Running fr24feed no Synology (ARM64)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running fr24feed no Synology (ARM64)

I was able to find some old posts here that allowed me to figure out which packages would work on my DS118 Synology (ARM64 platform).

I can make the fr24feed work, but not using the service and I'm hoping someone here can help me.

The package was installed correctly in the /bin folder and I was able to set up the configuration.

When I run "sudo systemctl start fr24feed", I don't get an error but the service doesn't seem to start, not even after a reboot.

When I run "fr24feed-status" I get the following output:
    Code:
    /bin/fr24feed-status: line 3: /lib/lsb/init-functions: No such file or directory
    /bin/fr24feed-status: line 8: log_failure_msg: command not found
    I can manually start the service by running "fr24feed --fr24key=<hey>" but that's of course not exactly what I want. Any suggestions on what might be missing and/or what I can try?

PS: for reference, I'm running 1.0.34-0.
    Last edited by rroos; 2023-03-18, 07:24.

Please post output of following commands
    (The overactive spam protection of this forum is blocking me to post any code. I am forced to take screenshot and post it as as image).

Commands to determine OS.png

Comment

Init-function is available in Debian based OS. Seems it is missing from your OS. You can add it by following commands.

After adding init-function, run the command "sudo fr24feed-status"

Code:
      sudo mkdir -p /lib/lsb  

sudo wget -O /lib/lsb/init-functions "https://github.com/abcd567a/fr24feed-Fedora-OpenSUSE-CentOS-amd64/raw/main/fr24/init-functions"

If you want to see the contents of init-functions file which will be downloaded to your NASDS118 Synology (ARM64) computer's directory "/lib/lsb/", click this link:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ab...init-functions
      Last edited by abcd567; 2023-03-18, 22:18.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
        Init-function is available in Debian based OS. Seems it is missing from your OS. You can add it by following commands.

After adding init-function, run the command "sudo fr24feed-status"

Code:
        sudo mkdir -p /lib/lsb

sudo wget -O /lib/lsb/init-functions "https://github.com/abcd567a/fr24feed-Fedora-OpenSUSE-CentOS-amd64/raw/main/fr24/init-functions"

If you want to see the contents of init-functions file which will be downloaded to your NASDS118 Synology (ARM64) computer's directory "/lib/lsb/", click this link:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ab...init-functions
        Thanks, I can now execute fr24feed-status. It seems the first check there already fails: Process . . . Failed!

I also checked which services are running using "systemctl --type=service" and can see the following: fr24feed.service loaded failed failed Flightradar24 Decoder & Feed

I figured maybe something during the installation was incomplete, and when I install the package again I get the following output:

/usr/lib/fr24/fr24feed_updater.sh: line 13: apt-get: command not found
        /usr/lib/fr24/fr24feed_updater.sh: line 14: apt-cache: command not found
        /usr/lib/fr24/fr24feed_updater.sh: line 15: apt-cache: command not found
        Installed version:
        Latest available:
        Upgrading fr24feed from to ...
        Waiting for fr24feed to stop completely...
        dpkg: error processing package fr24feed:armhf (--configure):
        package fr24feed:armhf is already installed and configured
        Errors were encountered while processing:
        fr24feed:armhf
        /usr/lib/fr24/fr24feed_updater.sh: line 38: apt-get: command not found
        Failed to update, restarting current version...

Seems like I'm missing some dependencies. Would you happen to have these as well?

Comment

Seems your OS is NOT a Debian-based OS. I am not sure, but think name of the OS which is installed on your DS118 Synology (ARM64) is Linux named DSM7

If you receive a "command not found" message when trying to run an apt command (such as "apt" or "apt-get" or "apt-cache"), the first thing to consider is the Linux distribution you are using.

The "apt" is a software package management tool for Debian or Debian-based Linux systems, and is not available in many other Linux OS, such as Fedora, Red Hat, CentOS, OpenSuse, etc, etc.

(1) Please tell us how you installed fr24feed 1.0.34-0.

(2) Please post output of following command

Code:
          sudo find / -name fr24feed.service
          Last edited by abcd567; 2023-03-20, 02:08.

Comment

Really appreciate your help on this.

For context, here's what is running: Linux vault 4.4.180+ #42962 SMP Tue Jan 31 23:16:54 CST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux synology_rtd1296_ds118 (upon executing uname-a)

For context, initially I tried using fr24feed 1.0.23-8 by manually unpacking the .deb file and registering the service myself. That didn't seem to work as I would get an error on executing "sudo systemctl start fr24feed".

I therefore opted to go for the latest version and install the package using "sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.34-0_armhf.deb"
            With that version installed, I could actually run "sudo systemctl start fr24feed" without errors, however subsequently checking fr24feed-status shows that the service while loaded isn't active or running.

When I run "sudo find / -name fr24feed.service" I get the following.

/opt/fr24feed/fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf/etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service
            /volume1/@Entware/opt/fr24feed/fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf/etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service
            /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/fr24feed.service
            /etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service

Comment

Good.
              Pleas post output of following caoomands:

Code:
              groups fr24 

dpkg --print-architecture 

dpkg --print-foreign-architectures 

sudo find / -name fr24feed  

cat /etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service
              Last edited by abcd567; 2023-03-21, 10:59.

Comment

sudo find / -name fr24feed gives:
                Code:
                /opt/fr24feed
                /opt/fr24feed/fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf/usr/bin/fr24feed
                /volume1/@Entware/opt/fr24feed
                /volume1/@Entware/opt/fr24feed/fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf/usr/bin/fr24feed
                /usr/bin/fr24feed
                cat /etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service gives:
                Code:
                [Unit]
                Description=Flightradar24 Decoder & Feeder
                After=network-online.target

[Service]
                Type=simple
                Restart=always
                LimitCORE=infinity
                ExecStartPre=-/usr/lib/fr24/install_dump1090.sh
                ExecStartPre=-/usr/lib/fr24/unregister_kernel_modules.sh
                ExecStartPre=-/usr/lib/fr24/create_missing_directories.sh
                ExecStart=/usr/bin/fr24feed
                User=fr24
                Group=fr24
                PermissionsStartOnly=true
                StandardOutput=null

[Install]
                WantedBy=multi-user.target
                "groups" isn't a recognised command

Comment

Originally posted by rroos View Post
                  sudo find / -name fr24feed gives:

cat /etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service gives:
                  [Unit]
                  Description=Flightradar24 Decoder & Feeder
                  After=network-online.target

[Service]
                  Type=simple
                  Restart=always
                  LimitCORE=infinity
                  ExecStartPre=-/usr/lib/fr24/install_dump1090.sh
                  ExecStartPre=-/usr/lib/fr24/unregister_kernel_modules.sh
                  ExecStartPre=-/usr/lib/fr24/create_missing_directories.sh
                  ExecStart=/usr/bin/fr24feed
                  # User=fr24
                  # Group=fr24
                  PermissionsStartOnly=true
                  StandardOutput=null

[Install]
                  WantedBy=multi-user.target

TRY THIS:

(1) In "/etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service" file, disable User=fr24 and Group=fr24 by placing # at start of line, as shown in red above.
                  (2) Save file
                  (3) Give following commands

Code:
                  sudo systemctl daemon-reload  

sudo systemctl restart fr24feed  

sudo systemctl status fr24feed  

sudo fr24feed-status

Comment

First two commands work without issue. The 3rd command has significantly improved as the ExecStart='usr/bin/fr24feed now runs. I still get errors though

Upon running "sudo systemctl status fr24feed" I now get:
                    Code:
                    ● fr24feed.service - Flightradar24 Decoder & Feeder
                    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
                    Active: activating (auto-restart) since Wed 2023-03-22 22:13:38 AEST; 742ms ago
                    Process: 20926 ExecStart=/usr/bin/fr24feed (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
                    Process: 20920 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/fr24/create_missing_directories.sh (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
                    Process: 20914 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/fr24/unregister_kernel_modules.sh (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
                    Process: 20906 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/fr24/install_dump1090.sh (code=exited, status=127)
                    Main PID: 20926 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
                    So I had a look at the "create_missing_directories.sh" and it fails on the last command in that script which gives me
                    Code:
                    chown: invalid user: ‘fr24:fr24’
                    Sounds like that has something to do with what I just outcommented. How should I update that .sh file?

The "install_dump1090.sh" seems to fail because it wants to install dump1090 again. That's weird because I have that installed through entware and it exists in "/opt/bin/dump1090", which is reflected in my /etc/fr24feed.ini file. So according to the comments in the .sh file it should look for my version of dump1090 but it doesn't do that. I actually don't understand how the script knows to look in a different folder. It seems hardcoded to look in /usr/lib/fr24/dump1090 ?

I tried to be clever and commented out the ExecStartPre=-/usr/lib/fr24/install_dump1090.sh in the fr24feed.service file but still no luck.
                    Last edited by rroos; 2023-03-22, 12:36.

Comment

While manually installing fr4feed, you did NOT create user fr24, that is why fr24feed.service faied to start. When you commented out "User=fr24", the service now started by user "root".

Also command chown failed because user fr24 does not exist

Create user fr24 by following command:

Code:
                      sudo useradd --system fr24

After creating user fr24, remove both # you have put in file "fr24feed.service" on my instructions in my last post, save file, then give following commands again

​​
                      Code:
                      sudo systemctl daemon-reload

sudo} systemctl restart fr24feed

sudo systemctl status fr24feed

sudo fr24feed-status
                      }

Comment

Ok so creating the group and user made sure that the chown command worked. The service however still doesn't seem to work.

Upon the command 'sudo systemctl status fr24feed' I now get
                        Code:
                        ● fr24feed.service - Flightradar24 Decoder & Feeder
                        Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
                        Active: activating (auto-restart) since Thu 2023-03-23 20:15:39 AEST; 75ms ago
                        Process: 10266 ExecStart=/usr/bin/fr24feed (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
                        Process: 10261 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/fr24/create_missing_directories.sh (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
                        Process: 10254 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/fr24/unregister_kernel_modules.sh (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
                        Process: 10246 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/fr24/install_dump1090.sh (code=exited, status=127)
                        Main PID: 10266 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
                        That's not surprising as the script is looking for dump1090 in /usr/lib/fr24/dump1090 whereas my dump1090 lives in opt/bin/dump1090.

If I change the script to look in that location, the error on the script is gone as expected, but the service still doesn't work. I can't seem to find a log file with more detailed info. When I run "systemctl" I can see that the service is loaded but not active or running (both are shown as failed).

Should I copy my dump1090 installation to /usr/lib/fr24/dump1090 ? It's odd because if I simply run sudo fr24feed, the application works?

Comment

Active: activating (auto-restart) since Thu 2023-03-23 20:15:39 AEST; 75ms ago

That's not surprising as the script is looking for dump1090 in /usr/lib/fr24/dump1090 whereas my dump1090 lives in opt/bin/dump1090.
                          If I change the script to look in that location, the error on the script is gone as expected, but the service still doesn't work. I can't seem to find a log file with more detailed info. When I run "systemctl" I can see that the service is loaded but not active or running (both are shown as failed).

Should I copy my dump1090 installation to /usr/lib/fr24/dump1090 ? It's odd because if I simply run sudo fr24feed, the application works?
                          The dump1090 in /usr/lib/fr24/ is only a soft link (also known as symlink) to the actual binary wherever it is located.

My binary's physical location is:
                          /usr/bin/dump1090-mutability

(1) Which decoder you have installed?

(2) Please post output of following command.
                          Note: Replace fr24key value by xxxxxx when posting in forum

Code:
                          cat /etc/fr24feed.ini

(3) What is output of command shown in screenshot below?

fr24feed-symlink dump1090.png
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2023-03-24, 02:19.

Comment

I can't seem to find a log file with more detailed info
                            In file "/etc/fr24feed.ini" change
                            logmode="0"
                            to
                            logmode="1"

Save file, restart fr24feed, then check log

fr24feed-check-log.png
                            Last edited by abcd567; 2023-03-23, 19:34.

Comment

Ah thanks, I fixed that symlink that didn't exist.

1. The decoder I have installed in dump1090, which I installed via Entware. I'm running dump1090-fa 4.0.

2. cat /etc/fr24feed.ini gives me
                              Capture.JPG

3. ls -l /usr/lib/fr24 gives me (and yes, I created the dump1090 here manually)
                              Capture2.JPG

4. Unfortunately, starting the service doesn't create a log file. I do get a log file when I manually run 'fr24feed'....

Comment

Working...
                              X