How do I install a file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I install a file?

How do I install a file such as something like this into my Pi fr24feed_xxxxxxx_armhf.deb.zip ???

(1) Extract .deb from .zip
    Code:
    ​​​sudo tar xvzf fr24feed_xxxxxxx_armhf.deb.zip

(2) Install extracted .deb file
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_xxxxxxx_armhf.deb

Comment

If you are trying to rollback to an older version to try stop the restart error..

Hi, have been running my feeder on an RPi2 (Buster) for some months without any really serious problems. But since the latest update of the fr24 feeder, feeding stops randomly. The status page of the feeder shows 0 aircrafts tracked and 0 uploaded. Also the Dump1090 screen shows no planes. After a sudo reboot all is fine for a
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

In trying to find solution to my station going off line I was given I file by tech support. I was asked if I would install to test to see if it helped or solved the problem. I have no idea what it is about. If it is as you describe I'm not so sure I want to do that...

Comment

What's the full filename provided.
          25-3 = stable, before DNS/IP changes

26-5 = Reports of not restarting properly started (your feed will also go offline is there is no signal for a while and it auto restarts)

if it is 26-6 or more. They are providing a test version
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

It is s test version 1.0.26-7
            Doesn't do me any good bcz I don't know how to install it.

Comment

I appreciate abcd567 reply but I'm not conversant with where to put the file so that the pi can access it?

Comment

It needs to be transferred using ftp or similar. Or remove the SD card, into a PC and copy it to a common area.

Or if it is a web link, using wget like in my example

Comment

Or SCP while in putty/ssh

https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...ess/ssh/scp.md

Or on a USB stick

Comment

Originally posted by verdi View Post
                    It is s test version 1.0.26-7
                    Doesn't do me any good bcz I don't know how to install it.
                    (1) Use an SCP program like WinSCP to transfer file from your Windows computer to RPi

(2) Once the file is in RPi, extract .deb from .zip
                    Code:
                    ​​​sudo tar xvzf fr24feed_1.0.26-7_armhf.deb.zip
                    (3) Install extracted .deb file
                    Code:
                    sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.26-7_armhf.deb
                    Last edited by abcd567; 2020-10-07, 00:31.

Comment

I have the file. I'm not conversant enough with all of this to do what needs to be done...

Comment

Then use my command linked earlier. And use the older version as the test instead. Until the new one is released to all.

Comment

This is also a perfect case where admission should be up-front. And users here asked to be select testers to prevent what happened, happening. Rather than deploying it to the masses and making it break like the version prior to current (which was meant to be a 'fix' for something else..)

Easy enough to say 'there are limited reports of some users feeder service not restarting after received data time-out, or after a restart request - please contact us with your logs if you feel you may be experiencing this for a test version to diagnose/test'

Comment

It is high time that the fr24feed is written from scratch, and existing one discarded, not worth upgrading it.

Comment

OK, today I received fr24feed_1.0.26-7_armhf.deb.zip from FR24 support by email.
                              I successfully installed it by following method:

OPTION 1 - Using Windows CMD Terminal and PuTTY:

STEP-1.1:
                              Download the file "fr24feed_1.0.26-7_armhf.deb.zip" in Windows10 folder "Downloads".

STEP-1.2:
                              Right-click on downloaded file and click "Extract All...". This will create a new folder "fr24feed_1.0.26-7_armhf.deb".

STEP-1.3:
                              Enter this new folder. Inside this new folder you will find a file "fr24feed_1.0.26-7_armhf.deb" and a folder "_MACOSX".

PuTTY-pscp-2.png

STEP-1.4:
                              You should have PuTTY installed (If not yet installed, download and install it https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~...ty/latest.html.
                              There is a commandline tool "pscp.exe" (putty scp) which is automatically installed when PuTTY is installed. Use windows10 terminal to run it and transfer file to Pi as follows:

Type cmd in windows search and press Enter. This will open the terminal. In this terminal, type following commands:

Code:
                              C:\Users\abcd>

cd Downloads

cd fr24feed_1.0.26-7_armhf.deb

pscp  fr24feed_1.0.26-7_armhf.deb  pi@192.168.0.23:/home/pi/

## NOTE-1: in above command, replace 192.168.0.23 by your Pi's actual local IP address

## NOTE-2: Below is the output of above command, showing that the file is transferred after entering Pi's password

pi@192.168.0.23's password:
                              fr24feed_1.0.26-7_armhf.d | 3318 kB | 3318.7 kB/s | ETA: 00:00:00 | 100%

STEP-1.5:
                              SSH to Pi using PuTTY and issue following commands to install the new version 1.0.26-7

Code:

sudo reboot

fr24feed-status

SCREENSHOT OF WINDOWS10 TERMINAL (opened by typing cmd in Windows10 Search)

PuTTY-pscp.png

OPTION 2 - Using WinSCP:

STEP-2.1:
                              Download the file "fr24feed_1.0.26-7_armhf.deb.zip" in Windows10 folder "Downloads".

STEP-2.2:
                              Right-click on downloaded file and click "Extract All...". This will create a new folder "fr24feed_1.0.26-7_armhf.deb".

STEP-2.3:
                              Enter this new folder. Inside this new folder you will find a file "fr24feed_1.0.26-7_armhf.deb" and a folder "_MACOSX".

PuTTY-pscp-2.png

STEP-2.4:
                              Download and install WinSCP.
                              WinSCP is a free file manager for Windows supporting FTP, SFTP, S3 and WebDAV.

Run WinSCP.
                              On main menu, go to "Sessions" >> "Sites" >> "Site Manger" and enter Pi's IP address and password and login to Pi.

WinSCP-1b.png

STEP-2.5:
                              After login it will show two panes. Left pane shows files in your Windows Computer, right one shows files in your Pi. Adjust these so that Windows pane shows files in folder "Downloads/fr24feed_1.0.26-7_armhf.deb" and Pi's pane shows folder "/home/pi".

IN Windows folder you will see file "fr24feed_1.0.26-7_armhf.deb". Right click it and select "Upload". See screenshot (1) below.
                              After you have clicked "Upload", the file will be transferred to Pi's folder "/home/pi/". See screenshot (2) below

Screenshot (1)

WinSCP-1.png

Screenshot (2)

WinSCP-2.png

STEP-2.6:
                              SSH to Pi using PuTTY and issue following commands to install the new version 1.0.26-7

Code:

sudo reboot

fr24feed-status

Last edited by abcd567; 2020-10-11, 01:39.

Comment

Working...
                              X