Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for a Receiver.

Good morning one and all.

I have recently applied for a receiver but I am wondering if I am wasting my and FR24s time due to my location.
    I live on the South East coast of England, and from my roof the next bit of land is France, and I have a complete, unobstructed 360° view of the sky.
    My concern is that my part of the world may be stuffed full of FR24 feeders and therefore they have no need for me.
    Is there a database of UK FR24 locations that I can check to see if I stand a chance of getting one of the units?

Apologies if this post is in the wrong section. Move or delete as you see fit.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I'll keep my fingers crossed I can be of use to FR24.

Stay safe,

Chris.

I'm not aware of a publicly available map showing the locations of FR24 supplied receivers or those using their own equipment. The following may help but I suspect FR24 is giving priority to locations where is has limited or no coverage and airports. I could be wrong. Wait and see.

✈ Take a closer look at New Flightradar24 ADS-B Receivers Activated in December 2020, learn more about flight tracking and get the latest aviation news with Flightradar24.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Okay, thanks for that.
      64 years of age and I'm still like a kid at Christmas when it comes to waiting :-)

Comment

The UK has lots of receivers ... unlikely they need more but you never know.

You can get started with a basic setup for as little as around $70 or so ... probably the same in pounds or Euros (prices are different everywhere).
        Proper setups with an outdoor antenna will be a little pricier, probably a total for around $130 to $180 and with all things the sky is the limit. (but there are diminishing returns)

Solutions to common problems using dump1090 variants and ADS-B feeders - wiedehopf/adsb-wiki

Solutions to common problems using dump1090 variants and ADS-B feeders - wiedehopf/adsb-wiki

Comment

Thanks for the links.
          The trouble is I am new to this game so trying to work out what is needed and what goes with what is all Greek to me.
          I either need someone to say 'get this, this, and this. Then plug this into this and that, and away you go' or, 'just but this ready to go setup'.

Comment

If my application for a receiver is refused, am I notified?

Comment

Originally posted by Helmetfire View Post
              Thanks for the links.
              I either need someone to say 'get this, this, and this. Then plug this into this and that, and away you go' or, 'just but this ready to go setup'.
              Google "PiAware - build your own ADS-B ground station for integration ..."

If my application for a receiver is refused, am I notified?
              One used to be notified but a lot's changed since my time.

Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

I have a feeling this is going to be a 'No go'.

Thanks for your help.
                Chris.

Comment

It has been said that there are many 'feeders' here in the UK, but you would not think so when you see the feed. Taken a couple of minutes ago.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

What i linked pretty much tells you what you need.

Antenna + coax + SDR + RPi (with power supply and sd-card)
                    (just choose one of the products mentioned for each ... find a retailer for the UK .... connect everything .... write the sd-card and so forth)

Really it's not that hard ;P

Comment

Thanks.
                      I have looked at it all again and you are right, not difficult.
                      If I may just ask one more question.
                      Which is the better choice 5.5dBi or 8.5dBi for the antenna?

Comment

Originally posted by Helmetfire View Post
                        It has been said that there are many 'feeders' here in the UK, but you would not think so when you see the feed. Taken a couple of minutes ago.
                        It's very quiet these days, the Covid-19 affect.

That screenshot looks OK to me.
                        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

What about my question above?

Comment

The Covid-19 affect indeed! It looks strange. I have been learning a lot of strange things lately. Did you know the back side of the striking face of a hammer is called a peen? source
                            Last edited by KarlieBoeBoe; 2021-02-27, 01:59.

Comment

Can someone please answer my question about dBi preference?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X