Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coordinates wrong...and a few other questions

Hi people,

Finally got round to getting a Pi, woop! great stuff, over the moon that I can start feeding again.

I have an old EUROSTICK DX 25-2000MHz BASE SCANNER ANTENNA, attached up on the chimney, it's 25 - 2000MHz and I believe that the radio signals are 1060MHz, So I should be good to go with that?

Also, no way on earth can I get my feed to work on USB/Beast it has to be TCP even though that goes against the instructions.....as long as it's online does that matter?

And one last thing, I can never get the coordinates correct as I live in a -1 area, I've for years always struggled to find the correct settings for the dump1090 etc. Any help on that would be super.

Thanks again.

I can never get the coordinates correct as I live in a -1 area
    Do you mean -1 timezone or 1 degree west ?

ylis

Comment

If you have a beast. You need to also specify USB settings. Or is it a USB DVBT device?
      For instance /dev/ttyUSB0 is needed for an actual BEAST
      And the port speed.

Or if you have something that uses Dump1090, there may be some extra arguments to specify - What software install method did you use.

As for the antenna, correct frequency is 1090. Right at the top end of that antenna. Although it *may* work, it isn't optimised so performance will likely be better with a simple 67mm wire.

For the co-ords, find your location in maps.google.com and the correct format appears in the address bar link, only need the first 3 decimals from memory.

Adjust them on fr24 vs local map is a different thing, Which bit do you think is currently set incorrect.
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks for the help, I think I'm all sorted, followed your install help pages on hear, I have the USB DVB-T Realtek RTL-2838, I edited the "dump1090" file, rebooted and all good, it's just the initial set up, when it asks you to input it as a "XX.XXXXX" and I start of with "-1 degree west......"

Hoping the aerial will work, it be a shame wasted, had an old radio on there......

Comment

Wow, I chopped that little indoor aerial down and seen the range now! amazing!

27-05-2020 08-59-54.jpg
          Last edited by datastreem; 2020-05-27, 08:38.

Comment

Not too short I hope! That 67mm I said may not be accurate best to verify on the antenna thread, meant to take into account the base too.

But if you noticed it, has to be a good thing
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks yeah I seen the thread and the pics about taking into consideration the bit that's in the base, I'm well chuffed, I haven't got my connection yet to test the one that's up on the chimney, but amazing results just of chopping it.....

Comment

can I just ask one more question? the Mhz of the antenna is 25-2000MHz, and if the planes are 1090, you know when you say "right on the border" for the frequency? surly this is only middle of it's range?....

Thanks

Comment

1090Mhz is only 10Mhz off the top end max tuned range. On a wide band, the middle is likely to be far better as gain drops to the lower/upper edges.
                  Because they are designed for sensitive tuned front ends that are in scanners it matters a bit less.
                  ADSB is a bit of an exception as it is near microwave/cellular and the USB sticks are not as sensitive or get flooded/overlapped.

Much like the fitpower tuners that can't do 1090 as they are not sensitive enough/able to properly shift to 1090 at the outter end

Mobile phone towers range from 850Mhz-1.5Ghz (1050Mhz) often have spill that the sticks get which is why some also have issues with nearby tower noise. Having a broad antenna that covers that can have a adverse effect

But like I said, you won't know unless you try it. But a tuned one, is usually always better than a broad range

Comment

Thanks, I'm learning all the time, sorry if that was a super n00b question, I'll have to have a read back over you post and do some reading up on it.

Great stuff, thanks

Comment

thought I'd drop you a picture in...

sTlqhIj.jpg

LB32WJQ.jpg

I thought I'd give the tin can a go but it didn't look to good in the morning.......

RXECzhU.jpg

UZx7cBh.jpg

Last edited by datastreem; 2020-05-28, 00:32.

Comment

Trial Run Results for Four Sizes of Ground Planes

Trial Run Results for Three Types of Whip Antennas

Last edited by abcd567; 2020-05-28, 01:04.

Comment

thanks man, it's dead interesting.......that's the tuts that I followed about cutting the antenna.....

Comment

Tin can added 3.00am.....here's the results....

NGXe6OS.jpg

JqPh2eR.jpg

Comment

Re the picture of the modified whip - the wire wrap used is likely adding additional inductance and capacitance ( L & C ) to the "electrical" length of the antenna.Not known what this would be at 1090MHz but it could affect the recommended 67mm.

ylis

Comment

Working...
                              X