Newbie Feeder issues - dump1090, fr24 & flightaware complications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Feeder issues - dump1090, fr24 & flightaware complications

Disclaimer: For the moderators - if this is not the correct forum, please redirect my post to the right one. Thanks.

Hello everyone,

I need your help, badly

I am installing everything on RPi 4B, running raspberry Pi OS (bullseye, arm64)

There are thousands of howtos, each with its own shortcomings. I chose one for the installation of dump1090-fa, but it also has its own shortcomings, so I am lost!
    fr24feed-debian-ubuntu-amd64/README.md at master · abcd567a/fr24feed-debian-ubuntu-amd64 · GitHub says that when I install dump1090-fa, there should also be a directory - /usr/share/dump1090-fa/htnl which should contain a config.js. This is not happening on my Pi4B:
    pi@hass:/usr/share/dump1090-fa $ pwd
    /usr/share/dump1090-fa
    pi@hass:/usr/share/dump1090-fa $ ls -al
    total 40
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jan 27 10:44 .
    drwxr-xr-x 292 root root 12288 Jan 27 10:44 …
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 27 10:44 bladerf
    -rw-r–r-- 1 root root 2311 Dec 14 05:06 dump1090-fa.default
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 883 Dec 14 05:06 generate-wisdom
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3630 Dec 14 05:06 start-dump1090-fa
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6654 Dec 14 05:06 upgrade-config

Why is it that I am not getting the /html/ folder?

While I have configured dump1090-fa and it’s running, I am lost on how to get a better-looking web UI interface to it:

Is that what is expected?

I have setup feeds for fr24feed, flightaware and rbfeeder.
    I can get a nice web UI for FlightAware:

However, I am looking for a way to get a similarly looking web UI for fr24feed, but can’t. Although I recall that when I installed dump1090-mutability, I was able to get that nice web interface for flights, something like this:

I am now heading to a point where I probably have to drop one in favor of the other - between FlightAware and FR24 unless I can get the web UIs for both. I have Googled enough

Can someone please point me to one SINGLE guide (dated 2021 or 2022) that will enable me to get dandy web UI for all of them?

Thank you in advance.

(1) You are looking at wrong place
    For dump1090-fa, there is no folder:
    /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html
    For dump1090-fa, it is here:
    /usr/share/skyaware/html

(2) If you have installed dump1090-mutability, the html folder for dump1090-mutability is here:
    /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html

By the way, you have mentioned in your above post that my Github site tells that the dump1090-fa's html folder is here:
    /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html

Your statement is wrong. On my github site this is NOT mentioned. It seems you got mixedup between dump1090-fa and dump1090-mutability.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2023-01-27, 18:44.

Comment

abcd567 ,
      Thank you so much for responding.
      I am referring to this link on github: https://github.com/abcd567a/fr24feed...ster/README.md and it appears to bear your avatar (or image).
      Could you kindly edit the following sections:
      - (3) CONFIGURING OF dump1090-fa
      - (3) TO UNINSTALL dump1090-fa

In those sections, there are references to /usr/share/dump1090-fa/.
      Now my questions still kinda stand, no?
      I am still a bit confused regarding the local web UI for fr24 and FlightAware.
      For FlightAware, I can access HTTP://w.x.y.z:8080 - it gives me the *local* FlightAware web UI even if I do not add anything. This webUI came as a result of me installing piaware
      I believe my question is all about getting a pretty web UI of the the dump1090-fa, something akin to http://w.x.y.z/dump1090/gmap.html. I had this initially when I installed dump1090-mutability, but with dump1090-fa I am unable to get it.
      That is all I want for now

PS: Thank you so much for all the documentations you have created over the tears.

Comment

You get one. or the other. Not both*

FR24 never had one. Just the decoder they recommended use come with it. FA, designed theirs around their own version.

*Without lots of editing of default ports and web configuration files. Which I don't think anyone will go into.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by odhiambo0 View Post
          abcd567 ,

I am referring to this link on github: https://github.com/abcd567a/fr24feed...ster/README.md and it appears to bear your avatar (or image).
          Could you kindly edit the following sections:
          - (3) CONFIGURING OF dump1090-fa
          - (3) TO UNINSTALL dump1090-fa

In those sections, there are references to /usr/share/dump1090-fa/.
          Now my questions still kinda stand, no?
          YES, the folder /usr/share/dump1090-fa/ still exists, and needs to be deleted when uninstalling dump1090-fa, and therefore still need to be mentioned in the guide in connection with uninstallation.

However the html folder which up to few versions ago used to be inside /usr/share/dump1090-fa/ , was moved, and is now inside /usr/share/skyaware/, so this folder is mentioned in the guide in connection with editing the config.js file which is inside html folder.

usr-share-dump1090-fa.png

Comment

Working...
          X