Feeding data to Flight Radar24 and Flightaware at the same time-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by riderz49 View Post
    You wrote the it's irrelevant, when using fr24, whether MLAT is or is not working. Wouldn't it be appropriate to disable if it's working, to free any resources it might be using--like fixing a dripping faucet?
    It is irrelevant as the user does not get its benefit, but if it is working it does not give any harm either.

It is NOT like a dripping faucet, as it does NOT use any resources at user end. All mlat calculations are done at FR24 servers.

Comment

Thanks. My next question relates to the Raspberry Pi:How To Install Raspian OS + Dump1090 + FR24 Data Feeder cheat sheet. To install fr24 onto a piaware image with dump1090-fa and the piaware data feeder installed, the cheat sheet points to the instruction to install dump1090-mutability before installing the data feeder (Option 2). But it's Option 3 that specifically refers to installing the piaware image then refers to Option 2.

My question is, in what order should these packages be installed, if order is important. I have installed the Raspian image and then manually installed the piaware data feeder. dump1090-fa is also installed. My understanding is that I should next install dump1090-mutability (configured for Receiver Beast) and then install rf24.

(Sorry if any of this stuff sounds dumb. I'm just stepping my toe into Linux (somehow fascinating), and I want to be careful.

Comment

Neither. The reason there are options are they are different setup scenarios

Piaware image is the same as pi24 image.
        ​​​​​​
        Everything is already included. So you need to add the other providers alternative software separate.

Whatever one uses the usb as a usb device first, the other needs to be setup with tcp data source instead

Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

ridrz49:

You did not get the point. Each case is unique, so dont try to apply instructions of one to the other. Each has its unique order of installation of different components.

1 - You are using an image which has some version of dump1090 preinstalled

1.1 - Piaware image which has dump1090-fa & piaware data feeder pre-installed.

Install other data feeders (fr24feed, rb24feeder, pfclient etc) in any order. Configure all these (including fr24feed) to receive data from dump1090-fa at host/port 127.0.0.1:30005, format beast. Do not use receiver="dvbt" in fr24feed settings in this case.

1.2 - PI24 image which has dump1090-mutability and fr24feed pre-installed.

Install other data feeders (piaware data feeder, rb24feeder, pfclient etc) in any order, and configure these to receive data from dump1090-mutability at host/port 127.0.0.1:30005. In this image, the fr24feed is pre-configured to receiver="dvbt".

In addition to above, you have to add procargs="--net" in fr24feed settings to make dump1090-mutability data available at host/port 127.0.0.1:30005 format beast.

2. You are using an image from raspberrypi.org like Raspbian image.

This image has no adsb software preinstalled.

In this case you have to follow following sequence to have a smooth install:

First thing to be installed is decoder dump1090-mutability (or dump1090-fa).

Next install data feeder fr24feed, piaware, pfclient etc. These can be installed in any order. Configure all these (including fr24feed) to receive data from dump1090-fa at host/port 127.0.0.1:30005, format beast. Do not use receiver="dvbt" in fr24feed settings in this case.
          Last edited by abcd567; 2020-04-25, 05:33.

Comment

First, I want to say that I appreciate all the effort you all have put into this and providing help for idiots like me. abcd567, your last post (4/24 at 18:17) did the trick and tied things together for me when combined with the several quick start guides. That said, it took me several hours to get my RPi set up with both fr24 and piaware (several do-overs). fr24 seems to be working well. piaware is operational, but I can't get access to the live data. I've sought guidance from the fa discussion group (assume you don't deal with fa problems like that). Despite the mammoth effort you've put into the guides, I found them to be unclear in a lot of respects, especially for someone like me, who has virtually no experience with linux. I'm not suggesting that the guides become linux tutorials, it's just that there's a lot of information that's spread out over several different posts, some of which are very long, so the needed info is hard to locate. Also, I've found the search capacity of most discussion group software leaves a lot to be desired, fr24's included. I apologize if these seems overly critical. I understand that the contributors here are likely unpaid and volunteer their time for people like me. Thank you!!

Comment

I've noticed that there are references to feeder types of both "beast" and "beast-tcp" in this thread. Is there a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by tgm View Post
                I've noticed that there are references to feeder types of both "beast" and "beast-tcp" in this thread. Is there a difference?
                Beast on it's own is the name of a USB device. It's output data format become somewhat of a standard to follow for compatibility

Beast-tcp is a network data stream in the same format the usb device produces. But since semi standard lots of things can produce the output format.
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Hi, MLAT to fr24 from RPI v2.0 firmware is work still with dongle rtl ?

Comment

vinicius325 2.0 I presume.

Comment

Working...
                    X