This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
    have a look at post 118 in this thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...antenna/page12

It describes how to make a simple dipole antenna from Coaxial cable - Mount it so the inner goes up, the second element goes down and the 'feed' goes out horizontally maybe 30cm before being directed to the reciever. I made one up where the down feed was just taped to a bamboo cane (bean pole) and temporarily fixed just above the edge of the roof (actually tied to a window frame).
    This cannot be emphasized enough. A good antenna tuned to 1090MHz will make a world of difference. I run a home made 1/4 wave ground plane antenna fabricated from an SO-239 connector and short lengths of bare #12 copper wire that a neighbor, who works for a large multinational, was able to tune for me on his employers USD$250K antenna analyzer. My little antenna is only up about 18 feet above the ground and is blocked to the northwest by the side of my building but I still get this decent coverage as shown on the plot below (this is the reception pattern for T-KISP3). I have since been able to duplicate the antenna without having to put the new ones on the analyzer:

T-KISP3.jpg
    T-KISP3 feeder covering KFRG and KISP airports on Long Island.

Comment

• I'm happy to announce that we will shortly make some more feeder statistics available to our feeders. Should probably be available for feeders with FR24 hardware in about 1-2 weeks time, and after that to feeders with FR24 software in about 2-3 weeks time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aardvark View Post
        This cannot be emphasized enough. A good antenna tuned to 1090MHz will make a world of difference.
        Thanks guys for the advice. As i said I am not in a position at this stage to be installing external antenna's. I do understand how much difference it will make compared to the little whip antenna I have sitting on the window sill but my father in law wont quite see the need for me to be draping lengths of coax out the window and hanging off the gutter of "his" house. BTW, I have feeders all around me who pick up everything except for traffic that gets down to a few thousand feet just around me, so I am really only picking up this little dead spot. I am currently receiving AC neally 70 to 100km away with what I have so I am sure I will be able to feed the local Air Traffic from here that those feeders with high gain antennas closest to me just miss out on.

I will try a manual registration for my key instead. I tried again this morning but just cant quite get two AC in the vicinity at the same time to enable the self registration. I know if I sat their all day it would occur at some stage but I also have to work. Hopefully I will get feeding later today. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

• Would this be a public "feeder statistics" page for anyone to read?
          Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
          [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

• I dought,. that it would be any use to the Public.

More for the feeders,. who supply the data for the website,
            reassuring them that there are uploading,.
            and that they are not Online 24/7 in vain

(F-EDLE1)
            Last edited by delcomp; 2013-10-09, 07:35.
            (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
            1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

• There will for sure be no public list with all names and numbers, but probably some comparison for those who actively chose to compare their numbers with others.
              Feeders who want to be anonymous will be just as anonymous as they are today.

Comment

• I don't mind my location being posted rounded to - say - 15Km (actually my antenna is about 10Km away from where I first intended to install it anyway).

Comment

• What is the best hardware to feed FR24? Low latency etc. So you can become an F- feeder?

Comment

• F-feeders are only feeders with FR24 hardware.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      There will for sure be no public list with all names and numbers, but probably some comparison for those who actively chose to compare their numbers with others.
                      Feeders who want to be anonymous will be just as anonymous as they are today.
                      Mike,
                      I don't think anyone wants to see people "names" on the list.
                      Just use the "Radar Feeder Code" for whatever is listed on the "feeder statistics" page.

&

Originally posted by delcomp View Post
                      I dought,. that it would be any use to the Public.
                      More for the feeders,. who supply the data for the website,
                      reassuring them that there are uploading,.
                      and that they are not Online 24/7 in vain
                      (F-EDLE1)
                      delcomp,
                      "Public" = for anyone to read aka other feeders (like in their areas(Country,State,City,Provinces,Territories,etc )
                      It would be more like FlightAware feeder statistics page but without the names not being listed mike talked about above.
                      Plus make the FR24 feeder statistics page better in anyways it can. If it's isn't going be any good, don't release it till it's good.
                      Statistics for sites feeding ADS-B flight tracking data to FlightAware. Sites, users, countries, regions, and teams are ranked by the number of aircraft reported.
                      Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
                      [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        F-feeders are only feeders with FR24 hardware.
                        Ok same question without the last part:
                        What is the best hardware to feed FR24? Low latency etc.

Comment

• Complete newbie here. I have a DVB-T+DAB=FM dongle attached to a Discone aerial. Using the RTL1090 software I get anything from 40 to70 planes on ModeS. Running the latest download of FR24 feed software but all I get is Basestation: ERROR (waiting 5 sec) repeating. What have I missed? RTL1090 screenshot.jpgUntitled.jpg Screenshots attached (I hope)

Comment

• Originally posted by Malcolml View Post
                            Complete newbie here. I have a DVB-T+DAB=FM dongle attached to a Discone aerial. Using the RTL1090 software I get anything from 40 to70 planes on ModeS. Running the latest download of FR24 feed software but all I get is Basestation: ERROR (waiting 5 sec) repeating. What have I missed? [ATTACH=CONFIG]2773[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2774[/ATTACH] Screenshots attached (I hope)
                            Do you start RTL1090 with /30003 as argument?

Comment

• Originally posted by Malcolml View Post
                              Complete newbie here. I have a DVB-T+DAB=FM dongle attached to a Discone aerial. Using the RTL1090 software I get anything from 40 to70 planes on ModeS. Running the latest download of FR24 feed software but all I get is Basestation: ERROR (waiting 5 sec) repeating. What have I missed? [ATTACH=CONFIG]2773[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2774[/ATTACH] Screenshots attached (I hope)
                              As the poster above noted, make sure /30003 is enabled. However, you are much better off running the RTL1090 Beta 2 version as that allows you to configure all those settings in the app itself. Go to http://www.jetvision.de/download/rtl1090.beta2.zip to get it.
                              T-KISP3 feeder covering KFRG and KISP airports on Long Island.

Comment

• Harrie45, thanks, I tried that but Windows 7/64 doesn't seem to let me put a switch after the basic command. But as the RTL window already said the UDP target was Port 30003 I thought that was OK.
                                Aardvark, thanks for that, I have downloaded the Beta2 and its off and running. I suppose its only a matter of time before the data is recognised by the server.
                                I travel abroad a lot, mainly to Ghana and Philippines. Is there any point in my setting it up out there, though I won't have the benefit of a static aerial.
                                Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X