Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What flights am I reporting ?

Hi all
    Is there a way (command line) to list which flights my RasPi is following and reporting now ?
    Thanks

This local page on the pi should give you a map.

Alternatively, this gives you a nicer map: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-sc...for-dump1090fa

After installing it, this command is available:

view1090-fa

It will show all the planes reported by your receiver.

Comment

Thank you ! That's what I was looking for (haven't tried 1090-fa yet).
      Now I'll have to undetstand what makes a plane 'positioned' and some others not

Is all that documented somewhere on fr24 website ?

Thanks again

Comment

GPS - postitioned
        No GPS - mode-s only and no position data only altitude
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks. Now I thought GNSS positioning was one of the basis of ADS-B. Strange case then: my RPi was following a British Airways 777 just overflying my place. It was 'unpostionned' and after a while turned 'positioned'. Will try to understand that. Seems it makzs the difference between 'hits' and 'positions reported' in FR24 statistics.

Comment

An upright antenna has best signal detection to the sides. Overhead is like a large donut hole
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Overhead hole is very small usually.

If people have issues with "planes overhead", they usually have the gain set to high .... and the plane is at a lower altitude.

At least that's my experience with most complains along those lines.

Comment

Well, can't really say anything sensible about that donut hole. Right now I get 8 planes listed with ICAO id, squawk code, altitude travk, speed,,... but only 5 of them are 'positionned'.
                So it seems the ADS-B signal is received. Could those 3 miss their GNSS positioning ?
                I guess I'll have to go and read that page https://mode-s.org/decode/adsb/compa...on-report.html

Comment

If you aren't receiving a sufficient message rate from the planes, you won't get a position.

Improving reception will likely improve what you are referring to.

Anyhow reading the CPR stuff might help you understand why you need 2 CPR messages within 10 seconds before you get a position.
                  If you have dump1090-fa installed, using:

view1090-fa --show-only 401D11

Will show you the individual messages you are receiving from that plane.
                  That's the ICAO hex code or the ModeS 24 bit transponder id.
                  It should be displayed in your webinterface.

Comment

It seems the time has come to install dump1090-fa
                    Number of aircraft seen has dramatically decreased to 347 yesterday, down from 1300-1700 usually.
                    Looking forward to see how easy it will be and to discover the features.
                    Thanks !
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Keep in mind globally flight numbers are dropping drastically per day due grounding.

So the actual loss may not be as great as it seems.

Gone from 2 pages worth here to just under 1

Comment

Originally posted by pca View Post
                        It seems the time has come to install dump1090-fa
                        Number of aircraft seen has dramatically decreased to 347 yesterday, down from 1300-1700 usually.
                        Looking forward to see how easy it will be and to discover the features.
                        Thanks !
                        Numbers have decreased for everybody everywhere. Reason is cancellation of flights due to Corona Virus epidemic.

The dump1090-fa and dump1090-mutability have same engine (decoder), so reception wont improve by switching from one to another.

However dump1090-fa has better looking interface (map) and more features of displaying the information compared to dump1090-mitability.

Comment

You could also use readsb instead of dump1090-fa: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-sc...ion-for-readsb

Also supports this interface in addition to its own interface: https://github.com/wiedehopf/tar1090#tar1090

Anyhow abcd567 is correct, the decoder should be pretty much the same between dump1090-mutability 1.15, dump1090-fa and readsb

Comment

Working...
                          X