Disable MLAT if sharing with other networks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magnum View Post
    Without explanation from FR24 it's hard to understand why this is required.

There is no logic how the FR24 feed can be impacted by data uploaded to other feeders.
    All installed feeders are simply accessing the data provided on a specific port by the decoder. That should not impact each other
    If FR24 ask me to shut it off i shut it off.
    :This is to ensure the quality of the data we receive : is enough reason for me

Comment

Well spotted Oblivian !

Fr24 on Twitter: MLAT is not bad and nothing has changed with MLAT. We just wanted to clarify that software feeders should not share MLAT data from other networks to FR24.

So, as thought it's MLAT data from other networks, so disabling MLAT altogether is a sledgehammer to crack a nut and the emails are badly worded!

Comment

Or the way the data is acquired is not what we think.

Test bench, DVBT as feeder. What I think was default dump1090-mutability 1.15. Toggle simply changes the --MLAT start up flag (that wasn't without doubt). Interestingly MLAT state fine. And no other ports open.

Similarly, originally devs said SBS and ModeSBeast supply it direct fine (they don't use dump1090..)

Unsure. But sure interesting watching confusion reign supreme and all the threats to jump off the ship.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Just to chime in, I restarted FR24 after turning off MLAT which took about 1 minute and lost 3 places in the ranking table which pissed me off a little.
          Last edited by rs100; 2022-05-26, 18:19.

Comment

rs100 -
            ......and lost 3 places in the ranking table....
            Boo hoo... Well, good for me. I probably GAINED 3 places!

Comment

I understand what is required however I don't have the MLAT option in the first place to turn off, since I only send to FR24 I should be ok.

Feeding FR24 since 11/09/13

Comment

My traditionally very stable FR24 feeder has hung twice since disabling MLAT via UI. Still feeds to other sites without any issue. Anybody else?

Comment

I don't quite understand why this is needed to ensure the quality of the data received by FR24, but I have turned off the mlat as requested on this end.

Comment

Antonov data spoofing and shutting down feeders comes to mind.
                    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Hi,

i'm using RadarCape and there is no Option to turn of MLAT just for FR24. I don't like to turn it off completely, do i have to?

Kind regards

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan Osch View Post
                        Hi,

i'm using RadarCape and there is no Option to turn of MLAT just for FR24. I don't like to turn it off completely, do i have to?

Kind regards

Jan
                        Herein one of the flaws with the short (and contradicting to twitter notification) email that went out.

It seems it is only volunteer diy (and probably dvbt stick only) created feeds where you have access to configuration options that can be messed up
                        Radarcape firmware was built as the original fr24 managed feeder. So no, supplied/managed receiver/radarcape you likely can't

believe it still lets you tap 30003/30005 data out and feed other sites happily. So there goes 'if you feed others' theory already.
                        Last edited by Oblivian; 2022-06-01, 00:24.

Comment

In my setup, FR24, running on a Raspberry Pi4 gets it's data from a Flightaware box with a GPS over my local network.
                          Do I need to turn MLAT off ? Sorry, this is very confusing.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 23.29.54.png
                          Attached Files

Comment

FR24 is not worth it anymore for us interested in GA and not Tubes. There are practically no GA planes anymore in my area, compared to other radar networks. And if there is, it is ADSB equipped. MLAT is completely gone!

Comment

Hello Everybody,

Sorry but for me it's not clear what I have to do. I use a RPI and I'm sharing only with FR24, do I have to turn off the MLAT?

Thank you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Aero Club Latina View Post
                                Hello Everybody,

Sorry but for me it's not clear what I have to do. I use a RPI and I'm sharing only with FR24, do I have to turn off the MLAT?

Thank you guys!
                                no you don't have to do anything

Comment

Working...
                                X