Raspberry Pi Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Status

I've had a little bit of difficulty with my Raspberry Pi feeder after an update on the Pi. I think I've that sorted now, but while trying to sort it, I realised that I don't fully understand some of the status message. Is there a guide anywhere to what the information means when I do sudo fr24feed-status?
    Much of it 'appears' to be obvious but that doesn't necessarily mean that it means what I think it means! So I would be grateful if someone could point me to any documentation that explains it.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo fr24feed-status
    [ ok ] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process: running.
    [ ok ] FR24 Stats Timestamp: 2021-02-24 16:45:59.
    [ ok ] FR24 Link: connected [TCP].
    [ ok ] FR24 Radar: x-xxxx.
    [ ok ] FR24 Tracked AC: 0.
    [ ok ] Receiver: connected (0 MSGS/0 SYNC).
    [ ok ] FR24 MLAT: ok [UDP].
    [ ok ] FR24 MLAT AC seen: 0.

Here is my understanding, which might be wrong!
    The Feeder/Decoder process. Presumably this means that the service (program) is running on my pi. This being the service that uploads any data collected to FR24. It doesn't mean that any data is being collected nor uploaded, but rather that the service that attempts to collect it and upload it is running and will attempt to do so.

Time stamp is the time that this information is correct as it.
    Link: in this case means that it's connected to the FR24 server using TCP. So I've got a connection from my pi to FR24.
    Radar is just my radar identity
    Tracked: is the number of aircraft currently within range of my receiver
    Receiver connected (0 msgs/0 sync). The connected part I'm assuming means that it can see and read messages from my dongle. What do the msgs and sync part mean? Sometimes I see the msgs figure increase before returning to 0. What's the implication of this?
    MLAT. I'm not really sure of this. It's failed until at least one aircraft is seen. I think it means that I've received at least one aircraft MLAT data back from FR24. But it could have failed since. I mean if I've received 1 MLAT data back from FR24 but since lost the connection, will this remain "OK"?
    MLAT seen: Not sure exactly what this mean.

Any help would be very useful.

Thanks
    Colm

So i'm not sure exactly what is going on but it seems some update is creating issues.

I'm a fan of not starting the decoder from fr24feed and instead starting a separate one.
    I'd recommend installing readsb (or dump1090-fa) via one of my scripts: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...alk-to-the-sdr

Usually this clears up all issues and if it doesn't the logging is much better so you can actually check what's not working.

Comment

From what we can gather, as there is no actual documentation..

[ ok ] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process: running.
      Uploader/Main package started - should expect this most the time

[ ok ] FR24 Stats Timestamp: 2021-02-24 16:45:59.
      Statistics package/capture of data started

[ ok ] FR24 Link: connected [TCP].
      Double tasked - confirmed talking to FR24 servers do get config/upload. And to chosen receiver/decoder in config (but can falsely say OK in this window, even if not as long as SOMETHING answers, even if it fails 2 seconds later)
      If server is down, this seems to report it. But if server up, and your receiver connection re-trying... anyones guess if accurate.
      As wiedehopf suggests, a log showing the first min or so startup is more valuable here for actual issues when using dump1090/sticks unless the server is 100% dead.

[ ok ] FR24 Radar: x-xxxx.
      Assigned radar based on Key/Acct

[ ok ] FR24 Tracked AC: 0.
      How many tracked items currently received and being sent to server

[ ok ] Receiver: connected (0 MSGS/0 SYNC)
      How many packets of data your receiver being captured
      [ ok ] FR24 MLAT: ok [UDP].
      Connection to secondary server up - ready to send MLAT FROM you to server (it doesn't come in like you suggest, that is other providers. here.. only out)

[ ok ] FR24 MLAT AC seen: 0.
      How many non-GPS/ADSB sending aircraft currently. (need 2x reference aircraft with position + 1+ non position ones before it will actually start so bottom 2 may show 'DOWN' until then)
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thank you both.

I relation to the Receiver connected, what's the difference between MSGS and SYNC? And is it ok that the number goes up and then back down? ie it's a current figure rather than a cumulative one?

Comment

Again, Guess work..

But plausible. Messages received by uploader from receiver. Or messages sent to FR24. With sync likely being the occasional stats upload to the separate stats server (number of different individual aircraft HEX seen and so on, distances we think are worked out server side once received)

- Sometimes the SW will block sending duplicate data if told to if a lot are sending it, just to give it less work to filter out once it arrives. This could also be the differences

From your acct settings on the web page once logged in, you'll see aircraft stats. That's done from a different box/server/connection. And makes everyone freak out when they don't update.
          Despite the real logs on the feeder being the best way to check connectivity rather than the stats which are occasional update.
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Brilliant. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X