Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long time tracker, now contributor. Why do I not see accurate range info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long time tracker, now contributor. Why do I not see accurate range info?

Hi all. I've fed intermittently for a decade, and now have a spare pi zero to dedicate to feeding. Happy to be part of the community.

It will get an antenna on the roof (30ft AGL, (300 azdeg NE 10 deg elev, 60 azdeg 30 deg elev S), near Masterton, New Zealand, I don't see a lot of traffic) eventually, but antenna is currently just a quarter wave in my second floor window with a NE aspect.

I'm seeing craft out to 46nM, but my feed status shows max/avg range as zero. Why is this?

I had a few trickies in the setup. Started with the pi distribution, unsure if pi zero was supported. It seems to work fine, but for the range stuff. I've got dump1090 running on an adjacent linux box, separate RTL2832, with similar contacts. That was after I ascertained that the antenna on the pi was defective and it was replaced. (trimmed to quarter wave at 1090). Now getting 8 aircraft a day rather than 1 or 2. Which is realistic. I'm off the major flight paths.

Have an Orange Pi PC which I intend to dedicate as the permanent feed, if I can get it to work fine. The Pi Zero seems OK at the moment.

Have run Linux as a plaything for 30 years, and as a prime operating system for six, dropping Windows in 2014, but pretty much a noob with the command line and the internals. Go easy, please. I spent the bulk of my time with DOS, Win3, Win95, OS2, OS400, AIX and Cisco. Windows 8 & 10 are foreign to me. Confusing and difficult. And illogical. Fight me.

Have an Orange Pi PC which I intend to dedicate as the permanent feed, if I can get it to work fine.
    I have an OrangePiPC on whose microSD card I have written Armbian Buster image and have installed fr24feed, as well as feeders of other sites. All feeders work well.

Comment

Range calculation for FR24 requires a certain number of positions, i'm not sure what the number is.
      Bad reception or few aircraft .... or even both combined could lead to what you see, it's probably normal.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
        Range calculation for FR24 requires a certain number of positions, i'm not sure what the number is.
        Bad reception or few aircraft .... or even both combined could lead to what you see, it's probably normal.
        I'm certainly getting few positions. Maybe that's what it is.

Comment

Check your registered coordinates. If you are receiving data but your range shows up as 0 then coordinates is the first thing to check as if they are incorrect, the data comes in but is deemed invalid.
          --

Comment

Working...
          X