

Comment

• Originally posted by 41south View Post
                        Thanks again for that info, I'm going to add those scripts here today. When running FR24 to /dev/null is it still possible to log onto a terminal session via ssh and watch the data? (not a Linux person I'm afraid - but learning slowly )

update: just did a bit of Google and perhaps there isn't a 'nice' way of doing that.
                        only by stopping the feed and restarting it interactively.

You can of course start the F24 feeder on a windows PC against dump1090 on the Pi (while the Pi uploader is running), in fact you have to do that if you want to use RadarView on http://radarview.flightradar24.com/ when logged into premium.

Comment

• I thought that may be the case for an interactive session. It's probably not a big issue, I'm thinking of this from the point of view of support for a remotely located station.

Comment

• Oh my, that opens a nest of snakes.
                            You need some way to enable an SSH connection port 22, usually easy enough to do with a port forwarding rule on the remote router - but then you have to worry about the IP address of the remote connection, many domestic Internet connections have a dynamic address issued from the ISP switch up the road. Dynamic DNS can help track changes on this. Then there's the question of if the ISP blocks incoming access on port 22. and the threat that someone will attack the equipment. As soon as you put a server (which this would be) on the web, the robot programs of the hackers start to attack it to find weaknesses they can exploit. This isn't kids - it's business and the attacks don't come from home PC's, they come from servers in the cloud (amazon cloud, etc) ... so you need to restrict that port 22 access so it's only accessible from you (or the network range of your local ISP switch) ... or install a VPN ... a lot of routers have the ability built in.
                            Nothing is easy trying to do it securely.
                            Last edited by peterhr; 2013-08-28, 07:02. Reason: typo

Comment

• Thank you!!! I have understood the purpose of dev/null perfectly!!!

Comment

• The security seems to be a great headache!!! My purpose is doing something like 41south is saying, but do you think it's a bit tricky for someone who has just started to use linux? I just create a local web with some information and links but I'm thinking to feed data in a interactive way too. To create a local map of the aircrafts which pass above my area... Could you recommend me some tutorials for the security of the raspberry piż? Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X