Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FR24Feeder unable to connect to server

Hi All,

I've had a search on the forum and I can't find an answer to this question. Just yesterday I setup a new feeder based on the FR24 RPi image. After some mucking around to find what port I needed to open in the firewall (UDP 8099 for anyone searching later) I got it running. The issue I'm having is that it still won't connect to the feed server.

Looking at the log, it's trying to connect to 185.218.24.23 on port 8099/UDP but this IP doesn't seem to be alive or even the right IP for the feed server. If I ping feed.flightradar24.com I get 104.17.45.52 instead. Is there a way to change the feed IP in the config file? The manual doesn't show parameters that I could use but having read a number of posts I've seen a few parameters that don't exist in the manual that work in the config file.

I have disabled ipv6 as suggested elsewhere as well. I'm open for any other ideas or things to try. I also just noticed that there was a connection to australia.fr24.com:19788 so I opened that up as well but that hasn't helped, I think that is just for MLAT.

Thanks

Tux

Please give following command and post its output
    Note: For privacy reasons, before posting, replace actual value of fr24key by xxxxx

Code:
    cat /etc/fr24feed.ini

Please post output of this command also
    Code:
    sudo fr24feed-status

Comment

Hi abcd,

Code:
      pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/fr24feed.ini
      receiver="dvbt"
      fr24key="xxxxxxxxx"
      path="/usr/lib/fr24/dump1090"
      bs="no"
      raw="no"
      logmode="2"
      logpath="/var/log/fr24feed"
      mlat="yes"
      mlat-without-gps="yes"
      and

Code:
      pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo fr24feed-status
      [ ok ] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process: running.
      [ ok ] FR24 Stats Timestamp: 2020-03-20 04:41:14.
      [FAIL] FR24 Link: connecting ... failed!
      [ ok ] Receiver: connected (3917 MSGS/0 SYNC).
      [FAIL] FR24 MLAT: not running ... failed!
      Cheers

Comment

That address is alive. Just because it doesn't ping, doesn't mean it's not there

telnet 185.218.24.23 8099
        It answers.

feed.flightradar24.com is a webhosted page on cloudflare (fr24 data servers are raw, everything else is cached via CF)

Unless you have a seriously explicit router with ACLs you shouldn't need to allow for it as it's outbound initiated. But if you do you will need to run some local monitoring to ensure all the connections establish.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Hi Oblivian,

Thanks for your reply. I had considered that the address was just not responding to ICMP packets but I hadn't considered trying to talk to it with Telnet as a test to see if it was there.

I do have a very explicit router (Smoothwall + mods) so there is a bit of firewall configuration there. I re-applied my IPSEC rules and it's now come good, so it seems like it was just getting canned at the edge of my network and not ever making it onto the net.

Thanks again for the additional prompt to check my configuration and the info on what server setup, it was extremely helpful.

Cheers

Tux

Comment

Working...
          X