Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux feeder software for Flightradar24 (Old software)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ mindlesstux,

Welcome to FR24!

I have the same link as you, bookmarked for the basestation format.
    This link has a pdf that discusses the ADS-B packet structure and has some good references.

dump1090 does not include the date / time, and it would be nice to have that included (especially if you can sync with a GPS clock ... Mlat sounds fun, and I have a linux compatable USB GPS dongle already) Edit: Thinking about it, because the USB link is so slow and jittery, MLat will never work with one of these dongles. The timing of the receipt of the packet needs to be made by the receiver, not the PC, as with the "Radarcape" (which I am looking forward to) /Edit

I have spent most of this afternoon wondering if I can get dump1090 to use openstreetmap instead of google maps. It ought to be simple, but it is something I have never attempted.

1090MHz will not go through trees well, especially if they are wet. Height is what you need for your antenna. My dongle is in the roofspace, on the end of a 25' USB extender (which works very well). The antenna then plugs directly into the dongle, so no lossy coax is needed.

225 is the latest build for linux. I have had no problems with it.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by roofer; 2013-03-23, 16:47.

Comment

• Yep that helps and just tells me my feed is gonna not be worth crap in a few weeks when the trees push out the new leaves. Problem is I have tall oaks around my house and right now they are bare. The pear trees in my front yard (direction of CLT) are already blooming. Too bad there is nothing I can "leech"/use from Charlotte TDWR, as I can see it from my living room.

I think I can get the time stamp in there with out to much trouble, as it was already in the code at one point if I remember right. (Took a evening an trolled all the commits looking.) As for using GPS time, that is beyond my skill but going about a work around might work. Setup a ntpd server to pull from gps and set clock to gps. Not to mention also a good point to serve the NTP community @ www.pool.ntp.org. I would help with the openstreetmap thing but, I get a dud feeling out of them, though making it an option should not be to hard. Just look at the gmap.html file, go nuts. Think the bigger trick is modifying the output from dump1090 for plane data.

Perhaps I can strike up a deal with my office's building owner and put the pi + dongle in a NEMA box and "rent roof space." One saturday I was able get coverage about half way through VA, of course above 10kft, just from my 4th floor office window. The building blocked me from anything to the south.
      T-KCLT1, Also the man behind the curtain working on the dump1090 webgui and the dump1090-helper project.

Comment

• Yep that helps and just tells me my feed is gonna not be worth crap in a few weeks when the trees push out the new leaves
        Don't despair. I had (admittedly poor) reception indoorsfrom my basement, with the dongle's supplied antenna. Much better reception with a tuned antenna in the roof, but it did work in the basement. So you may be pleasantly surprised when leaves grow.
        Setup a ntpd server to pull from gps and set clock to gps.
        Thanks for the idea, my Pi can also be my local ntpd stratum-1 timeserver. My IP is dynamic, so I can't contribute to pool.ntp.org
        I would help with the openstreetmap thing but, I get a dud feeling out of them,
        Ouch! I contribute to OSM, and most of Europe is now mapped in astonishing detail, but I know interest and support from the USA is not so good, and you are a sparsely populated area, so you are forgiven.
        Just look at the gmap.html file, go nuts.
        Too right, it's giving me a headache as I need to learn a lot of new stuff (API's, JSON, some C ....) and I am OLD.
        Perhaps I can strike up a deal with my office's building owner and put the pi + dongle in a NEMA box and "rent roof space."
        This sounds like a great idea. You'll probably need to negociate some internet bandwidth. The FR24 feed does not seem to use much bandwidth. If you want figures, I'll do some digging into the logs...

Have fun.

Comment

• I've got my Raspberry Pi with Debian Wheezy running with ADSBox but each time I run the latest fr24feed_arm-le_225s with my key I get a "Parsing configuration....ERROR". I have no idea why! Do you know why? Please let me know!
          Michael
          Palmerston North,
          New Zealand
          ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• @nzradar,
            Is your key correct? Please check it.
            Is adsbox operating correctly? Can you see the decoded adsb data stream?
            If you are using the static compiled version did you remember to export FR24AUTHIP=83.140.247.20 ?

Comment

• Is there any "cook book" how to setup a RasPi (V2) with ADSBox and USB connection to a "Beast" so I can stream the received data via LAN to a client of my choice? I'm a rookie in Linux so I need some fundamental help.

Comment

• @Dorsachse,
                I'm not sure this is the right place or thread for a hand-holding introduction to linux. I'd send you a "Personal Message", but I don't know how to.
                But if you head over to http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ and then click Register (In the blue line at the top)
                you can open a (free) account there. Lots and lots of (generally fast) linux help for things like this.
                If you register as Dorsachse, or post in the "Linux Newbie" forum with a title like "How do I compile ADSBox on a RPi", I'll keep an eye out for you, if someone else does not reply to you first.

On reflection, the above seems a little mean , so here goes with the hand-holding.....

Boot your Pi and open a terminal

First, you really need to enable ssh so you can get to a terminal on your Pi from elsewhere on your network (way too useful, just install "Putty" on win and you can connect from there)
                See here for how to do this.

Now, in a terminal, get the stuff you need to be able to compile things:

Code:
                sudo apt-get install build-essential
                In the browser go here
                It is a russian site, but all you need is to download the file adsbox-20130224.tar.gz
                Download it to your home directory ( /home/pi/ )
                The list of downloads is right at the very end of the page (you can also get google to translate the page, it does a good job. Except that it messes up the capitalisation of the command line options to adsbox, see posts below for an explanation...)

Now go here and download the file sqlite-amalgamation-3071600.zip to your home directory.

Close your browser, with the file manager, double click adsbox-20130224.tar.gz and then extract it.
                It should create a directory /home/pi/adsbox with a lot of files in it
                With the file manager, double click sqlite-amalgamation-3071600.zip and then extract it. It will create a directory in your home folder with 4 files in it. You need to rename the directory sqlite-amalgamation-3071600 to sqlite3 [R-click in file manager, Rename]

All done? Ok
                Open a terminal.
                Type ls ("ell ess" short for "list") then the return key. You should see something like
                Code:
                adsbox     adsbox-20130224.tar.gz    Desktop      
                sqlite3    sqlite-amalgamation-3071600.zip
                it is the adsbox and sqlite3 we really need to see. If they are not there, you did something wrong.

If all is OK then (press the return key after each of these commands)

Code:
                cd adsbox
                make
                Stuff happens. It is quite slow. Have a cup of tea.

Now plug in your beast. It should appear at /dev/ttyUSB0
                Note, that is "U-S-B-Zero" not "U-S-B-Oh"!

Start adsbox like this:

Code:
                cd ~/adsbox
                ./adsbox -s /dev/ttyUSB0 -l YourLatitude -g YourLong -seed
                The dot at the beginning of that command is meant to be there. It is not a typo. It matters.

Now, open the web browser and go to http://localhost:8080 and you should be in business.
                If that works, then from elsewhere on your LAN you can http://ip.of.your.pi:8080 or use the data that is being sent on the Pi's port 30003

In case of problems, you might be better off at linuxquestions, and please tell us the error messages you receive.

Good luck
                Last edited by roofer; 2013-03-25, 19:13. Reason: see post 161 below, in this thread

Comment

• Yes I did all of that...........very carefully, following all the threads here but I at every command I get the parsing configuration error, I just can't get beyond this. I have checked my key from what was provided by FR24 support and it works OK in Windoze. Dunno!
                  Michael
                  Palmerston North,
                  New Zealand
                  ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• Code:
                    cd ~/adsbox
                    ./adsbox -S /dev/ttyUSB0 -L YourLatitude -G YourLong -Seed
                    With my Beast, Pi and Debian Wheezy this just doesn't work. I have to use:

Code:
                     ./adsbox --serial /dev/ttyUSB0 --baud 3000000 -l xx.xxx -g xxx.xxx --seed
                    Is there really that much difference between the command to render one of them unusable?
                    Michael
                    Palmerston North,
                    New Zealand
                    ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• roofer, I have a version of dump1090 which includes the time/date and the OSM renderer, if you want. Quite straightforward.

screenshot : http://anony.ws/4j1

Originally posted by roofer View Post
                      @ mindlesstux,
                      I have spent most of this afternoon wondering if I can get dump1090 to use openstreetmap instead of google maps. It ought to be simple, but it is something I have never attempted.
                      Last edited by shazz; 2013-03-24, 22:02. Reason: added image

Comment

• @nzradar,
                        Thanks for posting the command that starts adsbox for you. My posting was wrong - because I read the command line options from the google-translated russian site. In translating the russian into english, google decided to "improve" the capitalisation. Checking the syntax in the original russian, I can see that the options are all lower case, so I will edit my post @ #157 to reflect this. Although I have managed to compile adsbox, I cannot really test it as I haven't a "beast". No idea why you beed a baud rate setting, as USB doesn't work like a serial port.

Can you tell us the exact error messages you get when trying to start the linux feeder software on your Pi? Best if you copy & paste the command to start it, and the error messages from a terminal, into a document, then copy & paste from that, to here. Sometimes it is as simple a thing as an extra " " character, or as we have discovered, a capital letter where it should be lower case.

@shazz,
                        That looks nice (openstreetmap map). Did you write the patch? Is this improved version available somewhere, because I would like to use it. I am sure the original developer of dump1090 (Salvatore Sanfilippo) would appreciate a copy.

Comment

• @roofer
                          I think it's always good with a new programe to do a ./newprogramme --help to see what switches are available. I'm now working with Roman to resolve some issues with negative altitude values and the big problem (for me at least) with adsbox stopping after a few hours. Hopeful for a fix soon so that i can flick windoze for good! My power company is going to hate me!
                          Michael
                          Palmerston North,
                          New Zealand
                          ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• Hi NZradar and roofer,

Thanks for this info! I compiled adsbox last week on my Linux desktop as the very first program I ever compiled! I even can create an ARM version, using the same compiler on my pc. So now I ordered a dongle to see if I can get that work; next step will be a Raspberry Pi. The explanation Roofer gave and the succes with nzradar gives me encouragement. So thanks a lot and I just wanted you to know that you help at least one other person.
                            Marco

Comment

• Originally posted by shazz View Post
                              roofer, I have a version of dump1090 which includes the time/date and the OSM renderer, if you want. Quite straightforward.

screenshot : http://anony.ws/4j1
                              That little bit of a screenshot was enough to tease me. I looked into using openstreet map. Must say that was the quickest hack I have ever coded...
                              http://raspberry.mindlesstux.com/dump1090/ - Dont view in chrome, the reverse proxy server sometimes gets stuck with requests from chrome. When I say stuck, I mean stuck sending the "index" page instead of the real data.json file.

Now the real question, everyone that uses one of the low cost dongles. Has anyone noted a difference in amount of data (ignoring mode-s data) between dump1090 and rtl_adsb? I also noted about 60% less cpu load with dump1090 in a hub mode (using rtl_adsb to feed dump1090) vrs its active reading the airwaves.
                              T-KCLT1, Also the man behind the curtain working on the dump1090 webgui and the dump1090-helper project.

Comment

• I'm using the standard dump1090 from a RPi over wifi - is the openstreetmap patched version available anywhere?

Comment

Working...
                                X