This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeder Email - Change Settings To Disable MLAT

Since I can see a sudden rush of users visiting the forums can only but assume everyone who still has a valid registered email just one from FR24 about turning off MLAT

I'll fill in the gaping great hole missing from said email everyone seems to be looking for - the HOW
    (that's a hell of an oversight not to include even a single page web how-to!!!!!!!!)

There is likely to be an absolute bum-rush in support contacts so expect a delay if you go that route

Config change has not changed over all the versions and instructions held here - Although over time these get buried, or those who have forgotten will be searching for a refresh since no instructions were included

So here it is - The web config page is the method to cover off the 'unsure' for now

Open a web browser (this can also be on a mobile if you have no PC).
    Find the IP of the fr24feed device feeding (consult your manual to discover this from your router if unsure) and change accordingly to the addressbar:

REPLACE THE NUMBERS WITH ACTUAL IP

There is a 'settings' link (111.222.333.444:8754/settings.html)

There is yes/no fields there - change them

mlathow.JPG

Someone smarter than I may be able to make a script in the future as an alternate to automate this

(Or someone may have a lightbulb moment and realise a new version could have gone out with a similar config search-and-change for anything other than 'dvb-t ' found in the fr24feed.ini which would have been the logical path...)

For those with Putty/Shell knowledge

nano /etc/fr24feed.ini

Now the WHY?

Complete assumption here... so don't shoot the messenger

However for ages we have had unclear information if MLAT was actually used from self setup feeders.
    It fast pointed at no, supplied boxes had precedent.
    And then yes, and then no not unless it is via 'DVBT' feeder type only via random official posts suggesting the FR24 modified dump1090 build included was integral

You simply can't easily feed others using this start-on-demand built in method - it's icky.

This clearly suddenly rings true. And they now seem to want to make sure only their own hardware or feeds ONLY fr24 with default settings/direct stick access has the setting enabled.

By asking people the wrong way about it.

Don't worry about it. Just turn it off. It won't effect your performance or stats.
    (If anything it may improve the performance of the page if their servers are not being bombarded with more info than it can process?..)
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2022-05-25, 11:39.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

So why don't they switch it off when you select something besides dvb-t?

That's the interesting question for as long as this stuff has been around.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
      So why don't they switch it off when you select something besides dvb-t?

That's the interesting question for as long as this stuff has been around.
      Yeaaaaaappp.

You and I. While I was drafting that up. (I've made a couple of small edits since ) it was one of the first things I thought of

More in the sense of If they can push out changes and break everyone's feeder, surely they can push out a search and replace for the damn ini file or ability!
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

No reason to mess with the configuration file.

The binary can just check that it's set to dvb-t before enabling MLAT.
        Simple.

Comment

The initial setup is poised in such a way where you need to carefully read and understand what you are planning to enter. The bones of which is that you may share MLAT data if you are feeding only to FR24 but if you plan on sharing to multiple networks, you must set MLAT to off.

Yes, I agree we have a ways to go in terms of automation with certain selections but this is how FR24 operates with MLAT.

Every day we notice a large amount of incorrectly configured accounts that need to be individually dealt with.

Comment

If you start out with FR24 feeding package and then add FA or other, reasonably they will not affect FR24 installation since the common denominator is that the DUMP1090 instance is the "feeder" and the software "transmitter" to the services. I.e. the wording "plan on sharing to multiple networks, you must set MLAT to off" is wrong. If you first install FA dump or other, THEN add FR24 feeder then I can understand that MLAT needs to be turned of, in a way.

The problem is that FR24 feeder is ancient, including dump1090. It is not rocket science to develop a modern interface for inexperienced users that helps setup using a simple web-based interface. The fact that FR24 still has not moved on and provided market leading interface & decoder is beyond me. What is worse is that even if a feeder is FR24 exclusive, still F- feeders have priority which in many cases give really poor MLAT results close to airports, where precise rendering is most important.

A simple link to the config interface from the my data feed-tab that works when you are on your home network... it would do exactly what Oblivian described above. Others have done it.
            Please, help us feed you. Or weīll leave the kitchen.

Comment

Guessing having a disclaimer to turn it off (most people don't read T&C when installing software on the best of occasions) may ring true for recent more popular DVBT setups. But imagine people that have been feeding for some time now via SBS/ModeS-Beast/beaglebone and SBS or who have not needed to reinstall won't have been presented with such messaging since.

Hardly touched mine since the original java based uploader in 2011 or later inceptions I was asked to test.

Odd it's also doesn't seem any form of addressing it automagically since inception and multiple subsequent queries around what does/does not do MLAT from about 2016

Have a feeling at the time there was also threads of excitement when the capable devices expanded beyond just the supplied GPS module enabled units. https://forum.flightradar24.com/foru...0187#post90187
              As devices such as mine don't use dump1090, but direct polled by the binary and modes beast was what the initial units were built off

After DVBT conception? Maybe.
              Last edited by Oblivian; 2022-05-25, 12:42.

Comment

In my case, my RPi has a GPS unit attached and acts as an NTP server for my home network. I host both FR24 and FlightAware on this RPi. FA itself sees the GPS unit without problem. So what should I config FR24 to use location from the GPS unit attached?

regards,
                T-VTBD1 : RadarBox 3km North of VTBD
                T-VTBD2 : RPi MLAT 300m South of VTBD

Comment

Originally posted by Kanok View Post
                  In my case, my RPi has a GPS unit attached and acts as an NTP server for my home network. I host both FR24 and FlightAware on this RPi. FA itself sees the GPS unit without problem. So what should I config FR24 to use location from the GPS unit attached?

regards,
                  You can't. The feeder software is a bit antiquated and uses hard-coded addresses to poll NTP. If it is not their custom software on the reference board expecting the unit to have one it doesn't make use of it.

Comment

Originally posted by hansp View Post
                    A simple link to the config interface from the my data feed-tab that works when you are on your home network... it would do exactly what Oblivian described above. Others have done it.
                    Please, help us feed you. Or weīll leave the kitchen.
                    Still likely wouldn't cover everyone

From experience there are a few types of feeders

I want my free business account
                    Why doesn't My business acct work after I set it up, please help fix it
                    I want to see my stats in lights at the top
                    What? Stats page exists?
                    Fire and forget
                    And
                    FEED ALL THE SITES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FR24_Gordon View Post
                      The initial setup is poised in such a way where you need to carefully read and understand what you are planning to enter. The bones of which is that you may share MLAT data if you are feeding only to FR24 but if you plan on sharing to multiple networks, you must set MLAT to off.

Yes, I agree we have a ways to go in terms of automation with certain selections but this is how FR24 operates with MLAT.

Every day we notice a large amount of incorrectly configured accounts that need to be individually dealt with.
                      It's clear the binary can be updated.
                      You have previously stated MLAT does not work unless the receiver is set to dvb-t

Your binary starting up has exactly that information and could just check the receiver setting before enabling MLAT, simply ignoring the mlat setting in that case and keeping it disabled.
                      Relying on users is the wrong way to go ......

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post

Still likely wouldn't cover everyone

From experience there are a few types of feeders

I want my free business account
                        Why doesn't My business acct work after I set it up, please help fix it
                        I want to see my stats in lights at the top
                        What? Stats page exists?
                        Fire and forget
                        And
                        FEED ALL THE SITES!!!
                        Then you design the software so that those will get it right, and leave the configuring and other advances features to ...people like us. The way it is now is apparently not working for anyone.

Comment

As others I received the email today, after check via the web interface method I find the mlat option is already set to no (although I have no idea why).
                          I would have thought those at FR24 would have at least checked first and only send the email to those that were sharing mlat,
                          Seems as though they are happy to make us waste our time but can't be bother to do there own job

Comment

I don’t understand why such policy? Does FR24 not want to continue providing MLAT? In my area, which is around central Dublin, FR24 coverage of MLAT is extremely poor. People rely on AdsbExchange to get the MLAT cover which is excellent. My MLAT home setup is excellent and provides local Mlat. So for FR24 wanting to disable this setup is a joke in my opinion. I understand for a complete novice screwing up the positioning with wrong Lat/Long, but not everyone is doing the same. This is a downgrade in my opinion

Comment

Well my account has been disabled, so I guess itīs not a problem anymore.

feederdisabled.JPG

I hope there is a reason that will be given by support, that I have now contacted. I donīt think I've been too rude in my complaints.
                              Last edited by hansp; 2022-05-25, 16:25. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

Working...
                              X