Recommendation for ADS-B receiver and Antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for ADS-B receiver and Antenna

I recently setup a feed to flightradar24 and a bunch of other sites.

I bought this from - Nooelec NESDR Smart v4 Bundle (from Amazon) and the antenna is near a window on the 2nd floor of my house. The max flights that this setup has picked up is about 80 and the max distance 120nm. The NooElec Ads-b runs very hot though.

What stats are ya'll getting with your setup?

I'm tempted to buy this antenna and keep it by the window - 1090 MHz ADS-B Antenna - 66 cm / 26 in (from Amazon)

I'm sure it'll pick up more distant flights.
    Because of HOA restrictions, I can't mount it on my roof and my attic has a radiation barrier, so that's not an option too, so it'll have to live by the window.

I've also heard the Flight Aware Pro Stick plus is a good receiver. (hopefully it doesn't run too hot?)

Thanks in advance. I'm enjoying this hobby
    Last edited by ronmis; 2021-08-19, 20:42.

Some statistics and a nicer interface if you care for it: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...ADS-B-receiver

All receivers run pretty hot.
    The ones with metal housing feel hot but usually are just good at cooling themselves so they feel hot while the actual chip isn't that hot for a chip.

The Fa pro+ is a good receiver yes.
    The FA antenna will likely be an improvement over a simple whip that isn't even tuned properly for 1090 MHz.

Comment

Thanks wiedehopf I installed the tar1090 interface and it definitely looks good. I also bought the antenna and pro+. will report back if there is any improvement

Comment

Hi, I recently updated from a DVB-T dongle to the FlightAware Pro Stick Plus and have been very impressed with the results.

As you can see from the stats, my average range has gone from 88nm to 131nm.

The difference in stats is purely from the dongle change.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I replaced the Nooelec + Whip antenna placed next to my 2nd floor window with the Fligthaware Pro Stick Plus + Flightaware 26" antenna at the same location.

Results
          Nooelec + Whip :
          Max aircraft seen at any time during the day - 80
          Max distance - 130 nm
          Total aircraft seen during the day - 1700.

Flightaware setup :
          Max aircraft seen at any time during the day - 148
          Max distance - 199 nm
          Total aircraft seen during the day - 2600.

The Fligthaware Pro Stick plus was warm to touch. The Nooelec was burning hot.

I'm loving the Fligthaware setup. put it in my attic briefly (it has a radiant barrier) and saw aircraft in all directions but only limited to 50nm.

I live in the Dallas, TX area and have big airports around me and in the neighboring cities. I wish I could mount the antenna on the roof, I'd get fantastic results then. But it is not an option for now :-/

Comment

This is very useful and thanks for posting: I have a very similar setup and joined FR24 today. Did you have to update the stick type in the config file or just leave it as DVB-T?

Comment

Originally posted by peterg32 View Post
              This is very useful and thanks for posting: I have a very similar setup and joined FR24 today. Did you have to update the stick type in the config file or just leave it as DVB-T?
              No change to the config file, just swapped the sticks over

Comment

UPDATE : So I finally managed to get my Flightaware antenna mounted to the Fascia of the roof outside my 2nd story bedroom window. Used a Flat SMA Male - Female cable through the window cause I didn't want to drill any holes.

Happy to note that my max flights have gone up to 210 and total flights to around 3200.

The distance however hasn't gone over 200nm, wonder why. Nevertheless I am happy.

Flat cable I purchased - https://store.rokland.com/products/r...ension-pigtail (bought the RP-SMA by mistake, so had to buy adapters)

Adapters - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (so that I could connect the RPSMA flat cable to my coax and blue Prostick)

This should work too without any additional adapters - https://www.data-alliance.net/flat-s...ch-for-window/

Used this mount - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know if y'all have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by ronmis View Post
                  The distance however hasn't gone over 200nm, wonder why. Nevertheless I am happy.
                  Because the Earth is round and the radio signals with that frequency go in straight lines (almost like the light).
                  Try this:
                  HeyWhatsThat

Comment

Originally posted by SoNic67 View Post

Because the Earth is round and the radio signals with that frequency go in straight lines (almost like the light).
                    Try this:
                    HeyWhatsThat
                    Thank you. The heywhatsthat outline matches what I see on my map. Looks like from my location around 200nm is max.

Funny thing is I feed data to both flightaware and flightradar. Flightaware reports about 2000 positions reported above 200nm and Flightradar reports 0. They probably use different algorithms to calculate that value.

Comment

Working...
                    X