Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem fetching data from dump1090... again

Hello,
    I just installed new PI on the roof of my building, I preinstalled dump1090-mutability on it (one V3 dongle) and also rtl_tcp (other V3 dongle), the ADSB dongle is with serial 00000222.
    I did not installed the fr24feed at first because other Pi was running it until the new install was finished.
    after booting the new Pi the dump1090 worked great with the website and all.
    but after removing the fr24feed from the old Pi and install it on the new PI it did not connect to dump1090 for some reason, following some forum posts it said to download the rtl_sdr.rules.
    It did not work and since then I also get error in dump1090:
    "Problem fetching data from dump1090.
    AJAX call failed (error: Not Found). Maybe dump1090 is no longer running?
    The displayed map data will be out of date."

I did removed and purged both fr24feed and dump1090-mutability, rebooted and reinstalled dump1090-mutability and still the same error (I did also tried both dongles and still the same...)

when running dump1090-mutability in the console I do get decoded aircrafts so dongle is working...

Thanks for help
    Bar
    Bar Levy
    T-LLSD4

Incomplete info
    - is your pi with problem pi3 or pi4 or something else?
    - what is the os, raspbian stretch or raspbian buster or something else?
    - how did you install dump1090-mutability, by command "apt-get install dump1090-mutability" or by buildind it from source code?

Comment

I am using PI 3B+
      Raspbian Buster
      and installed from source code (following your guide)
      Bar Levy
      T-LLSD4

Comment

Most likely you have missed BUG FIX in step-6 of guide for installing dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev.

Code:
        sudo wget -O /etc/udev/rules.d/rtl-sdr.rules "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/osmocom/rtl-sdr/master/rtl-sdr.rules"

sudo reboot​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
          Most likely you have missed BUG FIX in step-6 of guide for installing dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev.

Code:
          sudo wget -O /etc/udev/rules.d/rtl-sdr.rules "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/osmocom/rtl-sdr/master/rtl-sdr.rules"

sudo reboot​​​​​​
          I did do it... I wrote it also in the first post

The problem started in dump1090 after I did it
          Last edited by bar182; 2020-03-03, 21:48.
          Bar Levy
          T-LLSD4

Comment

Less than a month ago, I have successfully installed dump1090-mutability on OrangePi/Armbian Buster and on Pi4/Raspbian Buster.

Just now I installed dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev from source code on Armbian Buster / OrangePi. Got exactly same problem, and bug fix did NOT work.

As the dump1090-mitability ver1.15~dev code is not being updated or modified, most likely it is bug fix file
            rtl-sdr.rules" at ​​​​​​"github.com/osmocom/rtl-sdr" has been modified resulting in failure of Bug-Fix.

This was further confirmed as I installed dump1090-mutability (EB_VERSION) by command "sudo apt-get install dump1090-mitability". The map shows the same warning (unable to fetch data) and Bug-Fix no more solves the issue.

In view of above situation, better install dump1090-fa.

Code:
            sudo dpkg --purge dump1090-mutability

wget https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.8.0_all.deb  

sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_3.8.0_all.deb  

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install dump1090-fa

Reboot Pi
            Code:
            sudo reboot
            Last edited by abcd567; 2020-03-03, 22:35.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
              Less than a month ago, I have successfully installed dump1090-mutability on OrangePi/Armbian Buster and on Pi4/Raspbian Buster.

Just now I installed dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev from source code on Armbian Buster / OrangePi. Got exactly same problem, and bug fix did NOT work.

As the dump1090-mitability ver1.15~dev code is not being updated or modified, most likely it is bug fix file
              rtl-sdr.rules" at ​​​​​​"github.com/osmocom/rtl-sdr" has been modified resulting in failure of Bug-Fix.

This was further confirmed as I installed dump1090-mutability (EB_VERSION) by command "sudo apt-get install dump1090-mitability". The mal shows the same warning (unable to fetch data) and Bug-Fix no more solves the issue.
              ok it is good to hear so it's not just me...
              is there any other good 1090 dump that can work with fr24? (using serial for spesific dongle)
              Bar Levy
              T-LLSD4

Comment

just saw your edit, I will try in few minutes

edit:
                T-LLSD4 is online again thanks!!
                Last edited by bar182; 2020-03-03, 22:48.
                Bar Levy
                T-LLSD4

Comment

To:Oblivian
                  Be prepared for a flood of complaints. The bash script for installing integral dump1090-mutability of fr24feed also has this bug-fix, which has started failing from today.

Comment

Oh Dear.

So what's the solution. Reverse/rm the sdr rules?

I think they're only needed in remote err:6 circumstances now?

Seems to be the same, just generic chipset and rules to add
                    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/os.../rtl-sdr.rules
                    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Hrm,I wonder if there are duplicate rules.

Obj posted some time ago librtlsdr0 included them too during package install.

So if anything else grabs those (ie tools etc that does librtlsdr0) and updates while fr24 has it explicit, may be a difference now
                      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

This Bug-Fix no more works after following change to file rtl-sdr.rules done 6 days ago

Commit b281473 Dated Feb 26, 2020

Use udev uaccess rules

Solution may possibly be (Untested)
                        1. Clone source code locally,
                        2. Checkout to one commit earlier than the last commit on Feb 26

Code:
                        git checkout f2a9a81
                        3. Use the file "rtl-sdr.rules" from cloned source code, after it is checkedout to commit f2a9a81
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2020-03-04, 02:08.

Comment

Something to also try may be change the order those are applied. Or edit the local

I just noticed, the new way it's been submitted has dropped the ':' from mode:="0666". So guess either that, or coming 2nd has impacted?

Be worth a try editing the rules file back to the new one but add the : back in, or put the mode 0666 first

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post

Be worth a try editing the rules file back to the new one but add the : back in, or put the mode 0666 first

I think I found a solution (untested)

In url of raw file in wget command, replace "master" by "f2a9a81", (version just before the lastest) so the command becomes like this:

Code:
                            sudo wget -O /etc/udev/rules.d/rtl-sdr.rules "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/osmocom/rtl-sdr/f2a9a81/rtl-sdr.rules"

sudo reboot
                            I am not at my home (replying by phone) so cannot test it. Will test when back home.

Comment

Code:
                              sudo wget -O /etc/udev/rules.d/rtl-sdr.rules "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/osmocom/rtl-sdr/f2a9a81/rtl-sdr.rules"    

sudo reboot

Tested.
                              YES, the above revised bug-fix works OK
                              It downloads previous version's file instead of latest version's file
                              Last edited by abcd567; 2020-03-04, 07:48.

Comment

Working...
                              X