Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Question?

Hi there,

Just browsing through the fr24feed.ini and I see the last couple of lines state;

mlat="yes"
    mlat-without-gps="yes"

So it got me thinking...dangerous I know...but what - if any - advantages might installing a GPS HAT have when it comes to virtual radar?

I was thinking of using one of my Pi's as a Stratum-1 NTP Server which would necessitate the use of a GPS HAT and I could kill two birds with one stone here.

Thanks & kind regards,
    -=Glyn=-
    Last edited by GlynH; 2020-11-20, 12:05.

That option is only for Radarcape or rather their custom version of it.
    At least that's my best guess.

A GPS clock is only helpful if it's directly connected to the receiver to give each sample a timestamp.
    USB introduces completely unknown timing.

Comment

Ah thank you for the reply weidehopf.

After posting the above I read some of the excellent guides in particular the FR24feed uploader - Additional Info sticky and saw the line;

RPi MLAT will NOT be enhanced with a USB GPS module

But then wondered if the USB GPS Module was the same thing as the Uputronics GPS HAT that connects directly to the GPIO header?

The Uputronics Raspberry Pi GPS/RTC Expansion Board provides a modern multi GNSS GPS receiver and hardware RTC with no soldering required. It can be connected to all Raspberry Pi boards with the 40-pin (2x20) header. New version 6.3 now with Flash & USB-C header for connection to PC or Mac! Featuring PPS (Pulse per

Thanks & kind regards,
      -=Glyn=-
      Last edited by GlynH; 2020-11-20, 14:42.

Comment

Working...
      X