Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPi v1.2 running FR24feed v 1.0.23-8 should I upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oblivian
    replied
    It's a much longer drawn out process to try keep things as is. But you can go 7 to 8 and then 8 to 10

Leave a comment:

• HikokiOtaku
    replied
    Yes may be old but it works, those new O/S look great but I'm guessing they would completely wipe the SD Card and so take my VPN server with it, I don't want to re-code it all over again.

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    wheezy is old ... you'd want to start with a fresh image: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...ADS-B-receiver

Leave a comment:

• HikokiOtaku
    replied
    Thanks as always Oblivian for your quick and helpful reply.

Sadly didn't work for me, got quite a few errors, even tried updating the O/S (Wheezy). I kept getting the 'Receiver Down' error.

In the end I reverted to a previous saved disk image which now works a treat.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Originally posted by HikokiOtaku View Post
    Similar question to the original, I'm on v1.0.13-2 from when I started in 2013, everything seems to be happy but just wondering if I should upgrade and is it easy enough to do.
    Sudo apt-get update
    Sudo apt-get install fr24feed
    Reboot when done.

Done.

It will simply update.
    but if your base OS is well behind. It might need an architectural change and upgrade too

Leave a comment:

• DrRobin
    replied
    Hi,

FR24feed 1.0.26 & 1.0.27 both reported the same number of hits, but they both missed reporting positions for me. My position total was around a half with either compared to 1.0.23-8. So I can recommend 1.0.23-8.

I am not sure which version of Dump1090 you use but I can recommend either dump1090-mutability dev v1.15 or readsb/tar1090. I suggest starting with a new SD card and build a new image it will be quicker than trying to update your existing image and then you can just swap the cards over, if it doesn’t work out. The interface of readsb/tar1090 has some nice features which dump1090-mutability doesn’t have and I quite like it, but ultimately they do the same job, capture ADSB messages.

If you are installing readsb/tar1090 wiedehoph’s first post has links to some excellent guides. For dump1090-mutability follow abcd’s guides on this forum

Hope it helps, just my experience.

Robin

Leave a comment:

• HikokiOtaku
    replied
    Similar question to the original, I'm on v1.0.13-2 from when I started in 2013, everything seems to be happy but just wondering if I should upgrade and is it easy enough to do.

Leave a comment:

• DrRobin
    replied
    Thanks,

Interesting I had so much noise before.

When I loaded fr24feed v 1.0.23-8 for some reason it didn't restart and was still running 1.0.26-9, I just didn't notice as FR24 web page only updates every hour. I restarted it later yesterday and my position count has gone back up in FR24. Today it's nearly back to where it was prior to changing from dump1090-mut.

I will let it run for a day or two on readsb, then might try the old SD card with dump1090-mut but I don't expect there to be too much difference in positions reported, I just want to see what happens with the single message tracks.

Robin

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    Single message track is just noise.

FR24 statistics is not something i speculate about as i can't look under the hood.
    Could be they changed the reporting of stats with the versions.
    But really if your local stats show you performance is fine then performance is fine.

Leave a comment:

• DrRobin
    replied
    I have removed FR24Feed 1.0.27-2 and gone to 1.0.26-9, same result and then to 1.0.23-8, again same result. I did notice a significant difference in the ADSB Tracks seen graph, see below:

graphs1090-2.JPG
    Data up to 4th May was with dump1090-mutability, the 5th was the day of change over (note the gap) and then the second half of the 5th and 6th May was with readsb (I copied the historical data). The tracks with more than one message are roughly the same, but the tracks with single message are much reduced (about a half to a third). Nearly all of the other graphs are roughly the same before and after the SD card change.

Is this a clue as to why I am getting far fewer positions to FR24 with readsb than I was with dump1090-mutability?

Leave a comment:

• DrRobin
    replied
    I appear to have a problem with FR24Feed, I am getting much lower positions reported in in FR24 Stats screen since moving from FR24feed v1.0.23 to 1.0.27-2, although the number of hits is broadly the same. In addition if I look in tar1090 and graphs1090 the distance, number of messages and number of positions is about the same before and after moving from dump1090-mutability and v1.0.23 to readsb and v1.0.27.

For most of the last week my hits have peaked at 21,000/hr and 10,000 positions (09:00 UTC), now the hits are still peaking at 21,000 but positions have dropped to peak around 4,000 (09:00 UTC). The stats on FR24 feeder page for positions and peak distance are significantly lower for every hour of the day since upgrading. If I watch tar1090/graphs1090, wait a while and then look on FR24 stats page, a number of aircraft I see just don't appear.

It is almost as if I am just not forwarding a significant amount of positions.

I have tried running sudo service fr24feed status, but it doesn't show any faults.

Is there anything I can do to get more information or is this a known problem?

Leave a comment:

• DrRobin
    replied
    To answer your earlier questions,

sudo journalctl -u fr24feed --no-pager
    [Robin] I printed a section of this above, it went on for several pages so didn't show it all.

Is tar1090 (using reasdb data) working?
    That's the local interface.
    [Robin] Yes, tar1090 & readsb are both working correctly. They are the only things installed, dump1090-mut has never been installed on this new build.

Also because i see something strange, what's the output for this:

file /bin/rm
    [Robin] I didn't get round to trying this as the following fixed it.

I started again, using

sudo apt update
    sudo apt install -y perl wget
    sudo apt remove -y fr24feed
    sudo adduser --system --no-create-home fr24 sudo rm /tmp/fr24 -rf mkdir /tmp/fr24 cd /tmp
    sudo rm /tmp/fr24 -rf
    mkdir /tmp/fr24
    cd /tmp

wget -O fr24.deb https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/...27-2_armhf.deb

sudo wget -O /etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wi...24feed.service
    sudo systemctl enable fr24feed
    sudo adduser --system --no-create-home fr24
    sudo systemctl restart fr24feed
    sudo journalctl -u fr24feed -ef

I already had my user settings and it sprang in to life, working correctly. I am not sure if that second 'adduser' line is really required or if something went wrong first time I installed from the start, but it is now fixed.

Thanks for all of your help.

Robin

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    No it's in the guide: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...-fr24-optional
    ( and not i haven't changed it just now)

Leave a comment:

• DrRobin
    replied
    Hi,

Okay, I found this post (17/50) in https://discussions.flightaware.com/...-fr24/70143/18

Which had the following

I put the following in and it fixed the problem.

sudo wget -O /etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wi...24feed.service
    sudo systemctl enable fr24feed
    sudo adduser --system --no-create-home fr24
    sudo systemctl restart fr24feed
    sudo journalctl -u fr24feed -ef

It seems to be the 'adduser' line which is missing in the guide.

Robin

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    Yes, check the log as instructed in the guide: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...-fr24-optional

sudo journalctl -u fr24feed --no-pager

Is tar1090 (using reasdb data) working?
    That's the local interface.

Also because i see something strange, what's the output for this:

file /bin/rm

Leave a comment:

Working...
X