This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
    Can we abuse the forum software and create a locked sticky thread for posts like this and for FAQ's

* In the forum space for ease of update
    * Locked so it can only be updated by admins and mods (I assume a locked thread is still up-datable by admins and mods in vBullitin)
    * Sticky for prominence
    * Abused so each post is a Subject / Announcement : the subject / announcement body text receives [dated] updates as required (avoid creating creating a new posts in thread thread for content updates or to add detail - so the 'Linux Feeder Software Status' post always has the latest information about the 'Linux Feeder Software Status' )

Sorry if this is off topic for the forum.
    Thanks for your suggestions. There is already a sticky thread and post that we link and inform about when you register, that you receive on your email after registration and that is linked in the menu. This post links the most common threads and questions. But most users ignore to read this message.

Comment

• I hear what you say , but

Not prominent enough
      - Needs to be the very top thing when the forum opens even if it means creating a new category for it. Maybe "Important information and FAQ's"
      - Needs to have the answers to the common questions in it 'Why doesn't my Radar show on FR24' etc in there and to be referenced when a FAQ arrives

Comment

• FR24feed software

The change over is just about complete and the FR24feed software is just about being phased out.

Since many of us started this as a hobby, we built a camaraderie with one another helping and criticising.

This FR24 Vision became the next big thing and was a very expensive network to pay for and maintain. Feeders with privately owned hardware especially dongles was a cheap way to participate and drop out if things changed or didn't work out.

Viability, and reliability dictated a new investment in company owned receivers which could be controlled and modified globally with the users providing the electricity, internet and suitable location. Dongles and other privately owned receiver/antenna setups did not meet the quality requirements of a network accessible by many types of devices.

Using their own resources, the company started in earnest placing COS (Company Owned Systems) across the world. While previously shipping by postal there was a changeover to UPS with only 7 to 10 day delay. What used to cost 20 EUR or so by post now costs 250 EUR for express service. This extra investment is in addition to the 750 EUR system package cost.

It is hoped this can be recovered eventually by subscriptions which is a hard slog in the noise of the day.

In areas selected by FR24, F-receivers have priority over others. The system is superior to anything you can build or buy. Being an F-Feeder myself and also T-Feeder much to my chagrin my T-Feed disappeared from the Map Filter list even though feeding redundant information. Those T-Feeders supplying information not being supplied by F-Feeders are still alive and display on the FR24 map.

This has to be a successful service for the world to see our efforts in partnership with the company. True, we the hobbyists, will have to get our head around the evolving Vision of FR24. We are in a continuing journey, we either move forward or fall by the wayside. Talk is cheap but carrying out a Vision is expensive.

John

T-RPVD1
        F-RPVD1

Comment

• The T-xxxx feeders with Radarcape box should be uploading at the same speed as FR24 boxes to the FR24 Servers.

Originally posted by paradiselost View Post
          In areas selected by FR24, F-receivers have priority over others. The system is superior to anything you can build or buy. Being an F-Feeder myself and also T-Feeder much to my chagrin my T-Feed disappeared from the Map Filter list even though feeding redundant information. Those T-Feeders supplying information not being supplied by F-Feeders are still alive and display on the FR24 map.
          Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
          [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

• The hobbiests like to see thier radar code on the map, to the site owners it's a PITA that the hobbiests like it - but that is probably the one thing that has led to the expansion of the fr24 over the others offering similar services. The others are now upping thier game and are trying to advance, any that don't advance are being defeated - even if they don't realise it.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Maybe it's time to turn off the "x-xxxx Radar Code" thing on FR24 website/apps.
              So it's not PITA anymore for FR24 people(Mike),etc.

Does anyone even look at the T-xxxx/F-xxxx/N-xxxx radar feeder codes anymore?
              Last edited by SoCalBrian; 2014-02-19, 00:29.
              Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
              [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

• Aloha,

I sure look at them, partly out of curiosity, but also to spot new feeders in the surrounding area. And, yes, it does give a sense of satisfaction to be able to see my own code showing a contribution to the system. It has also tipped me off on occasion that I wasn't feeding when I thought I was.

Chuck

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  The new software that will enable T-feeders to get statistics has been delayed as we want to include more features in the new software. The biggest news apart from statistics as that we want to include our own decoder in the software. We are not satisfied by the data quality provided by other decoding software that users are using today. We get many, many error reports on data coming from software feeders, so there is no up side of giving worse and slower data higher priority. This update will improve the data quality of software feeders but it will still not reach the same quality as a FR24 box.

FR24 box data is faster, FR24 box has better data quality and the FR24 box data will always be the main source for our live air traffic database. This is the data where we have 100% control of the data and in the rare case that we find a decoding issue we can update and fix that easily. Software feeds will be available through the updated feeding software, and software feeders will see their feeding statistics when we have released the update, but in areas where there is both FR24 box feeder and a software feeder, the FR24 box will win over the software feeder in most cases. Software feeds will be primary used in areas where there is no FR24 box coverage.

We have been quite clear with that before, and to make it even more clear I think we should express it like this.
                  Please feed FR24 with your own hardware and FR24 feeding software, if you want to improve coverage in your region and/or if you want to get free premium. If your intention is to feed with the feeder software, only to spot your own radar-code on the map, we are sorry, but we can't provide you with that.
                  Have you tried make contact with the coder of adsb# (and sdr#)?
                  They are currently working on the airspy as well, which will also do ads-b decoding with updated software.

There was also this post:
                  Alternative receivers, antennas, amplifiers, connectors, adapters and general technical matters. No Flightradar24 issues.

On to which was replied in short:
                  the AGC has nothing to do here
                  it has no effects at all at these speeds
                  it just adjusts to the ambiant noise
                  not the signals
                  the rest is dsp magic
                  My FR24 receiver or RTLSDR(mini)+ADSB# have the same range on the same antenna.
                  The RTLSDR has a noise floor of around -60dB while the airspy will be around -90dB.
                  Your own decoder is great, as long as you are not using the stolen software that is called rtl1090.
                  (If you have access to the rtl1090 source then please download the adsb# source, which he also has done, and look for the stolen code parts. If you have not and this has nothing to do with it, good, ignore this.)

But if you really want to get the best out of cheap and expensive hardware using dsp technology, you should really contact this guy.
                  - sdrsharp.com
                  - airspy.com

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
                    Maybe it's time to turn off the "x-xxxx Radar Code" thing on FR24 website/apps.
                    So it's not PITA anymore for FR24 people(Mike),etc.

Does anyone even look at the T-xxxx/F-xxxx/N-xxxx radar feeder codes anymore?
                    Mike has expressed his displeasure over having to attribute feeds but I for one liked the ability to myopically view my area to see if my T-station was "being all it could be". True most of the basestation programs have that ability but I liked the FR24 map as the end result.

In the new scheme of things it may go away but I'll miss it.

John

T-RPVD1
                    F-RPVD1

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarod View Post
                      Your own decoder is great, as long as you are not using the stolen software that is called rtl1090.
                      I don't think this FR24 Feed Software forum is the place to assert the possibility that FR24 is using stolen code.

John

T-RPVD1
                      F-RPVD1

Comment

• Mike,

umm

Shouldn't the Radarcape boxes owned by people(not FR24) have the same data speed and data quality. Just like the FR24 boxes?

or are you saying Radarcape boxes owned by others are slower with different data quality than the FR24 owned boxes.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        FR24 box data is faster, FR24 box has better data quality
                        The new software that will enable T-feeders to get statistics has been delayed as we want to include more features in the new software.
                        How will the T-feeders statistics work for Radarcape T-xxxx users?
                        The Radarcape uses the built in software to upload to FR24 server.
                        Last edited by SoCalBrian; 2014-02-19, 03:19.
                        Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu

Comment

• Radarcape feeders will probably see feeder statistics later this week.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                            I hear what you say , but

Not prominent enough
                            - Needs to be the very top thing when the forum opens even if it means creating a new category for it. Maybe "Important information and FAQ's"
                            - Needs to have the answers to the common questions in it 'Why doesn't my Radar show on FR24' etc in there and to be referenced when a FAQ arrives
                            Seconded. Too many FAQ asked on the forum and people are unaware of using the search facility. A new/updated FAQs is really needed. Hopefully that will the help reduce the queries and not waste your precious time.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
                              Mike,

umm

Shouldn't the Radarcape boxes owned by people(not FR24) have the same data speed and data quality. Just like the FR24 boxes?

or are you saying Radarcape boxes owned by others are slower with different data quality than the FR24 owned boxes.

How will the T-feeders statistics work for Radarcape T-xxxx users?
                              The Radarcape uses the built in software to upload to FR24 server.
                              The Radarcape looks to be the exact same hardware as the FR24 box.... however the firmware most likely is a little different.

My question is will a Radarcape feeder show up as a F or a T ?
                              www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Per mike, F-xxxx radar codes is only used for FR24 boxes.

The Radarcape owned by others should be using T-xxxx.
                                Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu

Comment

Working...
                                X