Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie question: fr24feed source code? dump1090-mutability vs dump-1090-fa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question: fr24feed source code? dump1090-mutability vs dump-1090-fa?

Hello world,

I may be new to this forum, but I have been running dump1090 (the original one) back then. Recently, I have been able to repurpose the good old pogoplug mobile (which was my asterisk server for years) to run the latest dump1090.

I have managed to get Debian 11 (bullseye) running and it was easy to get dump1090-mutability up and running. Then I come across dump1090-fa, and it wasn't an easy path. Long story short, I have to edit the Makefile to compile. Which kinda works except generate-wisdom will give seg fault. Not a big deal about missing the wisdom.local file I assume.

At this point, I still kinda prefer dump1090-mutability, mainly because I can see the logs, easier to config and somehow I feel it is better at decoding ADS-B messages (seeing more planes too).

But now, here is the roadblock I am facing, seems like fr24feed was precompile for pi which is not compatible for this lowly armv5te. And I have searched high and low, but I can't seem to find any info on how to upload data to FR24 besides using its fr24feed. I was hoping there was some kind of perl/php etc script to do the magic or maybe recompile fr24feed just like I did for dump1090-fa.

If all fails, I am guessing (??) I could have fr24feed running from another linux server feeding off the pogoplug.

Also, I have read many posting, and some were using dump1090-mutability to feed fr24feed but others were using dump1090-fa. Is there any preference, or it's pretty much the same?

Here is my poor pogoplug /proc/cpuinfo
    Code:
    processor : 0
    model name : Feroceon 88FR131 rev 1 (v5l)
    BogoMIPS : 333.33
    Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
    CPU implementer : 0x56
    CPU architecture: 5TE
    CPU variant : 0x2
    CPU part : 0x131
    CPU revision : 1

Hardware : Marvell Kirkwood (Flattened Device Tree)

Here is another update...

Instead of running fr24feed on another Linux server. I was trying to get it going on my router which runs DDWRT. I have manually unpacked the bits and pieces from the deb file, and the good news is fr24feed seems to be compatible with the armv7 processor. However, I can't make it work with fr24feed.ini being stored in /jffs/opt/etc (creating a symlink in /etc is not possible because it is a readonly filesystem) Tried to chroot but failed too.

BTW, I have dump1090 & view1090 installed and running ok on my DDWRT router as well. Just this remaining last piece of fr24feed gets me stuck. Don't really want to throw in the towel, to do it the easier(?) way of running fr24feed on a linux server

Comment

Silly me!!

Turns out the fr24feed binary actually is compatible with my pogoplug as well and now I can run it locally! Wasted more than a day trying to figure that out. YAY!

I guess this means working? And how long before the dashboard on fr24 will show my data?

Code:
      [feed][i]filtering out 5 overlapping AC (saving bandwidth)
      [feed][i]sent 0,2 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,2 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,4 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,2 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,3 AC
      info | [stats]sent 845 bytes
      [feed][i]sent 0,3 AC
      [feed][i]sent 2,3 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,3 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,3 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,2 AC
      [feed][i]sent 1,3 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,3 AC
      [feed][i]filtering out 6 overlapping AC (saving bandwidth)
      [feed][i]sent 0,4 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,2 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,3 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,2 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,3 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,2 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,3 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,4 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,3 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,2 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,1 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,1 AC
      [feed][i]filtering out 4 overlapping AC (saving bandwidth)
      [feed][i]sent 0,2 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,1 AC
      [feed][i]sent 0,1 AC
      [feed][i]sent 1,2 AC
      [feed][i]sent 1,2 AC
      [feed][i]sent 1,2 AC
      [feed][n]syncing stream async: 1
      [feed][n]syncing stream result: 1

Comment

You could try and run readsb if you feel like it: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...ADS-B-receiver

https://github.com/wiedehopf/readsb

I suppose the debian package is gonna have an issue with read_only /etc
        It seems strange to only have /etc be read_only but be able to write somewhere else.

But if you have dump1090-mutability running ... no need to bother with it i suppose.

By the way the request to turn off MLAT by fr24 applies to you because dump1090 isn't started by fr24feed ... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
          I suppose the debian package is gonna have an issue with read_only /etc
          It seems strange to only have /etc be read_only but be able to write somewhere else.
          Ah, you have misunderstood my posts. /etc is writeable on my pogoplug, but not on my DDWRT install. Was originally planning to run fr24feed on DDWRT, but I just figured out it works on my pogoplug as well, so it is no longer an issue.

I have read some posts about MLAT and I am still unsure about that, and I did have it turned off (from the sounds of other posts that should be off?)

Comment

Yay, happy to see my first report!

First Report.png

Comment

Working...
            X