Coordinates wrong...and a few other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ylis View Post
    Re the picture of the modified whip - the wire wrap used is likely adding additional inductance and capacitance ( L & C ) to the "electrical" length of the antenna.Not known what this would be at 1090MHz but it could affect the recommended 67mm.

Wire turns wrapped around stud of base do not contribute any inductance or capacitance (being wound on the metallic stud of base), nor affect the recommended length of 67mm.

Optimized-Whip-Steel-Tie-Wire.jpg

Coiled Collinear and Quarter Wave.jpg
    Last edited by abcd567; 2020-05-28, 23:26.

Comment

yeah thanks, I was thinking that, I thought the other was a screw off as I had 2 and after a quick twist of the pliers it's snapped off, thus the copper wire. oh well, I'm enjoying the feeding, after I test the EUROSTICK, I think I'll just go down the dedicated antenna.

EDIT

Oh just seen the above....strange then why I'm not getting better reception like you guys with a tin.
      Last edited by datastreem; 2020-05-29, 05:47.

Comment

Originally posted by datastreem View Post
        Oh just seen the above....strange then why I'm not getting better reception like you guys with a tin.
        I get better reception because I use a dongle which has a built in LNA (RF amlifier). In one of the photos this dongle is visible. It is the orange color Pro Stick from Flughtaware. I purchased it from Amazon.

Comment

aha! I see, thanks a lot for that. The pic with the long wipp, that looks good, how did that get on?

Comment

The pic with the long wipp, that looks good, how did that get on?
            Seems somewhat better than the 52 mm whip. Could not compare conclusively due to exteemely low traffic during covid19 pendamic.

Comment

I know, I mean I decide to set up a flight radar when there are NO planes in the sky, there was 9 over the UK the other night, that has to go down in history! and of course setting up a system that needs "live" aircraft has been a mare with testing etc. what a time to be alive!

I have nothing to do today, like a big chunk of the worlds population, so I think I'll make one and give it a go.

Thanks

p.s any reason it's curled over at the end?

Comment

p.s any reason it's curled over at the end?
                I wanted to see if reducing length can improve, but did not want to cut it. I therefore bend it over instead of cutting. If needed, I can straighten it to go back to original length

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                  1090Mhz is only 10Mhz off the top end max tuned range.

Mobile phone towers range from 850Mhz-1.5Ghz (1050Mhz) ....
                  What am I missing? 1090MHz is 10MHz off of 1100MHz, approximately in the middle of the range of 25-2000 ? 1.5GHz would be 1500MHz, no?

Comment

Missing that it's been a month after I apparently cocked up some blurry eyed maths at close to midnight after working through lockdown

But still likely over kill (may even too much for a budget stick) chucking a heap of connectors/cable on a broad range antenna given some of the ranges achieved with the antenna that come with em or a short wire
                    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

I tried the antenna, it was pants, I picked up way less aircraft over such a short period of time, I'm back to that little one!

Just built this today but having to wait for the mcx connection to arrive before I can try it.

(heating the outer case up when putting the wire in is way easier than bending the wires, alas, I got a tiny nick in the side of course on the 2nd last'ish wire getting inserted)

20200619_145239.jpg

Comment

I tried the antenna, it was pants, I picked up way less aircraft over such a short period of time, I'm back to that little one!
                        Yes, the wire collinear with coil are very sensetive to dimensions of coil Only 1 or 2 mm error in coil length or dia can make antenna poor. The first one I made was good, but the second one I made with same measurements was bad.

An easier antenna is the one which uses stub instead of coil. I have made 2 like it and both work much better than the coiled one. See details here:

Thread: Best Antenna, Post #2889

​​​​​​
                        Just built this today but having to wait for the mcx connection to arrive before I can try it.

(heating the outer case up when putting the wire in is way easier than bending the wires, alas, I got a tiny nick in the side of course on the 2nd last'ish wire getting inserted)
                        Yes the Quick Spider is a good DIY antenna as it is not sensetive to small dimensional errors of few mm.

Comment

In think he was meaning the full band discone on the roof was no good while the diy 66mm was fine so now onto a spider
                          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

abcd567 Yeah sorry my bad, the antenna that's up on the roof (the wide-band one) was rubbish for tracking etc. I'm blown away with the range that I get from the small antenna that I made (see previous pics in post) so yeah if it's called a "spider" looking forward to getting that set up as I like experimenting.

The old discone can be used for my SLDR set up.

Thanks

on the picture of the spider mine is going to run direct from the USB adaptor to the "spider" is there any reason you have it split and re-connected and the blue disk?

Thanks
                            Last edited by datastreem; 2020-06-20, 09:14.

Comment

on the picture of the spider mine is going to run direct from the USB adaptor to the "spider" is there any reason you have it split and re-connected and the blue disk?
                              That blue plastic disk is NOT required.
                              I put it as a platform for conveniently interchanging various DIY antennas I used to experiment with.
                              I just screwed/unscrewed the F-male connectors of my DIY antennas on the top of F-female barrel connector fixed to the blue plastic disk.
                              The F-male connector on the Coax going to DVB-T was screwed to lower side of F-female barrel connector.

Spider on Disk-R.jpg

Cantenna on Disk.jpg

The blue disk is actually lid of a plastic jar put upside-down

Cantenna Inside Jar-R.jpg
                              Last edited by abcd567; 2020-06-21, 00:33.

Comment

awesome thanks!
                                Last edited by datastreem; 2020-06-29, 08:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X