Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi Activation Issues (Server Side)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Activation Issues (Server Side)

Hello, On December 27th as part of a general email, there was a suggestion to build an ADS-B receiver from a Raspberry Pi. "Great" I thought, I have some sitting in a box and sounds like a great re-purpose for the hardware. I ordered the Jetvision USB Dongle and antenna from Germany (took almost 6 weeks to arrive) and now I finally getting around to the configuration and activation.

All seemed to be going well up to the activation point. Not sure what is going on, but in the past 24 hours have been getting timeout errors at the (https) repo-feed URL on port 433, I have seen invalid/expired certificate errors and now getting an "apt-get" error coming back from the install_fr24_rpi.sh -- I suppose I can try and get my rpi registered and activated and registered manually, but I am likely to get the same apt-get error at some point and I think I have also spotted a typo/error in the instructions I printed.

Seems like this process has been around for quite awhile and should be pretty well vetted, So, anyone else having issues this weekend?

/larry

What have you installed on RPi?
    Pi24 image from Flightradar
    OR
    Raspbian image from raspberrypi.org

Comment

abcd567, thanks for the reply. I flashed the Pi24 image from Flightrader using Etcher.

Comment

For activation, try this command

Code:
        sudo fr24feed --signup

Comment

abcd567,

When I SSH to the RPI and execute the command as written, I am getting this as the result:

minepeon@minepeon-pi2 ~ $ sudo fr24feed --signup
          [sudo] password for minepeon:
          sudo: fr24feed: command not found
          minepeon@minepeon-pi2 ~$

Other thoughts?

/larry

Comment

If you install the image, you shouldn't be running the installer script. It's pre-installed and automated and only asks for location and email details via discovery and web activation

Or you run sign up as pointed out if not found

By the looks of that name and password prompt you have gone over and above configuring the basics?

Because now it appears that fr24feed has been removed or doesn't exist to begin with
            Please point to the instruction location you followed
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by LarryMix View Post
              abcd567,

sudo: fr24feed: command not found

Other thoughts?
              The fr24feed no more exists, most likely you unknowingly issued some command which damaged it.

To fix it, the easiest and cleanest method is to format your microSD card and write to it Pi24 image again. Please follow instructions in the post linked below. Please do not issue any commands other than those mentione in this guide:

2019 - PI24 (Image) QuickStart Guide

Please read this note in above guide under heading "STEP-6: ACTIVATION" before you start again. I quote it below for your quick reference

NOTE:
              The activation page often malfunctions, and does not list your Pi. Instead it sends you to another page which incorrectly instructs to SSH into your Raspberry Pi and execute the standard install command

Do not execute this command. It often fails without completing activation process due to GPG key problem.

Instead use the signup command given below. This command completes Signup and Activation process without any problem.

SSH to RPi (see STEP-5 above) and give following commands:
              Code:
              sudo mount -o remount,rw /  
              fr24feed --signup
              Last edited by abcd567; 2020-02-24, 23:27.

Comment

Long story short:
                To activate, do NOT go to avtivation page, and do not follow any instruction there.
                instead use these commands:

Code:
                sudo mount -o remount,rw /  
                fr24feed --signup

Comment

abcd567 & Oblivian,

Thanks for your support, it is WORKING as expected! I started from scratch, beginning with re-downloading the image. There was a 100% change in my install experience. Did the image get updated on the website since I downloaded it a few days ago? Had no issues with the most recently downloaded image. Seemed to use DHCP (vs static IP) and the activation process had no problem finding the installation on my network to get it registered and activated using the Website.

Looking forward to my participation and learning.

/larry mix

Comment

Working...
                  X